Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig 10 vs. Ardbeg 10

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Re: Laphroaig 10 vs. Ardbeg 10

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:32 pm

...not to mention that standard Lap at 40%(43% if you're lucky!) is bound to taste weaker than Ardie at 46%.

Ever tried going from CS back to 40%? Very interesting! the other day I followed a small 'Abunadh" with a bottle finishing dreg of "Monkey Shoulder."

It was pleasnt, and offered a very different perspective on the latter...but I don't recommend it as a worthwhile sequence generally!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby OKDiver1 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:53 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Ever tried going from CS back to 40%? Very interesting! the other day I followed a small 'Abunadh" with a bottle finishing dreg of "Monkey Shoulder."

It was pleasnt, and offered a very different perspective on the latter...but I don't recommend it as a worthwhile sequence generally!

This is called a "reverse profile" in scuba diving, and is not recommended as it might result in serious bodily harm. Lot of similarities between the two -- unfortunately they cannot be combined. :(
OKDiver1
Silver Member

Postby LeoDLion » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:05 pm

The lap 10 is peatier than the Ardbeg 10. And the iodine taste (or smell) of the lap 10 is much greater than Ard 10 too.

My very first SM was a Lap and it took my tongue 4 days to get use to the strong medicinal taste.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby anationonfire » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:15 pm

Both are great drams I much prefer the Ardbeg 10yo over the Laph 10yo, That being said the Laphroaig QC will always has a home in my cabinet :P :P
anationonfire
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:35 am

It's complete madness to pick Ardbeg 10 over Laphroaig 10, Laphroaig is always better.

By choosing Ardbeg 10 you're basically declaring yourself a mental defect.

:D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Gov » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:53 am

Lawrence wrote:It's complete madness to pick Ardbeg 10 over Laphroaig 10, Laphroaig is always better.

Especially when JWR is widely available :D :D :D
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:44 am

I must get Laga 16 soon
Gov
Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:35 am

Lawrence wrote:It's complete madness to pick Ardbeg 10 over Laphroaig 10, Laphroaig is always better.

I've known this about myself for years!
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby IainB » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:04 pm

This has been a very interesting and enilightenng post for me. I love the the Laphroaig, but am not that mad on any Ardbeg I've tried. (Which admittedly is ony 3 or 4).

I've heard so many people rave about Ardbeg I thought I was the only one. I know I'll offend lots of people when I say I think it's fine but that's where it ends for me.

(By the way, and I know it's not the question that was asked, but I generally prefer Laga to both of them).
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Newbie » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:14 pm

I've come to the conclusion that Laphroaig 10 is slightly watery/thin compared to the Ardbeg. The Laphroaig 10 is fine on its own but it is lacking something if your having an Ardbeg straight after.

I think a Laphroaig Quarter Cask at 48%abv should be a better match for the Ardbeg 10. I'll have to buy a bottle of QC and put it to the test!
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:25 pm

Personally I really do not care for Laphroaig 10yo. It was one of the malts that got me into whisky originally, but I now find it thin and stangely headache inducing. Not to say Laphroaig do not make good whisky, but I'd go for and IB of Laphroaig these days.

Ardbeg 10yo is fantastic must have whisky.

Edit: Can someone get Lawrence a straight jacket :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:50 pm

I thought they just threw us all in the Whisky Mag Looney Bin.

I don't know, there are times I prefer each over the other. But I get mine only watered down to 43%. :D I wonder if this has something to do with the "thinness" detected by my UK brethren.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mithril » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:00 pm

Knolly wrote:And (luckily for us in North America) Laphroaig 30 year old is relatively cheap here for such as smooth and fantastic whisky.

Where are you finding Laphroaig 15 and 30 in the Vancouver area Knolly? I've been seeking the 15 for quite sometime between here and Calgary with no success :(
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:31 pm

mithril wrote:
Knolly wrote:And (luckily for us in North America) Laphroaig 30 year old is relatively cheap here for such as smooth and fantastic whisky.

Where are you finding Laphroaig 15 and 30 in the Vancouver area Knolly? I've been seeking the 15 for quite sometime between here and Calgary with no success :(

Knolly is talking about California.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Peter Alcamo » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:07 pm

Sad to say the 10yr old Laphroaig is currently not available in Ontario - thank you LCBO :evil:
Peter Alcamo

Postby Lawrence » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:24 pm

Peter Alcamo wrote:Sad to say the 10yr old Laphroaig is currently not available in Ontario - thank you LCBO :evil:

Actually, all of Canada. We were the 'lucky' country to be the test market for Laphroaig Quarter Cask ONLY. Now I really like LQC but some times I'd like a 10yo instead. Or a 15yo. Or a 30.

and Peter, welcome to the forum!
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby mithril » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:39 pm

Lawrence wrote:Knolly is talking about California.

Ahh.... his profile lists his location as Vancouver so I just assumed he was talking about here.
mithril
Bronze Member

Postby woodhill » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:17 am

Ganga wrote:I don't know, there are times I prefer each over the other. But I get mine only watered down to 43%. :D I wonder if this has something to do with the "thinness" detected by my UK brethren.

Ganga you aren't the first to say this.

I shall have to track down a 43% sample and try that.
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:49 am

I can see it now, care packages across the pond. I'm starting to think it is time for another bottle myself.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:31 am

Laphroaig 10, 43%, purchased 10.07, open about 6 months.

Tonight I'm finding chocolate covered coffee beans, along with the usual seaweed/iodine and peat. Nose has a fairly sweet peat to it with some oiliness. Finish sits there swinging back and forth between a peat and oak smoke.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:42 am

mithril wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Knolly is talking about California.

Ahh.... his profile lists his location as Vancouver so I just assumed he was talking about here.

In BC we shop internationally.

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Bulkington » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:59 pm

Well this mental defect prefers Ardbeg 10 to Laphroaig 10, but of course it's really just six of one half dozen of the other, since we're all just SUCKERS here debating with SUCKERS.

What's with Laphroaig and 40%? Aren't the impending releases at 40% too? Since strength is a matter of taste people get to indulge with stronger expressions and since adding water is no longer an option at 40% (and anyway, wouldn't it then technically no longer be scotch?), maybe people are expected to keep a dropper of Cask Strength on hand.... :?

Seems like a lame move on Laphroaig's part.
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:42 pm

I do not have an extensive experience with Single Malts, but what I do know is that I truly enjoy what you all describe as the "Big Peats".

That's pretty natural for newbies, they like that type of smack you in the face kind of stuff...hopefully you'll get over it.

But Lag 16, Talisker 10 and Laphroaig 10 make me very, very happy. So much emotion in such a small glass.

There is no 'emotion' in a small glass or a big glass or any glass for that matter, you are misusing the word - don't feel bad though - that is very typical in today's society, where we seem to have forgetten what words mean and just use them because they tend to sound fluffy and are trendy - 'emotion' is just one such word.
Anyway, look up the meaning of the word - people have emotions, not inanimate objects. I think I kind of know what you mean but you are mis-using your vocabulary to express it. Would you say there is emotion in a kitchen sink ? Of course not (well some people on here would) - why because, sinks and inanimate objects don't have emotions. People can get emotional about things, like a smelly sink or a glass of scotch - But there is no emotion in them - the emotion is in the person. I would say that this is an obvious notion and that everyone knows it, but it doesn't seem to be the case because they are constently misusing these words.
It becomes very hard to understand what anyone is saying when everyone starts making up their own meaning for words, that's why we have words - because the mean cetains things, thus allowing us to let others know what we are talking about. Of course this is a very unpopular notion in today's society where we are all try to make something out of nothing and sound more important than we really are.
Just a little bit of advice - take it or leave it. Personally when I talk I say it straight foward so people know what I'm talking about ...........witness the response I get around here, people know what I'm talking about and it gets them all bent out of shape, tough cookies - What are you going to do - some people are just very frail and insecure, but that's the price for speaking frankly and using words how they were ment to be used and not sugar coating everything, so as to accomondate a pamper society.
All of the above is right in line with my philosophy on tasting scotch - that is - there is no cookie batter, pinapples or stew prunes in scotch, if you taste it you've joined the club of the disillusioned...Personally I want my scotch to taste like scotch, that why I drink it and that's why I pay dearly for it, if I want to tastes cookie batter and prunes I'll go buy some and save myself some money. Scotch is for men - cookies, stew prunes, heather, honey - that's for old women...........I drink scotch because it taste like scotch and there is only one place you can get that taste - In a bottle of scotch. Why some people want it, look for it to taste like everything else is beyond me. Go eat cookies and sniff some heather if that's what you want - wimps :D
Hopefull you'll get over that peat thing. and the best to you :)
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:16 pm

Seriously Johnyy, what a load of crap.

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Gov » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:14 pm

Yeah Johnny, your posts are progressively getting more and more ridiculous! You made you point quite clear in the other Ardbeg thread, so stop already!
Gov
Gold Member

Postby OKDiver1 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:03 pm

Johnyy,
You quoted me -- twice -- so I guess it is my turn to address the class clown.

By the way, I am a reasonably healthy male, 5'10', about 200 lbs - not a wimp or an old woman, as it seems to matter to you. I am not here to judge or patronize anybody, or the particular relationship they have with their own kitchen sink.

I do tend, however, to check my syntax and my spelling before I post, kind of a courtesy to those who might come across my posts. As a guardian of the Real Meaning of Words, I am certain you will appreciate the notion, if obviously not the procedure.

I never said that glasses or, for that matter, any kitchen sink, had emotions. What I implied was that, filled with a reasonable amount of whisky, the said glass would provide me with a level of emotion(s). That level of emotion(s) will vary with what I perceive in that particular whisky at that particular time. Finding honey, smoke or peat or saltiness in a whisky is not a sign of insecurity, at least not to me.

Like you, I do appreciate scotch. However, perhaps unlike you, I try to identify why I like one more than the other. The monolithic good/no good or like/no like approach does not satisfy me, as easy or misgiven as it might be. I like to be able to define the reasons why, or not, I appreciate a certain thing. That is one of the factors that differentiate us from your kitchen sink analogy. Call me disillusioned if you wish.

As far as the peat thing, I hope I will never get over it. I am a newbie, and not afraid to admit it. However, I am willing, and reasonably able, to learn and build my appreciation for Scotch whisky. That might be one of the main differences that separate me from the kitchen sink. Or you.
OKDiver1
Silver Member

Postby lohssanami » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:17 am

IainB wrote:This has been a very interesting and enilightenng post for me. I love the the Laphroaig, but am not that mad on any Ardbeg I've tried. (Which admittedly is ony 3 or 4).

I've heard so many people rave about Ardbeg I thought I was the only one. I know I'll offend lots of people when I say I think it's fine but that's where it ends for me.

(By the way, and I know it's not the question that was asked, but I generally prefer Laga to both of them).

I don't think it's a big deal if some people don't like Ardbeg that much. It's all personal preference. I also really like all of the Laphroaig's, 10, 10CS, QC and 15, I've tried. I really do like Lagavulin, but I haven't had much of a chance to try anything other than the 16. That will change tonight as I will be trying the 21...we'll see!
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:22 am

Johnny , you get SOOOO bent outa shape just because someone finds emotion in a glass!

Well here's the deal.

When I had my first glass of Laphroaig I found in the glass more than a few emotions - I found the entire cast of 'Braveheart', every battle in the film, the love affairs...I could smell the turf on which they were fought. I could smell the smoke of burning houses...the aroma of the skin of the women.

Still prefer Ardbeg...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby OKDiver1 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:37 am

Nothing like the smell of a burning kilt in the morning.

Now, that's marketing hype. At least Johnnie Red wears pants.
OKDiver1
Silver Member

Postby Gov » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:57 am

OKDiver1 wrote:Nothing like the smell of a burning kilt in the morning.

Now, that's marketing hype. At least Johnnie Red wears pants.

At last nights WhiskyFest all the Johnnie's were present except Johnnie Red. I think I know where he was :lol:
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:59 pm

I think what our pal John needs is a good group hug :thumbsup: No need to keep trying to impress us pal with your lectures- just give us your opinions and stop judging ours'.
:wink:
Cheers!
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby OKDiver1 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:32 am

Finally had an informal head to head between the Lappy 10 and the Ardbeg 10, back and forth -- with a lot of water and time in-between.
In a nustshell, I like both, but for different reasons.
The Lap for its strong, tarry, medicinal and seaweed qualities. But I found that the Ardbeg had perhaps some of that, but more fruit, and maybe a tad more sweetness. There was peat to be sure, and lots of it, but the smoke was a little different from the Lap's. More like a smoked meat smoke, as in a Black Forest ham, both in the nose and the palate. Stuff you find in Germany -- hard to describe. Or an old-style smokehouse, as opposed to just vegetal smoke.

Does it make sense?
OKDiver1
Silver Member

Postby Ryguy » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:40 am

OKDiver1, I understand what you're saying here. They are both all together different, that's for sure. Yet they do share some similar qualities. The Ardbeg seems more fruity to me, with a smoke finish. And Laphroaig generally more phenolic/medicinal, with sweet peat.

I love both!! :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Gov » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:09 am

Having a final dram this evening of some Lappy 10. Although the bottle is almost drained, it doesn't effect the great tastes I am having with this.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby hilliamash » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:42 am

Yeah, I'm joining in late in the game (go figure), but I'd go for the Ardbeg 10 as well. It's consistent and doesn't disappoint.
hilliamash
Bronze Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder