Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

1940 Old Fitzgerald Bourbon

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

1940 Old Fitzgerald Bourbon

Postby Ricki (Regina) » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:35 pm

Just given several bottles of bourbon scotch tequilla gin etc. When I was preparing to put them away. I noticed they were all quite old. One bottle in particular has peeked my curiosty. It is a pint size of Old Fitzerald 100 proof sour mash bourbon. :shock: Distilled 1940 bottled 1945. This bottle still has its orginal seal and has never been opened which makes it now 63 years old. Today is October 24, 2003. To me this is a very valuable find. My QUESTION IS: what is this valued at. I have done extensive internet research but have discovered this Kentucky bourbon distilled at Stizel-Weller was closed in 1991. So is this a valuable bottle of booze? What is its value?
Thank you so much for your help.
Last edited by Ricki (Regina) on Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricki (Regina)

Re: 1940 Old Fitzgerald Bourbon

Postby Ricki (Regina) » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:50 pm

[quote="Ricki (Regina)"]Just given several bottles of bourbon scotch tequilla gin etc. When I was preparing to put them away. I noticed they were all quite old. One bottle in particular has peeked my curiosty. It is a pint size of Old Fitzerald 100 proof sour mash bourbon. :shock: Distilled 1940 bottled 1945. This bottle still has its orginal seal and has never been opened which makes it now 63 years old. Today is October 24, 2003. To me this is a very valuable find. My QUESTION IS: what is this valued at. I have done extensive internet research but have discovered this Kentucky bourbon distilled at Stizel-Weller was closed in 1991. So is this a valuable bottle of booze? What is its valueThank you so much for your help.[/quote]
Ricki (Regina)

Postby DENIS » Sat Oct 25, 2003 11:10 pm

the official age of your bourbon is 5 yrs
it will only be age during the maturation in the cask
DENIS

Postby mickblueeyes » Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:21 am

The official age is 5 yrs, but it does have good value nonetheless. My advice would be to email http://www.whiskyauction.com and ask. The gentleman there is quite learned in the field of whiskey collection.

With regard to Stitzel-Weller, it was closed in 1991 when UDV purchased it. However, the recipes used at that distillery were continually made at the Bernheim distillery until 1999, when UDV relenquished its Bourbon holdings in Kentucky. All recipes and standing stock were sold to Sazerac Company (Buffalo Trace) with the exception of Old Fitzgerald and the Bernheim distillery, which were sold to Heaven Hill.

I saw a similar bottling sell for around 100 bucks for a pint, so you could guesstimate that if the label is intact and most of the whiskey is in the bottle with an unbroken seal, it would fetch anywhere from 50-150 US dollars to the right collector.
mickblueeyes

Postby Ricki (Regina) » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:32 pm

Well I do have excellent news. A local chef and restaurant owner has stated that my bourbon is at least valued between $1000.00 to $2000.00. So now I do know I have a valuable bottle of hootch. uuuummmm!!!
Ricki (Regina)

Postby mickblueeyes » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:49 pm

I would be careful about basing a value on what a chef has to say about it. Take my advice and email http://www.whiskyauction.com Frankly, I think the individual you asked has little to no knowledge about it whatsoever.
mickblueeyes

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder