Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bought Laprhoaig Quarter Cask tonight.

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Bought Laprhoaig Quarter Cask tonight.

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:14 am

Far too smokey for me. Burnt taste to it too. Not a fan of this. I prefer the 10.

Not a fan of extreme Islays I guess.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Re: Bought Laprhoaig Quarter Cask tonight.

Postby pkt77242 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:24 am

Elagabalus,

Sorry you didn't like it. I found the QC to be rather sweet with peat, iodine, and salt.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:05 am

Give me 20 bucks, I only had an ounce. Seriously, I'd rather put the 20 towards some delicious sherried cask strength. IE Macallan or another a'bunadh.

I'll probably splurge and get the Caol Ila distiller's edition next week. I hope it is more pleasing to my palate than the Laprhoaig QC. What I dont understand is that people said the QC and 10 were pretty close. I seem to recall enjoying the 10 quite a bit.

Weird.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:09 am

You are right, I might give it another go. Definately a malt I have to pay attention to. The 10 didnt seem that difficult. I figured I might as well give it a go since it is on sale. I'm still really mad Lagavulin increased 25 bucks a bottle. Dammit. Gotta stock up on the Aberlour this winter. I wish we had the 16 :( Only 10,12 and A'bunadh.

Does your circle of friends or even your family drink sms?
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:12 pm

Elagabalus wrote:You are right, I might give it another go. Definately a malt I have to pay attention to. The 10 didnt seem that difficult. I figured I might as well give it a go since it is on sale. I'm still really mad Lagavulin increased 25 bucks a bottle. Dammit. Gotta stock up on the Aberlour this winter. I wish we had the 16 :( Only 10,12 and A'bunadh.

Does your circle of friends or even your family drink sms?

Elagabalus, you have experienced my great fear, which is to drop a lot of money on a bottle and be disappointed to the point that you dont even want to finish it.

But, scotch can be an emotional thing. Sometimes, I have a dram of something new, and it is terrible I think, or a disappointment on some level, and that sentiment has more to do with my bad day than the whisky. Other times, I recollect a great taste to a mediocre bottle, upon subsequent tasting, and the great taste probably had more to do with the company and conversation. Solution? Have another drink . . .
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:45 pm

Certainly everyone's tastes are different but QC is sweeter and smoother to me than the standard 10. Maybe give it another shot?
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:01 pm

Wow looks like you guys are really receiving some serious price hikes
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:51 pm

Maybe I will try it again with some cheeses or something. I have some Austrian Guyere it might go well with.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:12 pm

E, I prefer the 10 as well. One thing I've noted is Laphroaig is quite wonderful with cacao. Maybe worth a try sometime.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Single Malt Kommunist » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:25 pm

Ditto on that...Im a bit set on the QC with a small sample of >70% cocoa content chocolate. Amazing.

If I had a 10 in the cabinet, Id happily trade you...
Single Malt Kommunist
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:06 am

E, I had a dram of the official Cask Strength Lap. tonight. The one with the red stripe -55.7%. Some dram!

I enjoy the QC, but sometimes I find it a bit rough...the 10 may be better balanced. But the CS is like the 10 on steroids!

give the QC time. You might find it fits into a sequence one night. Like, try a "peaty' sequence going up in ABV. Start with the 10 YO Lap. Move on to say an Ardbeg 10, or even something a bit different like the Talisker 10. then try the QC...

Laphroiag is invariably a shock to the system in the early days, and now, 10 years on, it's definitely a mood thing. sometimes it's the last thing i want...at other times it hits the spot like no other!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Bruichladdict » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:29 am

Hey...I'll give you 30$ for the bottle...put it in the tube and mail it to Kingston via courrier. Just tape up the cork to be sure it doesn't come undone! I'm quite serious if you want to recoupe the cost!

I'm GDamed furious with the LCBO. People are losing their jobs, the economy is in shambles and these pricks think that a 25% price increase is appropriate and acceptable. Well I've got news for them...I'll be buying my stuff in NY virtually duty free. They can kiss my consumer bucks good buy.
Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Postby Elagabalus » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:32 am

Reggae, Talisker 10 is one of my favourite standard SMs. I'll give the QC another shot on the weekend. My poor A'Bunadh needs a break. lol

Bru, I hear you about the price increases. I couldn't believe it when Lagavulin jumped from 99 to 125 overnight. It is just ridiculous. The LCBO should have been privatized long ago.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:03 am

Elagabalus wrote:Far too smokey for me. Burnt taste to it too. Not a fan of this. I prefer the 10.

Not a fan of extreme Islays I guess.

Have you tried it with water? Does it not improve?

I found it to be fresher than the 10.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:08 am

How much water do you recommend? I am willing to attempt whatever is recommended. I know the QC is quite highly celebrated here, so perhaps I'm just not sampling it correctly.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:17 am

Elagabalus wrote:How much water do you recommend? I am willing to attempt whatever is recommended. I know the QC is quite highly celebrated here, so perhaps I'm just not sampling it correctly.

It is 48% abv, so try a few drops. It should improve. Even just 1 drop should open it up. Remember that Ardbeg is only 46%abv.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby lexvo » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:08 pm

talisker10 wrote:Certainly everyone's tastes are different but QC is sweeter and smoother to me than the standard 10.

That's my impression too. I find the QC more balanced than the 10.
lexvo
Silver Member

Postby Elagabalus » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:57 pm

Opened it up just now, trying it again. It's okay actually. I wonder what happened on my first sampling. Not one of my favs though, but more the palatable.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:32 am

It took me a little while to learn to appreciate this one and now it is one of my favourites.
Give it some time and who knows, you might actually end up enjoying it :D
borgom
Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:14 am

I know the 10 took some time for me to get used to, but the QC was good for me from the first sip of the first dram. Maybe it's because I already had the taste for the 10 and the QC just hit my taste buds easier, I don't know. . .but I do think the QC is an acquired taste for a lot of people.
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby Megawatt » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:24 am

Thought I'd ressurect an old thread rather than start a new one...

I've had this whisky numerous times at my brother's house and was never too keen on it. I traded him my last two ounces of Talisker Distillers Edition for his last two of Quarter Cask so I could get it home and try it under more controlled conditions.

My opinion stands: I don't get a whole lot of complexity out of this whisky. The smoky peat dominates. I enjoy some peat but I'm not an addict like some. It seems, and I don't want to sound critical, that for some Scotch=peat, and the more peat the better. I like to have balancing sweetness, as in Talisker or Lagavulin. There is some light caramel sweetness here, but it gets overpowered by an ashen smokiness, like a cold fireplace. And the nose is certainly ultra-medicinal.

However, what the hell. I'm not saying this is bad stuff, or that I wouldn't drink it. I just don't see myself ever buying it. I would sooner buy Lagavulin even though it's twice the price. But I can see how a smokehead would be in heaven with this stuff. I'm wondering, has anyone compared it to Dun Bheagan Islay? That is the closest thing I've ever tasted to this, though I haven't compared them side by side.

Hmm, the nose definitely gets sweeter and a tad creamy after sitting awhile with some water. I think it's the charred wood flavour, present in Bowmore as well, which puts me off somewhat. Or something else I can't put my finger on.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder