Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The smell of Peat

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Re: The smell of Peat

Postby oldrip57 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:13 am

Doug1937 wrote:...But if other drinkers find hints of various flavors in their scotches while at the same time you do not...did you ever stop to consider that your tongue and nose might be...handicapped?

:wink:

Seems more and more likely -- since "Johnyy One-Note" (what kind of spelling is that, anyway?) is a more appropriate moniker -- that he's just here for the arguments, which makes him a troll, I guess.
As for me, I'm moving on...
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby IainB » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:05 pm

Hi All, Just back from hols so haven't had a chance to post any further on this.

First things first, JG, I hope I was not being referred to as an arrogant fool for trying the comparissons I was making on this debate. I presume not, as I was merely trying to take a somewhat balanced view on these discussions.

A couple of things strike me about the way this ongoing discussion on whisky descriptions is developing.

I seems to have started when JG experessed his, by now very clear, opinion that people are going over the top on didtheir desciptions. This was met with some, to be honest, very dismissive comments towards JG from a lot of the people here. This seems to have resulted in JG becoming quite militant in making his point, and everyone else becoming quite militant in responding. It is now spilling over onto a great number of topics to do with tastings.

The funny thing is is that, if you think about it, this seems to have become a debate on the best way to have fun. What's the point in that?

JG, I agree, to a point, with some of what you say. Descriptions can be overblown etc. But, as I said before, people are enjoying themselves, so what's thet problem. Comparing it to LSD etc. is pointless, it's not the same thing. Particularly as you have sadi yourself that the point of drining is to get loaded! And some of the reaction you have got has been quite hostile. And you've responded by portraying youself as the man of the people, the revolutionary, standing up agaisnt oppression.

Do you ever wonder why people are hostile - here's what I think, for what its worth.

(1) It's perfectly acceptable to put forward a dissenting view and to ask people not to try and impose their views on you. But don't you see that you're doing the same thing. It's a bit like 20th century communism. WE ARE THE PEOPLE RISING AGAINST OUR OPPRESSORS. NOW THE PEOPLE MUST DO IT OUR WAY. Think Animal Farm.

(2) You've made it clear your view on such matters as apricots etc. Fair enough. I think everyone knows your opinion. The problem goes back to what I said before. THEY ARE ENJOYING IT! If someone want's to start a topic discussing apricots, dead cats , or whatever they taste in their whisky, they are having fun discussing it with like minded people then let them off. It shouldn't bother enough to have to point out your objection every time. It's like having a party but someone keeps bursting in the door telling you you're playing the wrong music. It's what they like.

(3) Please do not take this as an attempt to silence you, but remember the forum is a place for like minded people to waffle away about whisky to their hearts content. Most people I know think it's ridiculous to be discussing whisky on the interent at any level. I don't care. I like it.

(4) I found I was going off topic a lot at one stage to rant on about the things that annoyed me about the Irish whiskey industry. So I started a topic specifically for that purpose. Whay not do the same. Start a "Things JG thinks are ridiculous" topic. I promise to participate, as I'm sure Reggaeblues etc. will. I enjoy a good argument, as do many people. I will be fun. And then the apricot smellers can work away to thier hearts content without you or I discussing whether we think they really can in their midst.

(5) Not all descriptions of smells are that ridiculous. It's just the use of flowery language to make life more interesting. I'm thinking of old Pure Pot Still Irish whiskey's here. There often described as having a musty aroma. In my opinion they do. That doesn't mean I think they're mouldy or damp. It's just an arome. It has been described as "damp raincoats". Ridiculous I agree. There's definitely no raincoats in whiskey. But, where would literature be if every description was merely functional. Is that not part of what makes a great write. It's not just the story, it's how they describe it. Where would Irish literature be without flowery language. What about poetry? Why write a poem. Why not just say what's on your mind. BECAUSE PEOPLE ENJOY IT. And no I'm not into poetry at all, it's just an example.

(6) You should not be criticised for putting JWR on a par with malts. If that's what you like then why not. As I've said before, Powers NAS is one of my favourites. But that's the point. I've said it before. I don't need to put it as an addendum to every other post.

Anyway, in summary, my real point is that a debate about the best way to have fun where each side is rying to force their opinion on the other is rather strange.

Anyway, I look forward to continuing this on the appropiate forum.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:15 pm

JohnyyGuitar wrote:All this talk has gotten me thirsty - so I'm off like a used condom to the liquor store - not sure what will strike my fancy when I get there. I might buy something cheap or blow my wad.....

But I'm in the mood for something cherry, choclate, licorice, smoky, rubbery, maybe a hint of dried cactus, or pigeon wings baked in chinesse ant sause, but I want some fredricks of hollywood on the nose. but with a finish of 10-40 Quacker State motorcar oil, mind you the 5-30 is dreadfull - can some one suggest something along those lines ?
IainB wrote:Anyway, I look forward to continuing this on the appropiate forum.

And what a nice thing it would be if this 'appropriate forum' had both a spell- and grammar-checker.

:roll:
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby les taylor » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Bill there are people here who deliberately use bad spelling and grammar.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby IainB » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:43 pm

UUNetBill wrote:
JohnyyGuitar wrote:All this talk has gotten me thirsty - so I'm off like a used condom to the liquor store - not sure what will strike my fancy when I get there. I might buy something cheap or blow my wad.....

But I'm in the mood for something cherry, choclate, licorice, smoky, rubbery, maybe a hint of dried cactus, or pigeon wings baked in chinesse ant sause, but I want some fredricks of hollywood on the nose. but with a finish of 10-40 Quacker State motorcar oil, mind you the 5-30 is dreadfull - can some one suggest something along those lines ?
IainB wrote:Anyway, I look forward to continuing this on the appropiate forum.

And what a nice thing it would be if this 'appropriate forum' had both a spell- and grammar-checker.

:roll:

Apologies for that but I was in a bit of a hurry. Anyway, I'd be more interested whether you think I am talking a load of rubbish than whether I am a bad typist.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:44 pm

les taylor wrote:Bill there are people here who deliberately use bad spelling and grammar.

Not me! :oops: :oops:

I probably shouldn't type long posts in a hurry. Nor should I do it while working.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:53 pm

IainB wrote:
les taylor wrote:Bill there are people here who deliberately use bad spelling and grammar.

Not me! :oops: :oops:

I probably shouldn't type long posts in a hurry. Nor should I do it while working.

Iain I wasn't thinking of you at all. We all make the odd typo error. It's where you see the deliberate misspelling designed to antagonise that I was thinking of. It takes time and is premeditated to accomplish that. A spell and grammar checker would not prevent it.
les taylor

Postby IainB » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:55 pm

That does seem rather pointless alright.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:02 pm

Iain,

Apologies - I was most certainly not referring to you, on the contrary, your posts always seem to be well thought out, to the point, and a pleasure to read (unlike some on here, who I guess are doing this on purpose - my mistake).

I usually don't react to the odd typo or grammatic slip-up - God knows I'm as guilty as the next man - but when I need to re-read something several times to divine the meaning, well, in the words of George S. Patton, "By God, that's enough!!"

I'll shut up now and go back to what I was doing.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled antagonism.
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby les taylor » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:12 pm

UUNetBill wrote:I usually don't react to the odd typo or grammatic slip-up - God knows I'm as guilty as the next man - but when I need to re-read something several times to divine the meaning, well, in the words of George S. Patton, "By God, that's enough!!"

Bill you should have know worries about what you said. And you are quite right to point it out. Unfortunately those who post to antagonise won't and don't care about what they do. :)
les taylor

Postby Glen Lovett » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:05 pm

The Smell of Pete??
I suppose it depends where he lives,
If he lives by the steel works in Port Talbot then I imagine he smells pretty bad, :yuk: or if he has fallen over in something a dog has left behind, however if pete has just had a bath and is nice and clean he probbably smells ok............ :P :lol:
Glen Lovett

Postby les taylor » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:39 pm

Collector57 wrote:
les taylor wrote:
UUNetBill wrote:I usually don't react to the odd typo or grammatic slip-up - God knows I'm as guilty as the next man - but when I need to re-read something several times to divine the meaning, well, in the words of George S. Patton, "By God, that's enough!!"

Bill you should have know worries about what you said. And you are quite right to point it out. Unfortunately those who post to antagonise won't and don't care about what they do. :)
Was that deliberate Les? :wink:

No Nick, I think it got lost halfway across the pond. :o
les taylor

Postby IainB » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:05 am

les taylor wrote:

I agree. No need to shut up or apologise. I wasn't actually offended, just feeling sorry for myself on my first day back to work after a great holiday.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby I_SPEY » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:35 pm

Hi there, you all!

Please, don't get to serious in some ways :) :lol: 8) :thumbsup:

Go to :sleep: or take a :coffee: with a :smoke:
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:57 pm

It's ok. I think we're all friends again.

By the way, on this topic, I think what we're talking about is the smell of peat smoke as opposed to peat itself, which doesn't really smell much of anything.

And while the Connemara is peated I think the Lagavulin gives a much better idea of what peat smoke actually smells like, more so even than Ardbeg, in my opinion.

When I light a fire it's always mainly been peat I burn. That said the commercial briquettes don't seem to have as strong a smell as the hand cut rough stuff.

What's funny though, is that though Peat fires are common in Ireland, and I'm familiar with the smell as long as I can remember, I do notice since last October, when I was on Islay, that whenever I smell turf burning I automatically think of the distilleries, and particularly Lagavulin. I was only there 3 days. I've lived in Ireland 36 years. Go figure!
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:19 pm

Ah! The evocativeness of whisky aromas, eh? They take me back to all sorts of places

Amazing how the smells do it almost more than the tastes...

I remember this 1946 Macallan I tried on a Mac tasting...it was four years ago, but I can still remember the smell! the most amazing nose ever. Reminded me of when I was a child playing in my granny's oak cabinets...only, stuffed full of lemons.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:15 pm

Tim, can you please check the pm I send you? :iwbrnt:
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby tollickd » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:03 pm

My mother used to use peat on her garden and it smells like old earth, if you have ever smelt moss on a damn cold morning then you know how peat smells.
tollickd

Postby lohssanami » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:05 pm

You can't beat peat!!!
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby buckeyede06 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:39 pm

It smells like a burnt log or a campfire. Smell and taste is subjective but a peaty scotch is hard to miss. It might help if you try several scotchs and compare. Try a sweet one like Macallan and then try a peaty one like Ardbeg, Laphroig, or Laguvlin. You will def see a peaty difference!
buckeyede06

Postby oldrip57 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:01 am

Damn! I seem to have left just before JG gave up the ghost. What a disappointment! I can't even claim victory over insensate palate-ism.
I guess I'll just have to relish that his last, to date, post was:
JohnyyGuitar wrote:
"Ardbeg" with a chunk of parmesan cheese. "Balvenie" with Terry's Choccie Orange.

barrrrrrrrrrrf
Are we not men ?
Do you wear pink panties while you drink scotch too ?

For the record, my 'panties', as it were -- today, anyway -- are white. The cheese I ate a little while ago was American. And, I tasted some of Doug Phillips' original Willett 22yo rye earlier this week, and it tasted just like Christmas -- orange-peel candy and all (alas, no apricot)!
http://www.maltadvocate.com/docs/whisky ... fault.aspx
(the top one, rated 96)
I AM man (whiskey-wise, anyway).
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby Pure Pot Head » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:00 pm

Or, you could try a non-peated whiskey (lots of Irish and American variants to choose from and some very barely peated Scottish) and then you'd actually be able to tell what whiskey itself actually really tastes like in the first place. You'll discover a whole universe of wood nuances and complex flavours that should delight.

Then If you find you don't like actual whiskey itself after all, then you can go back to the the smokey tasting stuff! :mrgreen: !

Pure Pot
Pure Pot Head
Bronze Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder