Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Rare Malts Glenlochy

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Rare Malts Glenlochy

Postby starky_69 » Mon May 04, 2009 11:51 pm

Hi

I'm new to this forum. I'm really just stopping by to ask if anyone could please help telling me the value of my bottle of Rare Malts 1969 Glenlochy. 62,2 %.

Thanks for any answers.

I have some photos of it here.

starky_69

Re: Rare Malts Glenlochy

Postby FirewallXL5 » Tue May 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Hi,
See details below from Bonhams Sale 17243, Whisky, 4 Mar 2009, Edinburgh.
Lot 252 Glenlochy-26 year old-1969 £552
This was also a (boxed) Rare malt bottle of Glenlochy albeit the 26yo version, but prices should be same.
Note that the £552 is made up of hammer price (£460) plus 20% (£92) buyers premium which of course Bonhams keep to themselves.
FirewallXL5

Postby starky_69 » Wed May 06, 2009 2:45 pm

Well, I just found out that another numbering of my bottle went for 2242 euros at Whiskyauctions in november 08.
The 62,02%, and the 26 year old ones goes for around 500 euros.
I probably got one of the rearest versions.
starky_69

Postby vitara7 » Thu May 07, 2009 7:06 pm

starky_69 wrote:Well, I just found out that another numbering of my bottle went for 2242 euros at Whiskyauctions in november 08.
The 62,02%, and the 26 year old ones goes for around 500 euros.
I probably got one of the rearest versions.

Using the finishing price for a bottle from one auction result in what is a highly volitile and often a very questionable site for some auction results, isnt a very good way of trying to value a bottle you have and will only built up false hope of an unrealistly and unachevable price for a bottle.

As a specilist in bottles from the rare malts range, dont expect to even get close to that price for the bottle you have, yes its one of the rarer bottles from the rare malts range, but its not one of the single casks from the range. it isn't even the rarest of the 3 versions of glenlochy that formed part of the overall range.

Not trying to put you down or that, just simply wanted to point out that if your basing any sale price you were looking to get based on that one search result then it was better not to get any hopes built up and then dashed.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby starky_69 » Fri May 08, 2009 1:06 pm

Tanx for the info

I just wanted to find out what kind of price I could expect. Most people tells me it's worth around 500 euros. An expert has told me 1000 euros or more. I too find it remarkable that that auction managed to get such a price for the bottle. I'm not refering to that price as to demand the same amount for my bottle. Just information

The only thing I want with this, is to be sure I don't drink something that could be much more valuable to a collector. If it is worth over 1000 euros I would think about selling it. If the price is under 1000 I'll rather drink it myself when I turn 50 in ten years time.
starky_69

Postby FirewallXL5 » Fri May 08, 2009 5:45 pm

I see The Whisky Exchange have a RM (Rare Malt) Glenlochy @ £850. I would apply a 40% discount to TWE prices (as an auction guide).
see http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-2439.aspx

Glenlochy is not a great drinking whisky, it's value derives from the fact there are so few OB versions (none outside of the RM's?) and none of the RM versions was issued in the UK market. There were I believe 4 RM versions, a 25yo duty free and US version and a 26yo duty free and 'B297' version, all 1969 distillations.

The B297 (for South Africa?) version seems to crop up most often, however I would suggest £500 +/- 10% as the best price guide based on auction results I've seen.

The figure listed on whiskyauction is way out of kilter with anything else, I can't recall any RM ever going for anything like that, either it's a mistake (an expensive one for the buyer) or some seller got very lucky with a bidding war.
FirewallXL5

Postby corbuso » Fri May 08, 2009 10:03 pm

starky_69 wrote:Tanx for the info

I just wanted to find out what kind of price I could expect. Most people tells me it's worth around 500 euros. An expert has told me 1000 euros or more. I too find it remarkable that that auction managed to get such a price for the bottle.

I also think that the 500-600 euro mark is the correct range. The most wanted Rare Malt bottling is currently going for 800-900 euros. The Glenlochy you have is a rare bottle, but the whisky is not that particularly good. It would be very difficult to sell that bottle for 1000 euros..
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby p_froes » Sat May 09, 2009 4:08 pm

Also your box is not in mint condition. This also decreases value somewhat.
p_froes

Postby starky_69 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:48 pm

Thanx everybody

I got the information i needed.

Think I'll just keep the bottle, and drink it myself.

Steinar
starky_69

Postby Glenlochy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:14 pm

If you are interested to see the bottlings of GLENLOCHY - please visit
http://www.glenlochy.com

If someone has photos inside the distillery which was closed 1983 or know of other bottlings than listed please use contact information on the web page.
Glenlochy

Postby Bunkermania » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:16 am

You do have one of the toughest Rare Malts so to say that it is worth just 500 euro is to take doen the price alot. It is very rare with a box and the one sold at Whiskyauction last year was the first one ever to be sold at whiskyauction.
You will get more out of selling it on auction than drinking it.
It is a nice whisky just below 90 points in my book, but you can buy a lot of 90+ whiskies for the money you will get if sold at an auction.
Bunkermania

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder