Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan 12

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Re: Macallan 12

Postby borgom » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:08 pm

I think the bottle you have is probably a little old, maybe 5 years or more.
Unless it's still sold at 43% in the US?
borgom
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:19 pm

DakotaDan23 wrote:Is there a recommended 'straight' Sherry that's decent so I can familiarize myself with that particular flavor, and start working to separate out the others? I ask because apparently the Mac 12 is a 'Sherry bomb', and I'd like to know the difference in Sherry vs. the actual whiskey.

Dan...

There's many an excellent Sherry out there. However, given that most whisky producers who utilize Sherry wood opt for either Oloroso or Pedro Ximenez casks, I'd suggest you begin by focusing on these two.

Gonzalez Byass makes some lovely Sherry of both sorts. I'd strongly recommend you bite the bullet, pay the not insubstantial price, and purchase GB's exclusive bottlings that have been matured for over three decades. The 'Noe' Pedro Ximenez edition will definitely take you aback, as it's as texturally rich as syrup and combines lovely coffee notes with a considerable (get ready to make an appointment with your dentist!) sweetness. A small pour will be enough to satiate your taste buds. But don't worry about not being able to plow your way through the bottle, because this Sherry is also great over vanilla ice cream. And you can also add it (just a minute drop, mind you) to any ex-Bourbon barrel matured whiskies you have on hand to instantly transform them into 'Sherry bombs'.

Lycus, the Macallan 12YO does indeed come in both 40%ABV and 43%ABV versions depending on markets and availability.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lycus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:51 am

The Third Dram wrote:Lycus, the Macallan 12YO does indeed come in both 40%ABV and 43%ABV versions depending on markets and availability.

Is there a marked difference in quality? I mean, I do enjoy the 43% ABV, I only wonder if it superior or inferior to the 40% ABV version. I suppose next time I'm at the liquor mega store I'll try the 40, $40 (at my local store, after tax) for 750ml of scotch is a bit much for me to merely experiment with right now when I know I can get a liter of some whiskeys that I know are just as good for the same price or cheaper.
Lycus

Postby Gov » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:57 am

I have only seen it 43% in my neck of the woods :D
Gov
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:59 pm

I only tried the 43% in the previous bottle style and it was more characterful than the current bottling at 40%.
The current bottling maybe preferred by some as it seems more balanced and refined.
The prior bottling was more my style, robust a-typical full flavoured Macallan with sherry, orange and slight rubber/smoke down below.
The 40% is one to try at some stage but I don't think you're missing much if you don't.
Quite frankly I’m sick of some old favourites dropping the strength and character I came to love for more mass market propositions.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:47 pm

You could always go for the Macallan Cask Strength and settle the matter that way. :wink:

Then perhaps line up an Aberlour a'bunadh beside that one and just dive right into the deep end of the pool !
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby borgom » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:45 am

Yes, I have a Maca CS open right now :thumbsup:
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Les Paul » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:56 pm

A fanastic single malt. A little on the expensive side....but worth it. The Force is strong with this scotch. 8)
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:07 pm

Macallan 12 is one of my staples. I have been drinking it for years and I just picked up a bottle for $40USD last week which is the cheapest in my area. I think it is a great well rounded whisky.

The only sad thing is I have never tried any other Macallans. I really want to try the 18, 15, and 30. What are the 10 and the CS like compared to the 12?
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:26 pm

scotchdrinker wrote:What are the 10 and the CS like compared to the 12?

I don't know about the current 10YO, but in days gone by, this was the one that first brought me to the delights of Macallan. If my memory serves me well, it was slightly rounder, less spirity and softer than the 12YO, and had a decidedly sweet (almost 'sticky') Sherry component... Not all that unlike the differences between the 10YO and 12YO Glenfarclas bottlings.

The CS is hotter around the edges, and here, the impact of the Sherry-seasoned oak takes on a more spicy and resin-like rather than a wine-like quality when compared to the standard 10YO and 12YO editions. Whereas I'm often perfectly content to consume most Aberlour a'bunadh releases at full strength, I find that the Macallan CS really performs much better with a drop of water to calm things down and open up the whisky.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby borgom » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:37 am

Hmmm the 10yo sounds great. I'll have to try that one, if I can find a bottle....
borgom
Gold Member

Postby just-one-more » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:51 pm

I got a chance to have both the Macallan 12 and 15 at my brother's last weekend (he makes more than me :) ). I was surprised to prefer the 12. It is worthy, quite worthy!
just-one-more

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:04 am

scotchdrinker wrote:Macallan 12 is one of my staples. I have been drinking it for years and I just picked up a bottle for $40USD last week which is the cheapest in my area. I think it is a great well rounded whisky.

The only sad thing is I have never tried any other Macallans. I really want to try the 18, 15, and 30. What are the 10 and the CS like compared to the 12?

The 18 is one of the finest scotches I have ever had. Currently saving my money to buy a bottle. the 15 yr old fine oak has been a disappointment for me on the other hand.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:23 am

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:
scotchdrinker wrote:Macallan 12 is one of my staples. I have been drinking it for years and I just picked up a bottle for $40USD last week which is the cheapest in my area. I think it is a great well rounded whisky.

The 18 is one of the finest scotches I have ever had. Currently saving my money to buy a bottle. the 15 yr old fine oak has been a disappointment for me on the other hand.

I agree...and I agree!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby borgom » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:52 am

Yeah, I had a bottle of the FO15 a year or two back and while it was a lovely scotch I was left wondering what all the fuss was about.
borgom
Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder