Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Uigeadail

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Re: Uigeadail

Postby TheTross » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:54 am

woodhill wrote:Tross! Hey Where have you been?

Yeah, sorry I've been away for a little while and haven't posted for ages - had a bit of a busy Christmas and New year, and have just got over a virus I've had for two weeks. Back to normal now though hopefully!

lawschooldrunk wrote:eating rubber? :D

Haha! :D. Seriously though, I always get a rubbery smell/taste from Uigeadail. Actually, I need to get another bottle of that at some point; the 70cl I had has long since gone and the miniature I had from a couple of nights ago is now unsurprisingly :dead:
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby EdipisReks » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:24 am

yesterday i gave a good friend of mine a 200 ML sample of Oogie. he is a wine drinker, for the most part, but i've been slowly turning him into a whisky drinker. i told him about the Oogie and, even though he had never had a smoky, peaty whisky, he wanted some. he loved it! he used expletives to describe how great it was, and he rarely curses. who woulda thunk it?
EdipisReks
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:57 am

EdipisReks wrote:yesterday i gave a good friend of mine a 200 ML sample of Oogie. he is a wine drinker, for the most part, but i've been slowly turning him into a whisky drinker. i told him about the Oogie and, even though he had never had a smoky, peaty whisky, he wanted some. he loved it! he used expletives to describe how great it was, and he rarely curses. who woulda thunk it?

Ardbeg does this to people, makes them swear when they usually don't.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:17 am

Di Blasi wrote:Ardbeg does this to people, makes them swear when they usually don't.

Haha! I've sort of experienced this myself with Ardbeg. Took a bottle of half-supped Ardbeg Ten to a do I went to a while back and opened it in front of a few people. A couple could smell it straight away and sort of pulled their faces a little, so I offered them a taste. If memory serves, one of them tried it and pulled their face even more, which immediately put the other person off tasting it altogether!

Another time whilst in the company of two good friends and, erm, inebriated, I decided to put a little bit of Uigeadail in one of their glasses of port whilst he wasn't in the room to see if he noticed. He noticed to some tune just from the smell, but proceeded to drink it anyway. Ever since that episode, the merest mention of Ardbeg has them both shuddering...

Does this make Ardbeg the Marmite of the whisky world, or are there simply a lot of heathens out there? :D
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby MoreDalmore » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:12 pm

I recently bought my first bottle of Ardbeg and I choose Uigeadail ( because of the sherry influence ( and the price tag) ) and instead of starting a new topic I decided to rejuvinate this old topic.

For now I only had 4 drams of it so bit early for me to post tasting notes.
As this is only my 3rd whisky with a ABV above 46% I tried it mostly with some water but the last 2 drams I had without water.

For now I must say the peat is more plant like to my liking and I am missing some smoke. At the moment I for instance the Talisker D.E. 1993 edition to this.

In the future I still want to try more Ardbeg like Airigh Nam Beist and the Correyvreckan but my next purchase will most likely be some softer whiskies.
MoreDalmore
Bronze Member

Postby johan brugge » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:37 pm

Get the Airigh Nam Beist while you can. It's being discontinued. And it's much different from the Uigeadail. It's much more on fruit and 'softer' flavours than the Oogie.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby Chef! » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:37 pm

At my new favorite local place to buy whisky (Total Wines, yes is rocks) they have an current inventory of about 10 bottles. I've already claimed two and plan on a couple more for safe keeping. :D

I cannot wait to try Corry and have heard a couple Oogie lovers say it's even slightly better.
Chef!

Postby Knolly » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:46 am

Chef! wrote:At my new favorite local place to buy whisky (Total Wines, yes is rocks) they have an current inventory of about 10 bottles. I've already claimed two and plan on a couple more for safe keeping. :D

I cannot wait to try Corry and have heard a couple Oogie lovers say it's even slightly better.

Personally, I really prefer the Corry over the Beastie. I was never particularly impressed with Beastie or Blasda for that matter: Corry and Oogie are definitely my favourite current Ardbeg products!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby hyperfuji » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:42 am

Knolly wrote:
Chef! wrote:At my new favorite local place to buy whisky (Total Wines, yes is rocks) they have an current inventory of about 10 bottles. I've already claimed two and plan on a couple more for safe keeping. :D

Personally, I really prefer the Corry over the Beastie. I was never particularly impressed with Beastie or Blasda for that matter: Corry and Oogie are definitely my favourite current Ardbeg products!

i agree, i much prefer the oogie over the biest
hyperfuji
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:34 pm

Am I the only one that just doesn't care for the Corry? I find way too much wine influence in both the CR and the standard release.

Maybe I need to have some more Oogie as I much prefer the ANB to the Uigedail.
Ganga
Matured cask

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder