Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg Supernova

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.
Related whiskies : Ardbeg Supernova

Re: Ardbeg Supernova

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:15 pm

mr_fox wrote:I think a few people would fly to Sweden with a big suitcase at that price!

I think a few people will be asking some serious questions of LVMH , including me , if they are selling a release effectively half price in one country.......
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby whiskyhibby » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:14 pm

Sounds like a potential rip-off

Any Ardbeg insiders willing to share the UK pricing details?

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
whiskyhibby

Postby lohssanami » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:22 pm

It's on TWE's site for £73.99 incl. VAT and limited to one bottle per customer.

It's been on the site for a couple of days.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby kildalton kid » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:43 pm

TWE also have Still Young at, I think £45, which is still available at the Distillery on-line shop for £30...Could be TWE are upping the price of their own accord. When I placed an order in March I asked for a reserved bottle of Supernova to collect with the rest of the order at the festival in May and was told they didn't know what price it would be...
kildalton kid

Postby Klas » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:34 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they will realise that the price has been set to low and that they will adjust it prior to the release in June. Let's see. I will keep you posted.

/Klas
Klas
Silver Member

Postby mr_fox » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:36 pm

Anyone know why it's not on Ardbeg's own site?
mr_fox

Postby Jurgen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:15 pm

For all those who sit on the beloved committe bottling Ardbeg Supernova. Keep it. I don't care, and I will never buy it.

For all those who try to get the more (?) standard version: taste it. It is, according to me, one of the best Ardbegs (I am not talking about the exaggerated prices (but worth to pay for, but not to collect or to gain profit, but to drink it) for the Ardbegs 70's) I've been drinking since the new introducing 10 years old.

Slainte
Jurgen

Postby Klas » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:13 pm

mr_fox wrote:Anyone know why it's not on Ardbeg's own site?

Yes, that is a bit strange?
Klas
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:15 pm

its also on royal mile at £74ish - 2 per customer and it states that its cheaper than rrp

still not on ardbeg site - strange

ash .
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Jurgen wrote:For all those who sit on the beloved committe bottling Ardbeg Supernova. Keep it. I don't care, and I will never buy it.

For all those who try to get the more (?) standard version: taste it. It is, according to me, one of the best Ardbegs (I am not talking about the exaggerated prices (but worth to pay for, but not to collect or to gain profit, but to drink it) for the Ardbegs 70's) I've been drinking since the new introducing 10 years old.

Slainte

The "Committee" Supernova and the "General" Supernova are exactly the same Whisky Jurgen , just different Label and one comes in a box !

Regarding the Lack of SN on the Old Kiln , the distillery is going to be the last to get stock , either next week or the week after . Have also seen a well know mail order shop selling it for £87.......
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Klas » Sat May 09, 2009 11:04 am

Ardbeg Supernova seems to be discussed in several threads, but I choose to post here to follow up on the discussion regarding the price of Ardbeg Supernova in Sweden.

Klas wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they will realise that the price has been set to low and that they will adjust it prior to the release in June. Let's see. I will keep you posted.

The Swedish store Systembolaget has now (as anticipated) adjusted the price for the coming launch of Supernova in June of 2700 bottles. They must have realised that the first price of 491 SEK was a mistake.

The price in Sweden will be 799 SEK which equals to 68 GBP.
Not as cheap as they first indicated, but still a good price compared to other locations.
Klas
Silver Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Sun May 10, 2009 10:25 am

I know I have posted this on a few forums .. but I am so proud of this .... You have to have balls to drink Supernova

Super Brave Gonad is an anagram of Ardbeg Supernova

For our European cousin's, Gonad's are another word for the ...'male nuts' (cant think of a better way to put it)
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Klas » Sun May 10, 2009 11:27 am

haha, that was a good one!
Klas
Silver Member

Postby Klas » Tue May 12, 2009 7:36 pm

I recent received the Supernova, general release, from TWE.
I noticed that my Supernova, committee reserve, has the bottle code L8 344 while my Supernova, general release, has the code L9 078.

So, it seems like the committee reserve was bottled in 2008 and while the general release was bottled in 2009. Are they from the same batch or from two different batches? I guess that they are quite the same anyway?
Klas
Silver Member

Postby lisa » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:15 am

Spirit of Islay wrote:
Jurgen wrote:For all those who sit on the beloved committe bottling Ardbeg Supernova. Keep it. I don't care, and I will never buy it.

Slainte

The "Committee" Supernova and the "General" Supernova are exactly the same Whisky Jurgen , just different Label and one comes in a box !

Regarding the Lack of SN on the Old Kiln , the distillery is going to be the last to get stock , either next week or the week after . Have also seen a well know mail order shop selling it for £87.......

I´m getting some indications that the Committee release and the General release are NOT "exactly the same Whisky" as it was earlier presumed (and vaguely confirmed by Ardbeg). Serge has sort of retracted on his first comparing tasting assumptions and now thinks he might actually have compared two samples of the general release with each other (and not the committee version at all). There has also been (blind) head to heads within my communities where the difference has been stated as rather obvious (even colour differing). The committee version came out higher on the points from these blind tests. The same ABV is by many seen as a strong indication of "sameness" but that has also been disputed. I can see why Ardbeg would not gain from them being seen as "different batches" but has anyone here done a proper head to head?

I only have the committee version myself and have only read about the samplings referred above
lisa

Postby Aidan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:45 am

lisa wrote:Serge has sort of retracted on his first comparing tasting assumptions and now thinks he might actually have compared two samples of the general release with each other (and not the committee version at all).

Hmmm.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby papercrack » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:01 pm

Oh Dear have Ardbeg committed an own goal .

:oops:
papercrack
Bronze Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:20 pm

At the two Morning Festival tastings i attended at Ardbeg ( the Special and Committee bottling one...) Mickey was asked about the difference between the Committee Version and the Standard release , From the same batch the only difference , apart from the label box etc.... , was that they were bottled at different times and there was a bit of added storage ( didn't elaborate so don't ask in what) between them . To be honest i can't tell the difference between them , not bothered if there is , too busy enjoying drinking them than analysing any slight discrepancy in product or statements about them .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Caledonia » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:01 am

Sorry I havent been able to read the first 7 pages of this thread.

Has anybody said anything about the cost of this whisky?

£65 for comittee and then a further on average £75 for the standard release.

I have tasted both as well, and money seemed to always be at the fore front of my mind when dealing with Ardbeg these days (Blasda's fault).

If you were asked is it worth that much money (and fuss...lol at Ardbeg) what would you say?
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby desouza » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:38 am

Just tasted the infamous Supernova and am pleased to report it is "as good as they expected it to be" - just phenomenal!
There were 13 bottles allocated to the great state of Texas and we got one!
The cost was $ 104 - not bad for a very delightful dram! :D
desouza

Postby S72 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Hello 'vrybody.

Does anybody know if the Supernova is a really limited one on will it be established as a new standard?

Regards

Stef
S72

Postby Leorin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:49 pm

The Supernova Stellar Release is a limited edition Ardbeg. I heard that 18000 bottles have been produced but as this is no official info it could be wrong. However the Supernova could be around for a long time just like other Ardbegs like the Airigh nam beist 1990 Vintage, Almost There and Renaissance that are all limited editions too.
Leorin
Bronze Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:31 pm

Leorin wrote: However the Supernova could be around for a long time just like other Ardbegs like the Airigh nam beist 1990 Vintage, Almost There and Renaissance that are all limited editions too.

Hi Leorin ,
The Almost There and Renaissance were one off bottlings , The Airigh Nam Beist was different , there have been 3 bottlings (Batches) , a 2006 , 2007 and 2008 Bottling . It's rapidly running out .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Leorin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:37 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:The Almost There and Renaissance were one off bottlings , The Airigh Nam Beist was different , there have been 3 bottlings (Batches) , a 2006 , 2007 and 2008 Bottling . It's rapidly running out .

I knew that SoI, but thanks for specifying my informations.
The ongoing Airigh Nam Beist batch is imo the Ardbeg OB that currently offers the best value for the money, as for me it is the most sophisticated and complex standard bottling and I think that we will not see another 17 or 18 year old Ardbeg OB for less than 50 pounds again in the foreseeable future.
Leorin
Bronze Member

Postby lohssanami » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:44 pm

The Renaissance was 21,000 bottles, and it was released this time last year. The retail market had plenty of Renaissance available everywhere, but I think LVMH wised up, and they'll be spreading the release schedule of 18,000 Supernova out a bit.

...wait till stocks thin...release some more...etc. We might even have a different box with each release. Stellar Release on the first one, and any guesses on the future boxes?

Astral, Celestial, Galactic, Heavenly?

:P
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:48 pm

And the final release, "Where's the KY?"!
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby whiskyhibby » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:08 pm

[quote="lohssanami"]The Renaissance was 21,000 bottles, and it was released this time last year. The retail market had plenty of Renaissance available everywhere, but I think LVMH wised up, and they'll be spreading the release schedule of 18,000 Supernova out a bit.

...wait till stocks thin...release some more...etc. We might even have a different box with each release. Stellar Release on the first one, and any guesses on the future boxes?

In other words a rip-off :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:
whiskyhibby

Postby lohssanami » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:47 am

I just wanted to point out my jabs are directed at the business side of things, and the decision makers at Glenmo or LVMH. I know the fine folks at the Ardbeg Distillery don't control these release decisions so I want to make sure my jest is not taken towards them.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:41 am

lohssanami wrote:

Astronomical, celebrating the most expensive Supernova release to date.
Aidan

Postby Klas » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:59 am

The 2700 bottles of the Supernova General release designated for Sweden sold out in less then 10 days. (from all of the Swedish stores) Price 799 SEK (£ 68).
Klas
Silver Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:39 pm

There's still plenty of it here.
Willie JJ

Postby Jimmy321 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:58 pm

edited.
Jimmy321
Silver Member

Postby Iain » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:40 pm

Aidan wrote:
lohssanami wrote:

Astronomical, celebrating the most expensive Supernova release to date.

:D
Iain
Double Gold Member

Related whiskies : Ardbeg Supernova

Previous

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder