Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

1952 Crown Royal

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

1952 Crown Royal

Postby Draco » Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:50 am

I have a bottle of 1952 Crown Royal in the original box and bag with the seals intact. I thought about drinking it on my 50th birthday soon. I thought about E-Bay. Then I found Whiskey Magazine and this forum. I would like to know what it's value is before I make any decisions. Thank you all in advance for your help.
Dear Whiskey Magazine forum group. I posted the above question some time ago. I am surprised to find that there has been so many views on my question, yet there has been no responses. I feel as though because of the age of the Crown Royal, I may not be believed. After doing some research, I realize that supposedly that Crown Royal was not sold in the US until about 1965. This bottle I have was given to me by my grandmother who lived in Syracuse NY. I know that our family frequently visited Canada as we have a cottage on Sandy Pond, NY and attached to Lake Ontario, which is only an hour away from Canada. So I guess she bought it in Canada.
Again I would be grateful for your help in determining any value it has for the reasons stated above.
Personally, I love good small batch bourbons. I am especially fond of George Dickel, white label, Knobb Creek etc.
Thank you again for help.
Draco

Postby blackkeno » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:41 am

I am quite a fan of Canadian whisky and have almost 100 premium bottlings. Interest in collectible Canadian whisky however is rather uncommon. The whisky auctions which have become increasingly common are primarily single malt Scotch, with almost no Canadian whisky. Accordingly, Canadian whisky has not had a huge increase in price for collectibles. This is also why, even those of us who are interested in old expressions of Canadian whisky don't have much of a feel as to what your bottle might be worth.

I think your CR is very interesting. I would suggest you check with the Seagram headquarters to see if they can get you looking in the right place. You also might want to check out some of the on-line auction sites ( such as http://www.whiskyauction.com)and some of the whisky retailers (in this Magazine) which focus on rare old bottlings.

BTW, I also have many great expressions of US and Irish whiskey and over 200 single malts, so my interest is not primarily Canadian.
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Postby SasquatchMan » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:46 am

I don't think it's a case of not being believed but rather a case of no one having any idea what it's worth. Is whiskey even drinkable after fifty years in a bottle?
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

1952 Crown Royal

Postby Lawrence » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:50 pm

I agree that's it's not a lack of interest but a lack of knowledge on the value of older Canadian Whiskies. I suggest you monitor ebay for a month and see what others are ASKING for older Crown Royals (which do appear frequently) and then see what they sell for at the end of the auction. If you do determine a value please let us know however I advise you drink it with friends!
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder