Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Famous Grouse

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Famous Grouse , The Famous Grouse

Re: The Famous Grouse

Postby Leither » Thu May 01, 2008 3:35 pm

I think the Famouse Grouse standard blend is pretty poor, but the 'blended' malts are pretty good, if you like vatted/blended malts. I have had both the 1992 Vintage and the relatively new 10yo, in mauve livery.

The 10yo was a bit better than the '92 vintage and a very drinkable and toffee-like, if somewhat 'unchallenging', malt. As the packaging says, it contains both Highland Park and Macallan, and probably some Tamdhu and Glenturret in the mix as well from the Edrington stable.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby I_SPEY » Thu May 01, 2008 4:08 pm

There is just a little left in my " Famous Grouse Cask Strenght" 59.8%"
I love this whisky very much, as well as other FG's :P

Btw, Teachers is GREAT; it's not a SMS, but for a BS, it's one of the best,IMO. :)
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby emagination » Sun May 11, 2008 6:49 pm

Well it's been some time since I've visited this forum. It seems this thread sparked a decent sized discussion!

Last month I finally picked up a bottle of Teacher's. Only 16 bucks. Still have a little Grouse left and was able to compare. They are quite different I think. Teacher's to me has a more traditional blended scotch flavor. But this opinion may be influenced by the Grouse's caramel sweetness in contrast when tasting side by side. Though Teacher's strikes me as more traditional it is certainly more complex than other common blends I've had such as Dewars, at a smaller cost. Definitely a bargain.
emagination

Postby Gov » Sun May 11, 2008 7:59 pm

emagination wrote:Well it's been some time since I've visited this forum. It seems this thread sparked a decent sized discussion!

Last month I finally picked up a bottle of Teacher's. Only 16 bucks. Still have a little Grouse left and was able to compare. They are quite different I think. Teacher's to me has a more traditional blended scotch flavor. But this opinion may be influenced by the Grouse's caramel sweetness in contrast when tasting side by side. Though Teacher's strikes me as more traditional it is certainly more complex than other common blends I've had such as Dewars, at a smaller cost. Definitely a bargain.

I recently just picked up a big bottle of the Grouse and have been drinking Teachers for awhile now. I like both very much. Yes they are definately different. The Grouse is almost to smooth. This whisky can be very dangerous because of its smoothness. Between those two, White Horse and Grants, it covers the blends pretty well for my tastes. Sometimes I will throw in Black Bottle, Islay Mist and JWB for alittle added fun. Lately, I have really been enjoying blends very much. I think they are often overlooked and underappreciated
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun May 11, 2008 11:34 pm

My first dram tonight was a blend - one I'd never have bought myself, being a member of AA
(Ardbeg Appreciators)

But this was a wedding gift, and tonight, with a cube of ice(VERY non-me!Must be the weather...)I thoroghly enjoyed the Grouse Special Reserve 12, with echoes of Macallan Sherry Cask and a general refreshing sweetness...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Gov » Mon May 12, 2008 12:49 am

The Grouse Special Reserve 12 was very good as well. I went through a bottle a couple of months ago.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon May 12, 2008 11:01 am

I always think that Grouse is better on the nose than on the palate. But really there are a lot of better blends out there. Grouse is one of those very approachable mass market products like JWR. They are designed to be inoffensive to the maximum number of people, but in doing that they make them uninteresting and bland.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Gov » Mon May 12, 2008 5:46 pm

Willie JJ wrote:I always think that Grouse is better on the nose than on the palate. But really there are a lot of better blends out there.

I agree with the nose. The Grouse has got a great nose and is more bland on the palate. I was not expecting this whisky to be very complex, but was not expecting it to be as drinkable as it is.
Willie, can you name some of the blends you like better?
Gov
Gold Member

Postby shulaw05 » Tue May 13, 2008 12:02 am

Bought my first bottle of FG this weekend, partly based on the recommendations here and partly based on the recommendations of the store proprieter. needless to say, i'm very impressed. i got the standard 12 year (40%), and for $35 it is tough to beat. i know that the base of FG is highland park and macallan...but what else is in there? i can guarantee the next time i go to the store i'll pick up a bottle of the 18 year.
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby emagination » Tue May 13, 2008 12:30 am

Willie JJ wrote:I always think that Grouse is better on the nose than on the palate. But really there are a lot of better blends out there. Grouse is one of those very approachable mass market products like JWR. They are designed to be inoffensive to the maximum number of people, but in doing that they make them uninteresting and bland.

My knee jerk reaction to this is that I wouldn't put JWR in League with the Grouse. It was the first whisky I ever bought, wanting to try scotch and being familiar with the brand name. I hated it. Made me think I could never like scotch. But then I start thinking more logically and remember this was my first scotch and I haven't tasted it since. I'm sure it wouldn't be as bad to me this time around now having a decent amount of experience with scotch, though I still doubt I would like it nearly as much as Grouse or Teachers.

I can definitely see how The Grouse would bore some. I'm definitely not always in the mood for it, but it's a nice scotch to have around when you want something simple, easy to drink, and not have to think too much about. It's among the more affordable whiskies I keep around to prevent me from quickly depleting the more expensive bottlings in my collection :)
emagination

Postby Wave » Sat May 17, 2008 4:41 am

I tasted the 30yo Grouse at the Famous Grouse Experience (what a joke!) and really wasn't all that impressed, luckily I didn't have to pay for it. :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby hilliamash » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:29 pm

So are there thoughts on the FG 18 year blended (vatted) malt?
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby wlfe » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:15 pm

the two blends i've purchased have been grouse and teachers. i've enjoyed both of them over ice - which is primarily the reason i bought them. didn't wanna water down a single malt.

anyways they're good, and i think i like the teachers a bit better, but side by side with single malts, straight up, it's no comparison. the teachers actually smells kind of garbagey next to a lineup of single malts.

i guess my rule is blends before singles if you're having them in the same night.

that said i plan on keeping a bottle of a blend like these on hand simply because the price is right, and you don't have to feel bad adding ice or mixing up your friend a whisky sour or whatever else they're looking for.
wlfe

Postby objetti » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:35 pm

The Cutty Sark 18 yr and 25 yr I´ve found to be extraordinary blends but perhaps not in the right price range (bought the 18 yr for about 85$ and the 25 yr at 120$ here in sweden where FG standard is around 45$ but the FG 30 vatted malt is around 300$ but the Cutty 25 is so much better for much less than half the price of the FG 30)

ps Black Grouse is just over 50$ here and much better to me than FG
The FG 18 vatted is almost the same price here as what I paid for Cutty 18 but I haven´t tasted the FG 18.
objetti
Bronze Member

Postby kyorke1 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:08 pm

I always think that Grouse is better on the nose than on the palate. But really there are a lot of better blends out there. Grouse is one of those very approachable mass market products like JWR. They are designed to be inoffensive to the maximum number of people, but in doing that they make them uninteresting and bland.

Hear Hear
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby Rosebankfan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:43 pm

Emagination,
Yesterday I had the pleasure of participating in an event called the Linlithgow Marches which is a historic event dating back more than 600 years. A procession of townsfolk representing various guilds, fraternities and charitable organisations (historically many of the trades such as farmers, dyers, weavers, wrights,etc) march the boundaries of the town to ensure that the borders are safe and intact - lots of ceremony, pageantry but with an emphasis on fun. Anyway, it was standard FG which was on offer to us all day and I must say I enjoyed it greatly - not a challenging dram but enjoyable nonetheless.

What made the day and the drams particularly special was that we spent the day entertaining a delegation of around 70 of your fellow countrymen from Grapevine TX, who were visiting Scotland for the week (link to West Lothian Council and the Linlithgow Rotary Club). The Grapevine contingent had a whale of a time and really entered into the spirit of the event - they had arranged for yellow roses to be distributed through the spectators and it made for a lovely spectacle. Although principally Crown Royal and Jack Daniels drinkers, one or two of the guys had made the transition into scotch blends and even malts and talked very knowledgeably on the subject. I think they all enjoyed the FG and certainly the day overall was a great success.

They were telling me that wine making is big business also in Texas - number 5 state at the moment but with aspirations to make it into the top 3 ??

All the best

Rosebankfan
Rosebankfan

Postby hilliamash » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:46 am

Not only wine, but Texas also produces an outstanding vodka as well (Tito's). We're essentially self-sufficient here--with the exception of whisky. :-D

Now, if we could just figure out how to export a certain politician to another state--or another country...either works.

harry
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Famous Grouse label erroneous

Postby Bruichladdict » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:54 am

Can someone please explain to me the following:

- IF a blended malt, as the SWA has defined it, is a mixture of single malts only...

- THEN WHY does the FG label state: "100% blended malt whisky?"

I mean if their definition is SO clear, then why the need of the 100% qualifier? In fact I would go so far as to say that the blended malt thing is confusing to begin with, but now they are confusing their own confusion. They can't even respect their OWN regulations.

:o :insane: :shock: :roll: :?
Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Postby hilliamash » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:10 pm

Agreed! I think blended scotch versus blended malt is difficult and confusing. Vatted malt seems much more clear.
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:26 pm

Are you sure you got the right bottle ....

There are 2 NAS Famous Grouse

one a is blend and one a blended malt ...

There is also a 10, 12, 15, 18, 21 & 30 yo blended malt.

I really don't see a problem with a company stating that their scotch is a blended malt.

I come from an Irish perspective where there is not a big deal in drinking a blend as Irish blends from 12yo up are top quality blends but even the likes f Powers NAS blend is a fine whiskey

If I had my way all malts should be described as blended malt unless a single cask malt then it too could be described as a single malt and that would be my definition of a single malt.

Don't get hung up about what's on the label but what the actual whisky tastes like :thumbsup:

P.S. I have a bottle of FG bog standard blend and it does not state blended malt. On the reverse it says 'The blend is crafted from the finest malt whiskies, such as Macallan and Highland Park, married with exceptional grain whiskies........' :roll:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Bruichladdict » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:49 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:Are you sure you got the right bottle ....

There are 2 NAS Famous Grouse

one a is blend and one a blended malt ...

There is also a 10, 12, 15, 18, 21 & 30 yo blended malt.

I really don't see a problem with a company stating that their scotch is a blended malt.

I am quite sure of what was on the label:

Famous Grouse 12 yo 100% blended malt.

Now I'm not going to re-hash the whole blended malt blah-blah argument here. What I find rediculous and confusing is that if we, as consumers, accept these changes, then for the love of God, please stick to your own rules!

By using 100% in the qualifier you are opening the door to the question of...so is there a 90% or 50 % or 20% blended malt? If it is a blended malt, there is no need for a % next to that label. By adding one, they are putting in to question the nature of the product or product line...if it is <100% then it must be blended scotch then...which is CLEARLY different from a blended scotch malt whisky right? :insane:
Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Postby hilliamash » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:08 pm

IWC, I agree with you regarding the taste versus the description. I'm quite the fan of blended whiskies, and they make up the majority of the scotches that I drink. I have several SM's, and they're enjoyable---even delectable, but I still come back to blends often--but I do wish the terminology had been a bit different.

The "100%" statement seems more of a marketing gimmick---it would have to be 100% whiskies...only in Canada can they add a bit of something else (up to 9% or so) to them and still get away with calling it whisky.
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby vengey » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:15 pm

Interesting thread! I have gone from wanting to buy Famous Grouse to wanting to stay far away from it! hehe
vengey

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:57 pm

vengey wrote:Interesting thread! I have gone from wanting to buy Famous Grouse to wanting to stay far away from it! hehe

I wouldn't do that! Though I do agree it's nice to take people's suggestions and assistance, it's always good to make our own judgements AFTER tasting, since it's all so personal what we like and don't! Give it a try, you may just find a new favorite!
Di Blasi

Postby hilliamash » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:52 pm

Agreed Di Blasi! FG is a common enough scotch that you may find it out at a bar, and you could try without buying a whole bottle of it to see if you like it.

I would tell folks to have a bottle on hand, as it's reasonably inexpensive, and it is a nice simple scotch to drink that is easy to enjoy. Will it win awards for complexity? Probably not, but it is enjoyable. :)
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby vengey » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:00 pm

I have tried the bog standard famous grouse before and found it quite unpleasing. After reading some contents here I was going to try a more expensive blend but I think I'll leave it.
vengey

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:08 pm

I think it's best to taste all the whiskies you can get your hands on, that will help expand your horizons and tastes to. It's not the number one selling blend in Scotland for no reason you know!
Di Blasi

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:49 pm

Anyone care to tell me if the FG 12 is worth the extra coin or should i just stick with the standard bottling?
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:34 pm

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:Anyone care to tell me if the FG 12 is worth the extra coin or should i just stick with the standard bottling?

If you are referring to the 12 year blend "gold reserve" than I would say yes. I have had both the NAS and 12 year blend and the 12 year blend is noticably better. The 12 year vatted malt is even better, but significantly more money.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby hilliamash » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:57 pm

Agreed, Gov. I recently got ahold of a bottle of Black Grouse--it's easily my favorite among the FG blends. I still like the 18 yo vatted malt as well.
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby Gov » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:14 am

hilliamash wrote:Agreed, Gov. I recently got ahold of a bottle of Black Grouse--it's easily my favorite among the FG blends. I still like the 18 yo vatted malt as well.

I wish we could get Black Grouse here in the states :twisted:
How would you compare it to White Horse or Teachers?
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:45 pm

Well, I picked up the standard bottling of FG and had a dram last night. Not bad, but not a lot of flavour for me there. Its like I take a sip, swallow and its gone . . . No real length . . . but hey I paid $26. For $26 its decent but I am finding that in general anything less than 12yrs old is pretty weak. Nevertheless, I am going to try Teachers Highland Cream to find out what all the fuss is about.

Currently, I am trying to find a nightly "go-to" scotch that wont break the bank. JWB has served that purpose in the past, but I am fairly confident there is a better blend out there at a reasonable price. If any of you have a suggestion, feel free. By the way, I really enjoy the forum!
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:16 pm

I see you are in Canada and I don't know what's available to you, but my suggestions would be:

Glen Garioch (any age, they are all very drinkable)
An Cnoc
Bladnoch
Glenlivet 15y French Oak or 18y
Balvenie
Dalwhinnie

Have fun,
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:48 pm

Thanks for the recommendations Malt Teaser.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby hilliamash » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:41 am

Teacher's is richer and more creamy. White Horse doesn't have the strong sherry component to it. It's quite good.
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Related whiskies : Famous Grouse , The Famous Grouse

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder