Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg 10: new vs. old

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Ardbeg 10: new vs. old

Postby Bulkington » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:22 pm

Am I right to understand that the new 10 yo is on the shelves in Europe now? (I assume not here. At least I haven't noticed.) Has anyone had a chance to compare them? I wonder if I should be stocking up on the old.
Bulkington
Silver Member

Re: Ardbeg 10: new vs. old

Postby TheTross » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:35 pm

Yes, the new Ten is out now, at least in the UK. I bought one and quickly compared it to an 'old' Ten (L8) a few days ago. I find the new Ten to be a little softer, sweeter and creamier than the older one, but with basically the same overall profile. Not sure which one I prefer yet, though I remember leaning slightly towards the new Ten at the time.

I'll be doing a proper H2H with these two sometime towards the weekend - I'm whisky-free for the first half of the week these days - so I'll report back in a bit more detail then.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:08 pm

I did a head to head about a week and a half ago and while it wasn't on a fresh palate I would agree with the Tross' assessment. For me there seemed to be more influence from the bourbon casks giving more of those softer toffee-ish flavours. The old ten to me was more fruity and seemed a little more complex. Both are excellent, but there is a clear difference between them. At the time I remember thinking that I marginally preffered the old ten, but whether that would follow on a fresh palate time will tell.

Cheers
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby peat-chaser » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:55 pm

Thanks to Keith, who gave me a sample of the new Tenlast week, so I could compare them on friday, the New Ten vs older Ten (L7=bottled 2007).
Well it took more than an hour, but in the end I can tell, I rated the new one a little higher because of its nose. It´s a bit more "ardbeggy", a little stronger or a little more powerful, the L7 is a little softer, but smoother too and closer to the mainsteam.

The palate of the L7 is a bit more influenced by the bourboncask, so it´s a bit smoother, with more vanilla and a little more sweetness, tariness and some wood, which I didn´t find in the new one. The new is a little stronger and a little more harsh, with less fruitiness, but with more power and presence. The lasting of the L7 is a bit smoother too and a bit alcoholic, the new one lasts a little longer.

In taste and lasting I didn´t make a difference in rating them, though there are more or less clear differences, but I like both rather well.
The only diffenence i rating I made was in the nose, so the the new one got one point more .....

So, I´d say the L7 and the New are almost the same, but I know that L6 and earlier where even smoother and less powerful than the L7. So according to your likings you can store some bottles of the old ten, but it´s not really necessary.
peat-chaser
Bronze Member

Postby AZmalt » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:45 am

Would anyone be willing to share their L6 vs. L7 tasting notes? I just discovered this thread and would like to see which of the two malts I should acquire if they are both available at my local merchants.

Thank you
AZmalt

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:48 am

The new 10 is available on some shelves here in Germany and I tried them in a head to head some time ago.

I am sure I had the tasting notes in my own tasting notes discussion, but they don't seem to be there any more.
I also posted the notes elsewhere on here and I will try to find them.

But, in essence I found the older one to be more 'Ardbeggy', the smoke and peat elements were stronger.
The new one has a little more citrus which adds to the flavour, but hides a little of the power of the peat.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:38 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:But, in essence I found the older one to be more 'Ardbeggy', the smoke and peat elements were stronger.
The new one has a little more citrus which adds to the flavour, but hides a little of the power of the peat.

I agree. The old one had a smokey bacon, hammy edge to it. The new one is lime, lime and more lime. I think they are very different, albeit with some similarities.
Deactivated Member

Postby suffolkwhisky » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:16 pm

Nick Brown wrote:
Malt-Teaser wrote:But, in essence I found the older one to be more 'Ardbeggy', the smoke and peat elements were stronger.

I agree. The old one had a smokey bacon, hammy edge to it. The new one is lime, lime and more lime. I think they are very different, albeit with some similarities.

A rare post but tried this a few times last week and I agree: I found lots more fruit in the new 10 (though for me more lemon than lime, although I do often confuse those fruits) as well as more sugar and less oak. Both are good. I haven't generally found the bacon notes in the 10 (apparently it is a particularly type of phenol that causes this) but I do in the Uigeadail.

Still no new 10 in shops round here though!
suffolkwhisky

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:22 pm

I think it's slightly difficult to compare the two given that the old one is technically 16 or 17 years old.
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:30 pm

butephoto wrote:I think it's slightly difficult to compare the two given that the old one is technically 16 or 17 years old.

Where did you get that from Mark ? Maybe 11 or 12 or 13 depending on the bottling , what you need to look at is the last distillation of pre-Glenmorangie , 1996 , and work from there . Also rumoured one of the last bottlings (pre new 10yo) contained 1997 glenmo distillation .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:32 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:
butephoto wrote:I think it's slightly difficult to compare the two given that the old one is technically 16 or 17 years old.

Where did you get that from Mark ? Maybe 11 or 12 or 13 depending on the bottling , what you need to look at is the last distillation of pre-Glenmorangie , 1996 , and work from there . Also rumoured one of the last bottlings contained 1997 glenmo distillation .

Um, just going with what Jim Murray said when he gave it the award...

:oops:
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:44 pm

So if it was 16yo when bottled in 2007 /2008 it was 1991/1992 stock , wouldn't have thought so given Ardbegs lack of stock !
And i wouldn't have thought they would throw that old of stock into the 10yo !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby killerwhale » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:26 am

just my 2 cents (Canadian at that!!) but the 'new' 10 was awesome...... well done Glenmo!!!!!
one has to try both and decide for themselves but it's darn good.
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Charlie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:48 pm

My first impressions are that I prefer the old one, although I still like the new one.

Maybe it will change with more familiarity.
Charlie

Postby xcaper » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:52 am

I haven't tried the newer bottling yet. I have 4 bottles of the 07 bottling and like it a lot :P . I'm hesitant about shelling out close to $100 for the new Ardbeg 10 but I'm sure curiosity will eventually get the better of me.
xcaper

Postby Bulkington » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:36 pm

xcaper wrote:I haven't tried the newer bottling yet. I have 4 bottles of the 07 bottling and like it a lot :P . I'm hesitant about shelling out close to $100 for the new Ardbeg 10 but I'm sure curiosity will eventually get the better of me.

$100 for the new 10? Where do you live? What country's currency is that?

The worst I've seen is at a liquor store in Park Slope, Brooklyn, where, consistent with their inflated prices, they're asking $66.
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby kwellada » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:09 pm

Bulkington wrote:$100 for the new 10? Where do you live? What country's currency is that?

The Ardbeg 10 is $93 CAD in British Columbia. At the moment, I guess that's only $75 or so USD, but the price was that high when the two currencies were on par earlier this year.
kwellada

Postby xcaper » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:18 am

Bulkington wrote:
xcaper wrote:I haven't tried the newer bottling yet. I have 4 bottles of the 07 bottling and like it a lot :P . I'm hesitant about shelling out close to $100 for the new Ardbeg 10 but I'm sure curiosity will eventually get the better of me.

$100 for the new 10? Where do you live? What country's currency is that?

The worst I've seen is at a liquor store in Park Slope, Brooklyn, where, consistent with their inflated prices, they're asking $66.

It's $99.95 Canadian for the Ardbeg 10 at the LCBO here in Ontario. I bought my Ardbeg 10 in Nova Scotia last year for about $55.00.

This time last year, Ardbeg 10 here in Ontario was selling for about $75.00.
xcaper

Postby thekw » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:57 am

Yup, sad to see the LCBO gouging at $100 a bottle. I am getting the same 10 yr old Ardbeg this week through family in Alberta for $64.
thekw

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder