Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glendronach

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Glendronach

Postby Elagabalus » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:21 pm

You know I think I wrote an article or inquiry about Glendronach a while ago. I can't really recall. Anyway, I really didn't like this dram. Too sweet in a fruity way. I don't really appreciate any whisky that tastes like truffle.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Re: Glendronach

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:40 pm

:o

ash .
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:50 pm

Elagabalus wrote:You know I think I wrote an article or inquiry about Glendronach a while ago. I can't really recall. Anyway, I really didn't like this dram. Too sweet in a fruity way. I don't really appreciate any whisky that tastes like truffle.

We all have different likes and dislikes, but maybe this would be better in the Tasting forum.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:03 am

No matter where you think what section of this forum this post belongs my mind is made up MT. Glendronach is just too fruity for me. LOL
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:37 pm

Elagabalus wrote:No matter where you think what section of this forum this post belongs my mind is made up MT. Glendronach is just too fruity for me. LOL

im just glad we cleared that up
8)

ash .
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:40 pm

Ela,
we may discuss the 'where' but I think I agree with the taste. I find it tastes a little too much of orange for my liking. A bit like Cointreau or Southern Comfort, but not as sweet or syrupy.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Elagabalus » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:15 am

:)0(:
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:04 am

I had a bottle back in 2006 and found it way too winey.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:46 am

No one has had much good to say about this SM. :|
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:08 am

Malt-Teaser wrote:
Elagabalus wrote:You know I think I wrote an article or inquiry about Glendronach a while ago. I can't really recall. Anyway, I really didn't like this dram. Too sweet in a fruity way. I don't really appreciate any whisky that tastes like truffle.

We all have different likes and dislikes, but maybe this would be better in the Tasting forum.
MT

Isn't this the Tasting forum? Or have I missed something??
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:29 am

Lawrence:
I think it got moved here by an Asministrator. But yes you are right it is the tasting forum!

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:33 pm

Glendronach may be an unremarkable whisky but when blended with Ardmore, the result is Teachers which is proof that sometimes blends are an improvement of single malt.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:12 pm

C_I wrote:Maybe the current 12yo might not be a spectacular one, that does not mean Glendronach is an unremarkable whisky. Maybe due to the fact that the 12 is the only widespread bottle currently available might give this impression. I have tasted Glendronach 15, 18/1972 and 33, and these were *much* better than the 12 (though 15 has some variable results). Although not tasted, the 25/1968 and Signatory 1970/1990 appear to be legendary.

Point well taken C_I. I was just refering to the 12.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:59 pm

Best Glendronach I've tasted was a 22-year old (distilled 1977) from the Douglas Laing Old malt Cask series... Much livelier, crisper and precisely delineated than many of the OBs I've tried, with the fruity sweetness ably held in check by drier, spicier flavour aspects.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Megawatt » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:09 pm

The Original 12 is a triple-cask whisky, which puts it in the same company as Glenfiddich Solera Reserve and The Macallan Fine Oak series (though I believe the Fine Oak uses a different cask combination than the other two). I didn't mind the Original 12 at all, but I think the Solera Reserve is a much better-balanced example of combining multiple cask types.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder