Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Lagavulin 16 vs Talisker 18

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Lagavulin 16 vs Talisker 18

Postby DrChimRichalds » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:47 pm

First time poster here. Guy at my local liquor store questioned me why I was buying Talisker 10 when for a few bucks more the 18 is better and just like Lagavulin. (I assume he meant the Laga 16) In fact, he went on to say that "side by side, you can't really tell them apart." Are they really similar? Is the Talisker 18 packing less of the 10's pepperiness to accomplish this? Also, if you prefer one or the other please post back why. Thanks.
DrChimRichalds

Re: Lagavulin 16 vs Talisker 18

Postby lohssanami » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:53 pm

Welcome to the forums Doctor!!!

I've not tried the Talisker 18 yet, but I have a bottle I've been meaning to open. I'll try them both this weekend and give my opinion.

I'm sure you'll have plenty of others jump in and let you know.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:40 am

Doc, what he meant was HE can't tell them apart!

They do share an Island maritime smokiness, yes, and are therefore rather similar if compared to a sherried speysider like Aberlour, or a gentler, sweeter whisky like glenmorangie.

But side by side they are quite different.

the T18 is less pepperry, more delicate than the 10, and has more layers...more subtle, more "meditative" if you get my meaning. sometimes tho', my mood calls for the more direct approach of the 10. Plus it's cheaper!!

the Lag 16 I would say is closer to the T10 than the 18, but still quite different. More sherry and dark flavours(molasses? Lapsang souchong?)than either Talisker.

But you won't go wrong with either.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby recordmeister » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:34 am

Man, a long standing debate between me and my pals. They would go for the Tally 18 over the Lag 16, but I LOVE the Lag 16.

we did a side by side tasting of Tally 10, 12, 18 and 57 Degrees (notes up on http://www.caskstrength.net) and got into a "debate" about which was best, the T18 or the L16. We ended up pouring a dram of the L16 so I could "prove" it was better. I thought it was. They didn't! What i remember was that the L16 had a much more farmyard feel to it. Deeper and richer, less salty, more earthy. The T18 I found a touch too salty but with some lovely sweet notes.

I'd go for the L16 every time. But my mates go for T18. Take your pick!

http://www.caskstrength.net
recordmeister
Bronze Member

Postby shoganai » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:43 am

DrChimRichalds wrote:he went on to say that "side by side, you can't really tell them apart."

Where do you live? I'll give him 1000-1 that I can tell them apart.

I don't know which is better. I love them both. To me Lagavulin 16 is dried fruits, where Talisker 18 is sugar cookies, but they're both A+ whiskies.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Viridian » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:22 am

DrChimRichalds wrote:First time poster here. Guy at my local liquor store questioned me why I was buying Talisker 10 when for a few bucks more the 18 is better and just like Lagavulin. (I assume he meant the Laga 16) In fact, he went on to say that "side by side, you can't really tell them apart." Are they really similar? Is the Talisker 18 packing less of the 10's pepperiness to accomplish this? Also, if you prefer one or the other please post back why. Thanks.

The 18 does pack less of a punch and is a lot smoother, naturally. Both ages are absolutely fantastic... it just depends what you're in the mood for. As for not being able to tell them apart, I feel embarrassed for whoever said that :cry: . These are two of my very very favorites, but I would be more inclined to buy the Lagavulin 16 if forced to only pick one. I suggest you compare tasting notes.
Viridian

Postby AdamH » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:50 am

DrChimRichalds wrote:Guy at my local liquor store... went on to say that "side by side, you can't really tell them apart."

Never, ever trust that guy's whisky advice again. I'm so sick and tired of these in-store "experts" misleading people when they'd do more good by keeping their mouth shut, shrugging, and collecting their money. If I have one more person "correct" me and tell me how (not) to pronounce "Glenmorangie," I'm going to beat them over the head with a giant plastic 1.75L bottle of Cluny until it breaks.

Maybe somebody could start a thread with the worst advice/experience you've had from an "expert" whiskey purveyor.
AdamH

Postby bamber » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:05 am

Is that you Ron ?

They taste very different and you could tell them apart by nose alone.

A firend of mine bought up a load of Sainsbury's bourbon after some maculated youth stacking the shelves told him it was just Buffalo Trace in a different bottle. Identical he said.

He phoned me furious after coming face to face with what was probably 4yo Heaven Hill (that they would not put in their own brands). He still drunk a bottle in one sitting though: falling asleep by the front door only to be woken up by his wife hoovering and 2 year old daughter prodding is ample midriff (ala Homer Simpson).

What was this about ? Oh yes - no they are very different and the Lagavulin is better. That is scientific fact *.

* not a fact.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby badgerbrown » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:50 pm

I would say that they are totally different. Lagavulin is more of a traditionally peaty whisky, almost vegetal I think, but soft and brilliantly made.

Talisker 18 is a different beast altogether, with deeper layers of complexity for me, warming and with a very fresh ozone smell. There is loads and loads going on, and I'd go for this one first.
badgerbrown

Postby UUNetBill » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:37 pm

I found this page to be helpful - maybe some of our Scotsmen here can let us know if these are correct or not. . .I hope so, as I've used this as a training aid!!

http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/jhb/whisky/pronounc.html
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby AdamH » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:52 am

Yello to Mello wrote:
How do you pronounce it? I think I just say "glen-mor-anj-ee" I guess I think of oranges.

Yeah, it rhymes with "orangey." As in, "Gee, this orange juice is really orangey."

Of course, your average American or Brit isn't gonna be familiar with Gaelic names and pronounciation -- but if you're going to correct someone on their pronunciation, I think the corrector should be giving the proper advice to the correctee.
AdamH

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:43 am

UUNetBill wrote:I found this page to be helpful - maybe some of our Scotsmen here can let us know if these are correct or not. . .I hope so, as I've used this as a training aid!!

Kininview? They didn't even spell it right :wink:
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:44 am

Pronunciation tip: accent on the first syllable; if a compound, primary accent on the first syllable of the second part of the coumpound. Thus, Laga VU lin (Laga +vulin), for example. With any Glen, therefore, accent on the first syllable after Glen.

I hear Glenmorangie mispronounced more in Scotland than in the US, and at a whisky festival, heard it repeatedly mispronounced by their own agent.
Deactivated Member

Postby Knolly » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:45 am

Both are brilliant whiskies and among the best available in their price range.

If you're a lover of Islay whiskies, then Lagavulin 16 is obviously a favourite. However, whisky drinkers who aren't into the "burning pirate ship on fire" whiskies might go for the Talisker 18 which is in IMHO "the great all rounder" (much more so than Highland Park). Either way, both are absolutely great, reasonably affordable and fairly available.

I'm never, EVER without Lagavulin, but I just finished off a Talisker 18 a few weeks ago and am already missing it!

Oh, BTW, I'm told that it's pronounced "Glen-Morn-Gee" - anyone want to confirm this?

Cheers!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:18 am

AdamH wrote:
DrChimRichalds wrote:Guy at my local liquor store... went on to say that "side by side, you can't really tell them apart."

Never, ever trust that guy's whisky advice again. I'm so sick and tired of these in-store "experts" misleading people when they'd do more good by keeping their mouth shut, shrugging, and collecting their money. If I have one more person "correct" me and tell me how (not) to pronounce "Glenmorangie," I'm going to beat them over the head with a giant plastic 1.75L bottle of Cluny until it breaks.

Maybe somebody could start a thread with the worst advice/experience you've had from an "expert" whiskey purveyor.

oddly enough the same goes for Glenfiddich... I can't decide whether I should correct them or just shrug my shoulders. I generally turn to a supportive friend who just says "I know I know"
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby DrChimRichalds » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:34 pm

:D
Last edited by DrChimRichalds on Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrChimRichalds

Postby DrChimRichalds » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:48 pm

:D Thanks for all your posts. I will not pay any attention to most if not all "clerks" giving advice and conduct my own research using this website and forums. I'm glad I didn't listen to him as the Talisker 10 was fantastic and a bit cheaper too ($45) than the 18. As for Lag 16, I will have to pony up for it ($62 here) one of these days. Seems most posters here have a bottle in their collection. I should too.

Is Lagavulin the best Single Malt on the planet?
DrChimRichalds

Postby Knolly » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:51 pm

DrChimRichalds wrote::D Thanks for all your posts. I will not pay any attention to most if not all "clerks" giving advice and conduct my own research using this website and forums. I'm glad I didn't listen to him as the Talisker 10 was fantastic and a bit cheaper too ($45) than the 18. As for Lag 16, I will have to pony up for it ($62 here) one of these days. Seems most posters here have a bottle in their collection. I should too.

if you really like the Talisker 10, then you'll almost certainly love the 18YO even more. Of course, that's not guaranteed, but I would say that is what most people think. I would think that a significant percentage of whisky drinkers would have both the Talisker 10 and 18 in their collections and if I'm like most, I drink the 18 regularly and the 10 only once in a while.

Lagavulin 16 is arguably the best regularly available whisky - that is if you like smoky / peaty whiskies. It's also kind of like a transition drug - it's often the first bottle that a lot of avid whisky drinkers had that rally made them "get" single malt whisky. Is it the best Single Malt Whisky on the planet? Most would say no and there are just too many different styles / moods / flavour profiles / premium special releases / differences of personal opinion to call ANY whisky the best on the planet.

However, it IS a great whisky and because it's regularly available and not TOO expensive (unless you live in BC like I do, where they just raised the price to a completely asinine $125 / bottle - $%#^*&%@!$#!!!!!) it has wide exposure to the market and many people have fallen in love with it.

IMO, Lagavulin 16 and Talisker 18 are both bottles worth trying.

Cheers!
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby DrChimRichalds » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:41 pm

Thanks for the info Knolly. Talisker 18 is on my list to purchase at some point and I would agree I ought to enjoy it equally or better as the 10. I'd like to tour the Islay region a bit sampling some Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig QC and maybe Caol Ila 12. Any notes/suggestions on those to pass along? 8)
DrChimRichalds

Postby orangedogofglory » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:43 pm

DrChimRichalds wrote::D Thanks for all your posts. I will not pay any attention to most if not all "clerks" giving advice and conduct my own research using this website and forums. I'm glad I didn't listen to him as the Talisker 10 was fantastic and a bit cheaper too ($45) than the 18. As for Lag 16, I will have to pony up for it ($62 here) one of these days. Seems most posters here have a bottle in their collection. I should too.

A friend of mine is a big Talisker fan and his latest notes indicate the 18 is now the preferred bottle. Here it runs literally about $3 more but our Tal 10 isn't $45... lucky Californians.

Also, the cheapest I've found Laga 16 here is about $79, so at $62 its a bargain. Also, it seems to be increasing further in price so it might be worth it to pick up a bottle now. I can still get it at $79 but a lot of stores have already moved to the over $100 range. :yuk:
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby DrChimRichalds » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:10 pm

Yeah picking up bottle of Lag 16 now as you suggest is a really good idea. What is causing the price hike in whiskies these days? Another post I read suggested that Ardbeg may become tougher to find cheaply (A10,$55 here), must be the evil corporations tightening supply and increasing their margins. :evil:
DrChimRichalds

Postby Laphroaig » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:07 am

I'm sure the continuous increase in whisky price has nothing to do with the US dollar's demise.
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:29 pm

Yes Laga 16, Talisker 10 & 18 are all top drams and yes that clerk is talking rubbish .....

Laga & Talisker are like chalk and cheese to me and will be to you too once you get into your malts.

Cracking drams all in my drinks cabinet and all :thumbsup:

In relation to costs Raw materials & oil prices are going through the roof so it is no surprise that whisky is rising in price also. And remember not only is it getting more expensive to produce but also more expensive to ship. Freight cost/prices have all gone up too.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby AnttiH » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:03 pm

I just cracked open a bottle of Talisker 18 last friday and it sure is a great whisky! I need to get back to it to tho to get to know it better.
Lagavulin 16 is the whisky that got me into scotch in the first place. Perhaps I should compare those two head-to-head next weekend.
Anyway, they're both great - and different - you won't go wrong with either one of them :)
AnttiH

Postby Les Paul » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:48 am

Lagavulin 16 for me, without question.

8)
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby TheTross » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:34 am

Laga 16 here as well. Talisker 18 is very good, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Laga for me.

And yes, the L16 and T18 are definitely worlds apart in terms of taste!
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby sampaiocaleia » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:37 pm

Laga 16 YO for sure!!
sampaiocaleia
Silver Member

Postby I_SPEY » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:52 pm

For 1000% Lagavulin 16 yo :P
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:05 pm

This is very hard to answer. If you ask ten people here, you will probably get ten different answers. If you ask me 12 times, one question a month, I will give you 12 different answers! :shock: Today the best for me is Aberlour A'bunadth but some people can not stand it.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby SoMK » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:02 pm

That's a really hard question to answer for sure.. I too think they're way different and choosing one over the other will purely be based on personnal taste.. Laga is sweet and peaty and beautiful, Talisker is way dryer and peppery.. no real comparison really.
Grab both ? ;) and spank the clerk on your way out.
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby lincoln imp » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:43 pm

UUNetBill wrote:I found this page to be helpful - maybe some of our Scotsmen here can let us know if these are correct or not. . .I hope so, as I've used this as a training aid!!

Thanks Bill, unfortunately i have mis pronounced Clynelish for years :oops:
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:52 pm

It sounds like they got Sean Connery to do Slainte! I love watching Red October - a Scottish accent for a Russian - brilliant!! :thumbsup:

As for which is better and whether or not Laga is the best scotch - I think it depends on the mood. I have had days where Talisker 10 or 18 really hit what I was looking for, and days when the Laga was almost undrinkable. Just depends upon the setting and the type of day/evening. I think SoMK has the right idea, grab both. They are both excellent drams that you would want to have on hand.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:06 am

lincoln imp wrote:

Thanks Bill, unfortunately i have mis pronounced Clynelish for years :oops:

Yep - you, me, and just about every clerk in every whisky shop I've been to lately. :oops:

Of course, not too many here carry Clynelish. . .but when they mispronounce 'Islay' or 'Glenfiddich' I know it's time to leave.
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby Steve Rush » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:00 pm

In my mind they are two very different but two very wonderful whiskies. They each have their own complexities and qualities but because I favour malts from Islay I would have to choose the Lag 16 (the old faithfull).

:wink:
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:36 pm

". . .but when they mispronounce 'Islay' or 'Glenfiddich' I know it's time to leave."

I once had an australian guy in Oddbins attempt to sell me an "Izzly"(like "grizzly") malt...

Oh. re the topic! I agree with the above. Love 'em both.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder