Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

1928 Johnnie Walker Red (Canada-maybe)

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

1928 Johnnie Walker Red (Canada-maybe)

Postby SeanK » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:46 pm

I don't know a whole heck of a lot about the bottle of whiskey that my dad has. I know it is old. It is sealed.

We were out for my 35th birthday today, and he said he wanted to sell it. Well I don't have the slightest clue the best way to sell an old bottle of whiskey. I don't even know if it is legal for me to do so.

From memory he thinks it is either 1926-1928. He thinks it is from Canada (due to some tax seals on it) because that was during prohibition. I am not even sure he knows what he is talking about. :lol:

Any advice? Any idea on possible values? $10? $1000? Any information would be much appreciated. :?
SeanK

Re: 1928 Johnnie Walker Red (Canada-maybe)

Postby SeanK » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:02 am

Ok... went to my dad's house and got the bottle. He had it up in a cupboard for the past 20 years. Guess his memory is off...

It is Johnnie Walker Black Label. Not Red.

Imported into NY by Canada Dry Ginger Ale Corporation. It has a US Internal Revenue sticker across the top of the bottle which maintains some kind of tax number... however, the date stamp portion of the sticker fell off sometime over the years. There is no date on the bottle that I can see. My dad maintains that it was either 1926 or 1928. So I guess I am on a quest to first find out how old this thing is.... oh brother.

I will post some pictures later.
SeanK

Postby SeanK » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:23 am

Oh... label on the bottom says

"By Appointment to the Late King George V."

Which I found one online stating that it is 1936-1938...

So I guess that is the one. Around 400-500 Pounds. Wonder what I can sell it for in the US....

----------------------
Lot 597 Pre-War Black Label Johnnie Walker Black Label, 'By Appointment to the Late King George V', with label bearing the arms of Kilmarnock, with squirrel supporters and the motto 'Gold Berry' which dates it to 1936-38. No strength or capacity stated; stopper cork with lead seal on yellow ribbon to open capsule.
£400-500 Fax Bidding | Online Realtime Bidding | Telephone Realtime Bidding

http://scotchwhisky.com/latest/phillipsauctionlist.html
SeanK

Postby SeanK » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:27 am

Found another auction where it sold for 150 pounds. So I guess the other auction range is quite a bit high.

---------------

Johnnie Walker Black Label-12 year-old-Circa 1940 By Appointment to The Late King George V, John Walker & Sons Ltd., Kilmarnock. Same Quality Throughout The World. Stopper cork, paper seal. Level: 4cm from base of cork 1 bottle

Lot: 479
Hammer: £150.00
View the auction this item sold at
SeanK

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:58 am

Hi Sean as you have found yourself the retail price for an old Johnny Walker and the auction price greatly differ.

As a rule of thumb blends (as this is) do not command much even at this age ... however Johnny Walker is one of the few exceptions and there is a collector market for it. In saying that you really need to be lucky to get a good price at auction.

Your best bet is Ebay and put it up for a 10 day auction to garner as much interest as possible.

These bottles because of their age you should think be worth more but the reality is usually not.

Good luck in your quest....
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby SeanK » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:25 am

Thanks a lot for the advice. I think I will do that.
SeanK

Re: 1936-38 Johnnie Walker Black

Postby SeanK » Sat May 09, 2009 6:42 am

As a follow up, I ended up just buying it off my dad for $240 (USD). He is old and poor. Needed the money. I just didn't want to see him have to part with it, but he is too proud to just take some money from me.

So it stays in the family... maybe for another 40 years. :thumbsup:

Take it easy....
SeanK

Postby lohssanami » Sat May 09, 2009 7:16 am

You're a good man! Nice move to keep it in the family. :thumbsup:
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder