Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Teacher's

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Teacher's

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:14 am

Not bad. Not bad at all. Very versatile when you consider complexity and price.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Re: Teacher's

Postby Gov » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:42 am

Teachers rules! That reminds me, I need to get another bottle!
Gov
Gold Member

Postby hook55 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:06 am

:) Gee! I am thinking I might have to try Teachers now? I have always seen it in the stores, but because of the way the bottle looks and the cheap price I thought it would not be a nice whisky?
Thanks for your thread, next time i'm out I will get a bottle.
hook55
Silver Member

Postby bamber » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:58 am

I'm not keen on it.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Kernow » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:32 pm

Only a lil bit more money secures u something more drinkable, in my opinion.
Kernow
Bronze Member

Postby hilliamash » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:51 pm

I have to say that it has been one of my favorites! Bacon hits the spot!
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:59 am

I don't know if it's because I have been drinking this all day sometimes with coke sometimes straight but I dunno, I'm not fond of it very much. Where is the complexity? Where is that delicious OOMPH? Where is the pizzaz? lol omg Im hammered lololol. I love you all but the aforementioned sentiments still hold true. :P
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:34 pm

It's a good blend, I like it.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby bond » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:48 pm

I agree. Its just about a good blend. It was one of the first scotch blends that was widely available in my part of the world and is fairly popular too. But at this price point too, I prefer Black and White.
bond
Gold Member

Postby hilliamash » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:20 pm

Well, mix any scotch with coke, and you'll get something that I don't envy! :P

I've tried Black and White, and it's not a bad standard blend. It's not something for which I often search--but I have a bottle open, and occasionally the mood hits me for it. I place B&W in the same category as the newer version of Bell's--second rung on the latter, but still quite drinkable and enjoyable (although obviously they're quite different in style).

Overall, I'd still vote for Teacher's being my favorite standard blend. :thumbsup:
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby Gov » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:15 am

hilliamash wrote:

Overall, I'd still vote for Teacher's being my favorite standard blend. :thumbsup:

Me 2
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Megawatt » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:16 am

Am I the only one that doesn't care for this stuff? I found it bitter and flat.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby Gov » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:16 am

Megawatt wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't care for this stuff? I found it bitter and flat.

Yes! :lol:
Gov
Gold Member

Postby hook55 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:51 am

:o Well!! I went out yesterday and visited as many liquor shops as I could, And guess what? Nobody had teachers on the shelf, (I have seen before?) the last shop i went into I asked the Manager about Teachers? He told me they used to stock it, but not any more? as they couldn't sell it. he said it was not popular and most people won't drink it? :yuk:
hook55
Silver Member

Postby Elagabalus » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:18 am

Cheap scotch is an insult to good scotch. When you have had great blends and delicious sms how can you drink a cheap blend?

I'm serious. I don't know how you do it. I'm not a beer fan, but it's easier on my budget and palate and dignity to drink premium beer during the week and save my SMS for the weekend, than to drink cheap blends during the week.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby hilliamash » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:25 am

I guess it depends on your definition of cheap blends. Price does not always equal value or quality. :shock:
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:59 am

Elagabalus wrote:Cheap scotch is an insult to good scotch. When you have had great blends and delicious sms how can you drink a cheap blend?

I'm serious. I don't know how you do it. I'm not a beer fan, but it's easier on my budget and palate and dignity to drink premium beer during the week and save my SMS for the weekend, than to drink cheap blends during the week.

I agree with Hilmash.

Maybe i will elaborate too. By cheap, I think of price but not quality. Teachers is cheap in terms of price but not quality. Its a damn good blend. Maybe you should do a taste test between your "great blends" and Teachers (the "cheap blend") and see who comes out on top. you might be surprised.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:12 am

I am drinking Teacher's at the moment, and it has such an impressive nose of dulse, seaweed and salt air wafting up. Impressive! The taste is salt, smoke, peat and iodine with a bacon/malt backbone. Damn! For this price? You cant go wrong. I've been disappointed at much higher prices by other blends with specified ages, and some lower end single malts.
Last edited by Novice Scotch Fan on Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:22 am

Elagabalus wrote:I don't know if it's because I have been drinking this all day sometimes with coke sometimes straight but I dunno, I'm not fond of it very much. Where is the complexity? Where is that delicious OOMPH? Where is the pizzaz? lol omg Im hammered lololol. I love you all but the aforementioned sentiments still hold true. :P

Elagabalus, you crack me up! You started this thread by complimenting the complexity of this scotch blend, and now you are questioning it? First, I think mixing it with coke is a mistake, and if you are hammered, its probably best to reserve your judgment till you're in control of your faculties to make a reasonable judgment.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Bruichladdict » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:59 pm

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:
Elagabalus wrote:I don't know if it's because I have been drinking this all day sometimes with coke sometimes straight but I dunno, I'm not fond of it very much. Where is the complexity? Where is that delicious OOMPH? Where is the pizzaz? lol omg Im hammered lololol. I love you all but the aforementioned sentiments still hold true. :P

Elagabalus, you crack me up! You started this thread by complimenting the complexity of this scotch blend, and now you are questioning it? First, I think mixing it with coke is a mistake, and if you are hammered, its probably best to reserve your judgment till you're in control of your faculties to make a reasonable judgment.

Hello Mr./Mrs. Pot...ahem, this is the Kettle calling...

This from the guy/gal who puts ice in premium single malt?! GIVE ME A BREAK!
Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Postby Elagabalus » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:59 pm

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:

It's cheap blend. I can, therefore, do anything I like with it.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:34 am

Bruichladdict wrote:
Novice Scotch Fan wrote:

Hello Mr./Mrs. Pot...ahem, this is the Kettle calling...

This from the guy/gal who puts ice in premium single malt?! GIVE ME A BREAK!

Point well taken.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby pmullin » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:55 pm

This has always been my favourite "reasonably priced" blend. Perhaps one of the reasons it has a bit more depth is the higher-than-normal malt content that they claim.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby Gov » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:30 am

I agree with Novice Scotch Fan how good Teachers is for a blend, and you will never find any ice in my drams :mrgreen:
Gov
Gold Member

Postby kenmont » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:34 am

Definitely my favorite blend, certainly better than Johnnie Walker red and even the JW black label. The only blend I've had recently that comes close was a surprise find black label VAT 69 that came from the 1950s (it still had the pig-tailed closure). You can't go wrong with the Teacher's, however.
kenmont

Postby davesumner » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:24 am

kenmont wrote:Definitely my favorite blend, certainly better than Johnnie Walker red and even the JW black label. The only blend I've had recently that comes close was a surprise find black label VAT 69 that came from the 1950s (it still had the pig-tailed closure). You can't go wrong with the Teacher's, however.

While I agree that Teacher's is a pretty good blend and that, as a Scotch drinker on a budget myself, it's one of my main "go to" whiskies. But I don't think that I personally would put it above JW Black.

In fact, I prefer Dewar's over Teacher's personally. While Teacher's does have a deeper flavor profile then Dewar's and a little longer finish, for myself there's just a little too much "young whiskey and grain whiskey" taste in it to be really great.

I know that it get's high ratings here on Whiskey Mag, but I find myself usually preferring Famous Grouse, at the same price per half gallon, over Teacher's. I personally like the more "sherried Spey" taste of the Grouse then the more smoky character of Teacher's in the case between these two particular blends.

If I'm looking for a more "highland or Islay" type of taste, I usually pay the price difference and get Glen Garrioch or Black Bottle or again I'm a personal fan of Dewar's.

But I still keep a bottle of Teacher's on my shelf. It's to good of a bargain not too.

I will say this; I much prefer Teacher's over White Horse. But again, for only a few dollars more, I prefer Glen Garioch over both of these.

But, I would take a drop of JW Black over everything I just mentioned without a thought. But I personally actually prefer something like Dewar's 12 or Isle of Jura over JW Black. :wink:
davesumner

Postby kenmont » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:23 pm

[While I agree that Teacher's is a pretty good blend and that, as a Scotch drinker on a budget myself, it's one of my main "go to" whiskies. But I don't think that I personally would put it above JW Black.

In fact, I prefer Dewar's over Teacher's personally. While Teacher's does have a deeper flavor profile then Dewar's and a little longer finish, for myself there's just a little too much "young whiskey and grain whiskey" taste in it to be really great.

I know that it get's high ratings here on Whiskey Mag, but I find myself usually preferring Famous Grouse, at the same price per half gallon, over Teacher's. I personally like the more "sherried Spey" taste of the Grouse then the more smoky character of Teacher's in the case between these two particular blends.

If I'm looking for a more "highland or Islay" type of taste, I usually pay the price difference and get Glen Garrioch or Black Bottle or again I'm a personal fan of Dewar's.

But I still keep a bottle of Teacher's on my shelf. It's to good of a bargain not too.

I will say this; I much prefer Teacher's over White Horse. But again, for only a few dollars more, I prefer Glen Garioch over both of these.

But, I would take a drop of JW Black over everything I just mentioned without a thought. But I personally actually prefer something like Dewar's 12 or Isle of Jura over JW Black.]

Good observations, Dave. Your reprise of alternatives to Teacher's is quite thorough and well written. I'm with you on the Glen Garioch and I might even throw in an Old Pulteney as an excellent scotch with a favorable price point.

Ken
kenmont

The 12 year old “Teacher’s 50”

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:34 pm

Anybody ever try the 12 yr old "Teacher's 50" which I understand is only marketed in India?
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby osiris » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:54 pm

Yesterday I had my very first Teacher's (it is the third brand I tried since I am very new into whisky ;)). I was surprised with the "wood taste". You read a lot about it but now I experienced it myself. Though I can only compare it to two other whiskies (Glenhood and The famous grouse) this one had by far the one with the most "wood taste".
osiris

Postby pmullin » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:58 pm

The "wood taste" might actually be the smokey/"peaty" notes from the peated Ardmore malt that goes into Teacher's. Try an Islay malt or another peated blend, such as Black Bottle or Black Grouse, and see if you pick up the same flavours.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby osiris » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:35 pm

pmullin wrote:The "wood taste" might actually be the smokey/"peaty" notes from the peated Ardmore malt that goes into Teacher's. Try an Islay malt or another peated blend, such as Black Bottle or Black Grouse, and see if you pick up the same flavours.

Thanks for your comment, it helps me understand my tastings better! :) How does it come that peat gives a "wood" taste instead of an "earth" taste? I also noticed that Teacher's feel a little bit more thicker than Glenhood or The Famous Grouse.
osiris

Postby osiris » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:54 am

pmullin wrote:The "wood taste" might actually be the smokey/"peaty" notes from the peated Ardmore malt that goes into Teacher's. Try an Islay malt or another peated blend, such as Black Bottle or Black Grouse, and see if you pick up the same flavours.

Today I had the Ardbeg 10 Years Old and tasted the same "wood/smoke" taste. I guess you are right with the peaty taste :)
osiris

Postby Toronto_Andrew73 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:14 pm

Teacher's is by far the best bottom-shelf-blend...great for mixing and drinking on ice (yes...ice). IMP it's better than Bells, JW Red, J&B, Cutty etc... However, once you move up a notch (ex JW black) its tougher for it to compete.

It may have the best Price to Quality ratio of any Scotch.
Toronto_Andrew73

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:08 am

Agreed Toronto! Actually, I prefer Teachers to JWBlack and in comparison with several other more expensive blends. I think a lot of people think that because of the low price, it cannot possibly be as good as it is. Its a hard sell to a lot of scotch drinkers until they try it. Price does not necessarily equal quality.

The other thing about Teachers that brings me back for more is the taste is quite unique. For example, Johnnie Walker products all have a similar taste due to the core sms used being the same. Other producers have bottlings that taste like competitors, just tweaked differently. Teachers is like no other that I have tasted so far.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby kyorke1 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:10 pm

Teacher's has to be the blend of my choice, I rate it over JW Black and Red Label and definately over Famous Grouse. I don't remember Grant's Family Reserve being that bad, thats remembering back a long time ago though.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder