Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Glenlivet Nadurra CS - tasting notes please

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : The Glenlivet Nadurra

The Glenlivet Nadurra CS - tasting notes please

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:47 pm

As the title asks, can anyone give me some tasting notes for The Glenlivet Nadurra CS version.

Thanks,
MT
Deactivated Member

Re: The Glenlivet Nadurra CS - tasting notes please

Postby woodhill » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:56 pm

When i'm back home next week I shall oblige.

From memory though it's not much different to the DutyFree version just the alcohol comes through much stronger!
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:57 pm

What I need are the basic favours in this dram as I am looking to match it with some suitable food.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:08 pm

Lots of pears, apples, sweet fruits, sherbert, candy floss, its a bit like a sweet shop.

Here are a couple from the Glenlivet tastings...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7260&p=111620&hilit=tasting+nadurra#p111620

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7260&p=111475&hilit=tastingnote2+nadurra#p111475

Interested to see what you will match it with.... it's good in cocktails :oops:
Matt2

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:15 pm

Thanks Matt, that does indeed look like quite a challenge to match.
I'll think about which whiskies I will use and then speak to Camillo the chef and let you know.
MT

At the moment, my probable list of drams for the next Gourmet evening looks like ..... (ish, maybe ..)

Linkwood F&F
Glenlivet Nadurra CS
Caol Ila 25y CS
Balvenie Port Wood
Dallas Dhu 1978 / 23y
+1 which may be a Bowmore Darkest or Dawn .. or something else ....
Deactivated Member

Postby woodhill » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:17 pm

which port wood will that be MT the 1991/93 or the 21 yo
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:20 pm

It's a 21y Port Wood
Deactivated Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:54 pm

I think it may work well with a dessert - strawberries and vanilla ice cream ? 8)
Matt2

Postby jimidrammer » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Name: Glenlivet 16yo Nadurra, bottled 6-23-06, batch #0606A, 57.2% abv

Region: Speyside

Color: Light gold

Nose: Floral, viney, greenery, candy cane, Spruce tree, fresh cut oak

Palate: Everything in the nose magnified. Sugar, spice, tangy/tart fruit salad, mint

Body: Thin, drying, slightly chalky

Finish:The vine/spice/mint follows through to the end along with green persimmons

Notes: The aroma of Christmas, cutting the tree, all the trimmings. I can almost smell the snow. It's amazing for a malt to convey such distinct visions. Very reminiscent of the Cadenhead's Cragganmore C/S I had. As much as I'm gushing over the images, the down to earth score sets it appropriately in the middle. The F.O.R. taking the nose and palate award, but this has an astonishing clarity that puts it in good company. With a splash of water: Softer, rounder aroma; in the taste, the sweeter floral taste of Glenlivet that I've come to know and love. A tough call, water brings it back to reality; however, the full strength gives it such exceptionality. I'm glad they released this because it's just what the enthusiasts' market was clamoring for. Every other distillery should take note. Natural Cask Strength, please!

Quote: Jingle Bells

Score: 85

There is supposedly some batch variation, but I have yet to open my new batch.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:04 am

Thanks all for your help.
I have decided the Nadurra will go into The Arc and The Glenlivet 18y will be used at the Gourmet evening as this seems a little more suited to the requirements for the evening.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:40 am

here are my notes from the nadurra thread...

my notes, first tasting

the glenlivet - nadurra 16 yr cask strength un-chill filtered speyside single malt - bottled 06/06 - 57.2%

color: light hay

nose: a lot going on with this one- riesling, meyer lemon, raisin, honeyl, avender

mouthfeel: sudden alcohol, long alcohol finish in cheeks and gums..medium alcohol in the back of the throat

taste: WOW...riesling, sugar, corn, honey, vanilla, spearmint, woodsy..the first tastes bursts open with flavor, give it time before you try a second taste, floral aftertase..really nice

nose with water: sugar, banana, caramel, vanilla

taste with water: honey, grass, figs, vanilla, wood...tames the alcohol a bit and does bring out more flavors

try it neat first...wow what a burst of notes....then a few drops of water...
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Aeolus » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:22 pm

Very nice tasting notes, guys!
:thumbsup:
Why can't the pro's deliever notes like that? Clear, concise, and easily understood.
:roll:
That is precisely what makes this forum so great; the clear truthful opinions of the knowledgable consumer.

I've found the opinions here much more helpful when purchasing unknown SMSs than the pro's (in general).
:thumbsup:
Thanks again!
:D

Just my two cents worth from the peanut gallery.......
Aeolus

Postby Mandurra » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:58 pm

My tasing notes on Nadurra.

Score 95 until something bests it

None of the Bourbon overtones of some (thank god!)
Awesome nose, use a sniffer! The presence of fine Cognac.
The finish, ultra long, building to a fuity climax that really has all of those vanilla, thatch, fruits of multi-description often described but rarely delivered.
Price: great for the money though in the southeast US we must pay for all the crooked polticians who control the liquor industry. It's like getting 1.5 bottles of buzz compared to a lowly 80 proof.

I really like this Scotch. It's my favorite at this time. Best preceded with a nice peaty Scotch such as Laphroaig. Because of it's high alcohol content it can follow most any Scotch or other liquor for that matter. In fact I always suggest preceding it with another Scotch to show the power of this dram.

I don't know if I would consider this a Scotch for a main course, more aptly it can serve as dessert!
Mandurra

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:51 pm

Glenlivet Nàdurra Natural Cask Strength 16 Year Old, Bottled August 2008 – 57.6%

Colour: Bright, polished brass gold.

Nose: Sharply etched scents at the outset. Mulched grass and dandelion greens. Lightly smoked pears. A touch of vanilla. The fragrance becomes sweeter, plumper, and that much more alluring with aeration. Golden raisins. Galaktoboureko. Walnut flesh.

Palate: Edible flowers. Japanese green tea infused with ginger root and a hint of citrus. Quite oak driven as it pours. A splash of water releases the full honey and herb flavour spectrum of the distillate along with those trademark subtle notes of Highland smoke. Deceptive textural delicacy and light viscosity married to tremendous palate penetration and clarity. Very taut, clean and long.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : The Glenlivet Nadurra

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder