Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Old Stitzel Weller Bourbons

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Old Stitzel Weller Bourbons

Postby luvthosestlblues » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:22 am

I have 3 old Stitzel Weller bourbons I want to drink, but am curious about their approximate ages and differences. They are:
Stitzel Weller 107 Original Barrel proof - came in a beige box with lots of writing and drawings on front. Looks to be about 50 yrs old. Label says "original (picture of barrel) proof"
Stitzel Weller 107 Original Barrel Proof - also has "PEOL" written in gold lettering on label. Box states "for the Conniseuer". Has state tax wax stamp on it.
Weller Antique Reserve 110 Proof 10 yr old - bottle has gold lettering.

Any help on these?
Thanks!
luvthosestlblues

Re: Old Stitzel Weller Bourbons

Postby Ganga » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:29 am

I'll ask S'tan who is a bit Stitzel Weller fan. I will be chatting with him tomorrow.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby oldrip57 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:46 am

luvthosestlblues wrote:I have 3 old Stitzel Weller bourbons I want to drink, but am curious about their approximate ages and differences. They are:
Stitzel Weller 107 Original Barrel proof - came in a beige box with lots of writing and drawings on front. Looks to be about 50 yrs old. Label says "original (picture of barrel) proof"
Stitzel Weller 107 Original Barrel Proof - also has "PEOL" written in gold lettering on label. Box states "for the Conniseuer". Has state tax wax stamp on it.
Weller Antique Reserve 110 Proof 10 yr old - bottle has gold lettering.

Any help on these?
Thanks!

Are you the guy that claimed to be opening Grand-Dad's stash at BourbonEnthusiast.com? Take it from me, you're really pissing off the real bourbon folk -- you seem to be shopping for an offer by mentioning them all over the place.
Either drink 'em, or put a "For Sale" sign on them. Coyness equates to being a sneak with these fellows, okay?
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby luvthosestlblues » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:06 am

Yes it's me. I am merely looking for history/background on the bottles. I didnt get an answer to the question on the other site. No I'm not shopping them around. Yes we are going to drink them when my family is together in May. I love bourbon, and am excited about the opportunity to drink some old bottles. I was hit by how cool the bottles were when I found them in my grandfather's basement. I know there's charlatans out there, but I'm not one of them, and dont need any money. So cool your jets.
luvthosestlblues

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:04 am

Hello!

If you are still checking these pages for an answer, I'll do the best I can with the info on hand. Please note that OldRip57 most likely knows more about old Stitzel Weller Bourbons than anybody else that posts here, not to mention the other sites you visited. I was somewhat surprised by his response to your inquiry. I had no difficulty understanding that you only seemed to be looking for info. My suggestion: If you can post some pictures of them, it would really help to nail down their provenance. It might even draw OldRip57 back to look and possibly help you if I'm not able. One thing you can do to get an idea of their age is to check the bottom of the bottles. Amongst the numbers, there should be a double digit number that represents the year the bottle was made, i.e., 57, 63, 71 etc. Usually the bottles were filled the same year as they were manufactured, so this can be quite helpful in determining their age (filling date wise). If there is a second two digit number on the bottle's bottom, you may have to use some common sense in determining which is the correct one, although I have consistently found the number to the right side of the two will be the bottle year. Hopefully, this info will be of use to you.

Classic stuff that Stitzel-Weller juice! Enjoy!

Slainte!

S'tan
S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:06 am

Hello again:

One other thought: You could contact Julian Van Winkle at Old Rip Van Winkle and inquire with him. He loves to "talk" about the older Van Winkle bottlings and surely would fill you in with the history of yours. Just Google Old Rip Van Winkle and you will be able to contact them.

Slainte!

S'tan
S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

Postby oldrip57 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:55 am

S_tan_De_mon wrote:...Please note that OldRip57 most likely knows more about old Stitzel Weller Bourbons than anybody else that posts here, not to mention the other sites you visited. I was somewhat surprised by his response to your inquiry. I had no difficulty understanding that you only seemed to be looking for info...

First, thank you for your comment and confidence. I HAVE enjoyed a fair amount of vintage S-W product, including some I've enjoyed with the Van Winkle progeny themselves, or directly by their hand. I believe that makes me more lucky than expert, but...
These bottles have been mentioned already on bourbon sites. Now, they appear here on what is primarily a Scotch site. What didn't he get at a bourbon site that he expects/hopes to get here? A buyer, I suspect.
And, I'll admit, I'm feeling a little ill-used because I praised him at one of those bourbon sites for his purported interest in actually drinking these bottles instead of selling them. I haven't noted any tasting notes yet.
I've eaten crow before, I can tolerate the taste. I DO hope this guy actually pops the tops and enjoys them! I've had that experience -- I KNOW how evanescent it is! If he does, I will recant.
In the meantime...
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby love2velo » Sat May 04, 2013 8:22 pm

I too have a sealed bottle of S-W Antique Reserve - The numbers on the bottom are
7 55D379660.....can I assume this is a 1955 or would you say 66 or 60?
love2velo

Postby dryeager » Sun May 05, 2013 4:44 am

Sent you a PM.
dryeager

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder