Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Wasmund's American Single Malt

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Wasmund's American Single Malt

Postby Secesh » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:57 pm

I just opened a bottle of this a few minutes ago. I will say it is... different.
As soon as I took the top off I was hit with the strong smell of cider. The nose itself seemed to be charred wood, with not much else coming through. The palate was strong in apples and wood. Too much wood. The finish was over taken by alcohol. Nothing else was able to break through it. My guess is that this is a by product of it's very short maturation (4 months). Matured longer it would probably be a much better whisky. As is it's something that was worth a try but I won't be buying again. That's a shame because I think it has potential; it just needs time.
Secesh
Bronze Member

Re: Wasmund's American Single Malt

Postby jmrl » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:50 pm

Yes Secesh this is ...different. I was very pleased to get the chance to taste this obscure whisky but didn't find it to my taste. I believe the green malt is dried over oak fires and perhaps oak chips afre used during maturation. Whatever 4 months seems a bit brief. Notes of paint and old fish skins had me struggling for optimism. But still very pleased to have tried it and hope Wasmunds have more offerings to tempt us with in the future. The whisky family line is truely diverse.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby lincoln imp » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:01 pm

Secesh wrote:I just opened a bottle of this a few minutes ago. I will say it is... different.
As soon as I took the top off I was hit with the strong smell of cider. The nose itself seemed to be charred wood, with not much else coming through. The palate was strong in apples and wood. Too much wood. The finish was over taken by alcohol. Nothing else was able to break through it. My guess is that this is a by product of it's very short maturation (4 months). Matured longer it would probably be a much better whisky. As is it's something that was worth a try but I won't be buying again. That's a shame because I think it has potential; it just needs time.

I take it then that its 3yrs 4 months old?
Cheers
LI
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby Leither » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:41 pm

LI - no, it's 4 months old according to the label and as such cannot legally be called whisky.

I tasted it along with jmrl and no words can describe it, it's simply :yuk: (at least in my opinion and most others who tasted it that night).

It is nice to try these things though :thumbsup:
Leither
Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:06 pm

Its too bad its not available here in Houston. I would like to put it in a oak barrel and further mature it and see what happens.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Secesh » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:25 pm

I have a 7/8 full bottle. The bidding starts at... ? :)
Secesh
Bronze Member

Postby cathach » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:26 pm

Get thee to ebay!!
cathach
Silver Member

Postby sku » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:45 pm

Leither wrote:LI - no, it's 4 months old according to the label and as such cannot legally be called whisky.

In the UK perhaps, but in the US it can be (and is) labeled whisky (we have no age requirement for the term).

It's pretty available here, though I am surprised it's made it overseas.
sku
Bronze Member

Postby oldrip57 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:40 am

By U.S. law, 'whiskey' is 'whiskey' from the time it comes off the still, if it meets certain requirements.
"Straight whiskey", however, is another matter, which requires aging in new, charred-oak barrels for at least two years -- four, if you want to eschew an age statement.
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby peat-chaser » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:30 am

Excuse me, but that sounds rather weird, they call a 4 month matured freshmake whisky and it´s taste is loads of wood?
Seems to have "matured" in some composit vessels together with a ton of woodchips.
Did you read the backlabel? I´m sure there has to be a hint like "Don´t serve without plenty of ice and coke!!!"

:wink:
peat-chaser
Bronze Member

Postby Secesh » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:06 pm

peat-chaser wrote:Excuse me, but that sounds rather weird, they call a 4 month matured freshmake whisky and it´s taste is loads of wood?
Seems to have "matured" in some composit vessels together with a ton of woodchips.
Did you read the backlabel? I´m sure there has to be a hint like "Don´t serve without plenty of ice and coke!!!"

Yes, it is matured with a bunch of woodchips in the cask. It's supposed to help the whiskey mature faster. :roll:

I applaud the attempt but shouldn't it be obvious that starting a small distillery from scratch required a bankroll in order to keep things going while the whiskey matures over several years, not months? Or am I just missing something since I'm new?
Secesh
Bronze Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:21 pm

Secesh wrote:
peat-chaser wrote:Excuse me, but that sounds rather weird, they call a 4 month matured freshmake whisky and it´s taste is loads of wood?

Yes, it is matured with a bunch of woodchips in the cask. It's supposed to help the whiskey mature faster. :roll:

I applaud the attempt but shouldn't it be obvious that starting a small distillery from scratch required a bankroll in order to keep things going while the whiskey matures over several years, not months? Or am I just missing something since I'm new?

It is absolutely correct that whisky should be matured over several years, and not months. Even with the wood chip attempt, I would think that 4 months is still not long enough for this to get close to mature. That certianly helps explain the strange taste you got with it.

I'm really not sure how these small distilleries even get going, because other than selling casks, there is really no way for money to be made while your first batch is maturing (usually at least 3 years).
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby sku » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:04 pm

This has been the major problem with the American micro-distillery movement. There are new malt whiskies popping up all over the US on what seems an almost daily basis, but they need some quick cash, so they rush product to market. The result is a bunch of unaged or barely aged malts. Hopefully, in another few years, we will get some good American malts from these producers, but for now, there isn't much out there.
sku
Bronze Member

Postby dcb » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:41 pm

I saw this bottle on the NH shelves a while back and it was expensive even for NH prices, which are generally excellent (I believe it was about $40). Couldn't bring my self to try it since it clearly stated 4 months old and I couldn't begin to imagine why it was bottled so young. I might have tried it if it was much cheaper, like $10-$15.
dcb

Postby Secesh » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:37 pm

dcb wrote:I saw this bottle on the NH shelves a while back and it was expensive even for NH prices, which are generally excellent (I believe it was about $40). Couldn't bring my self to try it since it clearly stated 4 months old and I couldn't begin to imagine why it was bottled so young. I might have tried it if it was much cheaper, like $10-$15.

Now that it's being cleared out I thought the price of $27 was reasonable given my interest in trying an American single malt.

I don't know how difficult it would be for one of these new micro distilleries to hook up with a bourbon maker but it seems like a good fit given what they can give each other in a future market. One has a new and different product, the other has $$ with the opportunity to make even more.
Secesh
Bronze Member

Postby Ryguy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:29 pm

I tried this last night, and I posted my thoughts here.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2193&p=171175#p171175

Thanks Secesh for the sample! :thumbsup:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Secesh » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:26 pm

ryguy wrote:I tried this last night, and I posted my thoughts here.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2193&p=171175#p171175

Thanks Secesh for the sample! :thumbsup:

You're welcome, I was happy to send it. :D
Secesh
Bronze Member

Postby Eric m » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:27 pm

Now i`m curious aren`t there any miniatures of Washmunds or are there people like to swap?
Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Postby Secesh » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:03 pm

Eric m wrote:Now i`m curious aren`t there any miniatures of Washmunds or are there people like to swap?
Eric.

No I don't believe any miniatures are available. You might want to check with some of the first posters in this thread who are in Europe. If no one has any and you still want to try it then let me know and I'll see if I can help. I think a 40yo Laphroaig would be a fair swap. :D :D
Secesh
Bronze Member

Postby Eric m » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:16 pm

If i had a Lap 40 it wouldn`t be a problemo :cry: unfortunately i haven`t but i can offer you a Laphroaig 8yo,a Dutch single malt,a vatted Islay or a Bunnahabain 10yo sherry finish at 46%abv.Pick one of these.
Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Postby Secesh » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:01 pm

Eric m wrote:If i had a Lap 40 it wouldn`t be a problemo :cry: unfortunately i haven`t but i can offer you a Laphroaig 8yo,a Dutch single malt,a vatted Islay or a Bunnahabain 10yo sherry finish at 46%abv.Pick one of these.
Eric.

Eric, you have a PM.
Secesh
Bronze Member

Postby UUNetBill » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:47 am

I was just in a shop in New Jersey this past weekend and was shown a bottle of this by one of the employees, who was enamored of the spirit. I thought it sounded interesting, but having already seen their selection of IBs that I wanted to diminish by a bottle or three, I decided to pass on it. The rep at the store told me it was matured in heavily charred applewood barrels with applewood chips, therefore didn't need to be aged longer than the few months it was. Unfortunately, I'm a believer in the theory that you can't rush some things - whiskey included. I'd rather have then pass on the chips and wait a few years. I'd surely try it, but I don't know as I'd buy it. Not when there are so many other options in the bourbon/American range at a similar price point.

JMHO
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby Secesh » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:23 pm

UUNetBill wrote:I was just in a shop in New Jersey this past weekend and was shown a bottle of this by one of the employees, who was enamored of the spirit. I thought it sounded interesting, but having already seen their selection of IBs that I wanted to diminish by a bottle or three, I decided to pass on it. The rep at the store told me it was matured in heavily charred applewood barrels with applewood chips, therefore didn't need to be aged longer than the few months it was. Unfortunately, I'm a believer in the theory that you can't rush some things - whiskey included. I'd rather have then pass on the chips and wait a few years. I'd surely try it, but I don't know as I'd buy it. Not when there are so many other options in the bourbon/American range at a similar price point.

JMHO

Good decision to pass it by. The chips may be an interesting idea, but you're right; even with them the whisky needs time to mature. If the clerk is enamored by it then I don't know if I would trust his opinion on other spirits :)
Or the store may just have a bunch they need to get rid of. The state stores here have been clearing it out for a while now. Do you remember the price?
Secesh
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:27 pm

Yes that was a lucky escape. I can't believe the guy really thinks it is good. I thought the Wasmund's was close to revolting and I struggled to finish the dram. (Those who know me understand the significance of this last bit.) Definitely be wary of the advise that he gives you in future.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:35 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Yes that was a lucky escape. I can't believe the guy really thinks it is good. I thought the Wasmund's was close to revolting and I struggled to finish the dram. (Those who know me understand the significance of this last bit.) Definitely be wary of the advise that he gives you in future.

It was a bit strange, I do agree Willie. But you struggled to finish it?? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Even I didn't have trouble finishing the sample I had. Should I be concerned about this? :insane:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:06 am

If I had to guess, I'd say the shop was trying to move stock. Of course, this was a predominately wine shop, but this was supposd to be one of their spirit guys. Who knows? Either way, I took a pass. Don't recall the price, but glad I saved my money - I just found a Dalmore 1973 30yo in a local shop. Seemed like a decent price, but I'm not 100% certain which expression it was. Might need to research it a bit and swing by and take another look at it. . .
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:47 am

Ryguy wrote:
Willie JJ wrote:Yes that was a lucky escape. I can't believe the guy really thinks it is good. I thought the Wasmund's was close to revolting and I struggled to finish the dram. (Those who know me understand the significance of this last bit.) Definitely be wary of the advise that he gives you in future.

It was a bit strange, I do agree Willie. But you struggled to finish it?? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Even I didn't have trouble finishing the sample I had. Should I be concerned about this? :insane:

He he, I was really just trying to emphasise the point Ryan, but I was in the Vaults at the time so the competition was fierce. It was rubbish though. I hate to say it, but I probably wouldn't have another unless it was put in front of me.
Willie JJ

Postby Wave » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:25 pm

UUNetBill wrote: The rep at the store told me it was matured in heavily charred applewood barrels with applewood chips, therefore didn't need to be aged longer than the few months it was. Unfortunately, I'm a believer in the theory that you can't rush some things - whiskey included. I'd rather have then pass on the chips and wait a few years. I'd surely try it, but I don't know as I'd buy it. Not when there are so many other options in the bourbon/American range at a similar price point.
JMHO

I think I detest Wasmund's more than I do Jack Daniels (and that's saying something!!!)
I was told basically the same thing while at Binny's a few months back. I found the price of it at almost $40 a bottle to be quite outrageous for an artificially aged whiskey specially when I can get an excellent W L Weller 12yo Bourbon for under $25.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:34 pm

Its fascinating stuff right enough. As charming as a psychopath but well worth experiencing. I've from time to time given it the benefit of the doubt but at other times rated it 'worst ever' and not lightly. I believe there are various batches so perhaps experimentation with variables may account for differing experiences. I was given a bottle but was trying to buy one. Had I paid for it the price would be justified as I prize my curiosity highly. But I have my limits. $40/£25 would be my limit but thats in retrospect.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby Secesh » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:50 am

Don't mean to open this thread back up, but back in December I met the owner, Rick Wasmund, and he opened a bottle of his latest release. I believe it was 15 months. Still way too young; but it was a huge improvement over the 4 month I originally had. He appears to be helping his cash flow by selling small barrels you can age yourself... not a bad hobby actually. If he can stay afloat then I think the results will be promising.

Oh yeah, and Eric m, don't bother to request a sample. You never bothered to tell me whether or not you received the first one; even after several pm's.
Secesh
Bronze Member

Postby jmrl » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:04 am

Very interesting. The remnants of the bottle I received has been used for raffle prizes at tastings. Next Thursday will see the last of the bottle being used. I expect there will be a cheer from the regulars with the passing of the chance to win a 25ml sample.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:39 am

There will be a cheer, although the presence of something truly awful in the raffle lends a litte spice to it. Personally I mourn the passing of the Fishky. I seldom laughed so much as when someone got that in the raffle (unless it was me of course) . :D :shock:
Willie JJ

Postby jmrl » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:12 pm

Plenty Aultmore 11yo left (but no Mekong)
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:13 pm

oh yes and almost a litre of Buffalo Trace 'White Dog', mabe the 'W' in 'White' was a typo.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby lockejn » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:31 am

Certainly one I'll never try again without being fully convinced there have been some dramatic improvements.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder