Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Longrow CV

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Longrow

Longrow CV

Postby Bulkington » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:03 pm

It's finally arrived and last night I finally tried some. My first-impressions, maybe not very helpful: Chocolate-mint barnyard turning kelpy on the palate. Looking forward to another glass tonight.

Anyone?
Bulkington
Silver Member

Re: Longrow CV

Postby les taylor » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:08 pm

Yes Please. Make it a double. :)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Bulkington » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:51 pm

Let me share my answer to a Haiku challenge:

Chocolate-mint barnyard
Beetling on the palate o'er
Kelpy beds in spring

:?
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:19 pm

That sounds very well, I like barnyard whiskies!
(Port Charlotte: barnyard with searope and kelp is a good example imo)

I have a bottle on the shelf... :roll:
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby peat-chaser » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:09 pm

Do you really like this stuff?
I tryed several times, but I can´t help, I hardly dislike it.
In my opinion its too alcoholic, not at all balanced, tastes like 'green barley' which I don´t like and the peat doesn´t match the rest of the taste. I guess it´s much too young and matured in second or third choice casks. That might be the reason for selling it for the half of the usual price for a longrow.
I´m sorry for that bad judgement, because I´ve a lot of sympathy for that still, but that´s what I nose, taste and think.

Quo vadis springbank?
peat-chaser
Bronze Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:30 am

Read the following on http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk
No Age Statement but it is 46% ABV and contains 6, 10 and 14 year old whisky from bourbon, sherry, port and rum casks.

It makes me even more curious... :P
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby bond » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:38 am

Do not know if we are referring to a variant of Longrow but I was unimpressed with the regular Longrow. I thought it was desperate for an identity and almost seemed like someone had peated it as an after thought.

The whisky did nt score too high on balance either and I found it a tad thin for my liking.

Cheers
bond
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:14 pm

Bulkington wrote:It's finally arrived and last night I finally tried some...

Any reason for starting this thread when there is another one of an identical name? viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8722
Deactivated Member

Postby Jimmy321 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:40 pm

Nick, i am sure it is ok to start a new thread. The search function maybe ok but it can be daunting. I have found myself reading (read:trawling) through the search results when it would have been much easier to ask on another thread or start a new one.
Jimmy321
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:45 pm

But every time a new thread on an identical topic is started, the existing views and conversation on the subject die. It is just as rude to start a duplicate thread as it is to post without reading previous posts. The search function isn't really that daunting unless you want to find it so.

And if you say something relevant on a thread, then I don't see why anyone would complain about bumping. The complaints I made about bumping were one ignorant poster who started two identical threads within half an hour of each other - pleading ignorance - and then bumped them both (adding nothing to either discussion) simultaneously a couple of weeks later.
Deactivated Member

Postby Jimmy321 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:49 pm

:oops:
Jimmy321
Silver Member

Postby sampaiocaleia » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:27 am

This is one of my favourite Springbank's expression

http://thewhiskyscapesociety.blogspot.com/search/label/Longrow
sampaiocaleia
Silver Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:32 am

Nick Brown wrote:It is just as rude to start a duplicate thread as it is to post without reading previous posts. The search function isn't really that daunting unless you want to find it so.

I accept your point, but I still say it will lead to stagnation on the forums if all everyone ever does is trawl through the information to see what has been said before. We really need to allow for the bar style conversation to take place to encourage folk to join in. This isn't the law Nick and I think ignorance of what went before is a reasonable excuse.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:50 am

CV is one of my favorite Springbanks also. A real surprise. somewhere between Ardbeg and |Talisker, though less "in your face" than either. One of my highlight new whisky discoveries of this year, along with Yamazaki 18 YO.

Also I have to agree with Willie re: the duplicate threads. They are few and far between and have never bothered me at all! Occasionally I see two on the same topic, and if one doesn't interest me I shrug and move on...

This is a place I come to browse, share and enjoy, and courtesies extend naturally as they would in a "barstyle conversation", but I too am not so fluid with computers as some, and if I start a thread I don't bother trying to see if anyone else ever has - but i never knowingly start a thread if I know there is currently a similar one.

Wonder what Mr. T would have to say about it?!?

Meanwhile, I fancy a Longrow CV RIGHT NOW to sip as a nightcap in a looooooooong hot bath which i desparately need after a hard weekend of gigging. Delighted to find that one of my regular gigs that used to only serve Glenfiddich 12 now has the original six Classic Malts! these things matter...especially when the drinks are on the house!

Somehow Lagavulin always tastes better in a bar.Why? Is it the element of surprise that peps up the tastebuds?...Or is this a matter for another thread?

Now for that Longrow...and then :sleep: !
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Bulkington » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:25 pm

Nick Brown wrote:
Bulkington wrote:It's finally arrived and last night I finally tried some...

Any reason for starting this thread when there is another one of an identical name? viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8722

Reasons abound....

Perhaps you can champion the former thread, if you think it's being neglected. You could bump it to the top by posting something like "Any reason for letting this thread go dead? How rude!"
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby Bulkington » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:29 pm

May I also suggest that all further discussion on this topic be moved to its proper place at the meta-thread. Wouldn't want to let that one die....
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby Bulkington » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:04 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:CV is one of my favorite Springbanks also. A real surprise. somewhere between Ardbeg and |Talisker, though less "in your face" than either.

Somehow Lagavulin always tastes better in a bar.Why? Is it the element of surprise that peps up the tastebuds?...Or is this a matter for another thread?

I don't know if this is due to my finicky palate (sometimes I think good stuff is wasted on me; others it's a revelation) or the whisky's flavor changing somewhat once the bottle's had time to breath, or both, but I had the CV last night and I tasted much more peat, which reminded me of your Ardbeg comparison. So the CV got even better. More mint and more barnyard.

I have something to say about Lagavulin's tasting better in bars. Maybe in another thread....
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:26 pm

I thought the CV suffered a little from the younger whiskies dominating, it was just a hint at the back of the palate but if was enought to knock off some points. Still a decent dram however.

Good thread by the way.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby bayhoff » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:16 am

In my search for smoke I have been looking at alternatives to Lag 16 (my favorite), Laph 10, and Ardbeg 10, and this one seems close. Maybe a tad smokier and less sweet than Talisker 10. Anyone agree or disagree?
bayhoff

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:55 pm

Like I said, one of the highlight "new whiskies" of 2006 for me!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Bulkington » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:08 pm

My favorite peaty youngster.
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby jmrl » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:16 pm

The 14yo Longrow is closer to the Lag 16, in price too unfortunately
jmrl
Gold Member