Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Any one has any Idea if this bottle is fake or authenticate?

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Any one has any Idea if this bottle is fake or authenticate?

Postby onefive15 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:27 pm

Hi everyone I come across eBay USA and saw a bottle of Macalan gran reserva 18 yrs 1979. and it only sale for USD275 + free shipping from a seller from Italy! how come is so cheap? do you think is it fake! :roll:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&frommaketrack=true&item=220438063778&viewitem=&sspagename=VIP%3Awatchlink%3Atop%3Aus&salenotsupported

The item #:220438063778

Thank you all.
onefive15

Re: Any one has any Idea if this bottle is fake or authenticate?

Postby corbuso » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:59 pm

Difficult to say, since the resolution is not high enough to see the details.
The box is missing, but the structure of the label and of the cap is correct.
If you would have a high resolution picture of the bottle, it might be of help.

corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby onefive15 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:17 pm

corbuso wrote:Difficult to say, since the resolution is not high enough to see the details.
The box is missing, but the structure of the label and of the cap is correct.
If you would have a high resolution picture of the bottle, it might be of help.

corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com

Thanks Corbuso, I was wondering after you pay for the eBay and Paypal fees and shipping from Italy through UPS, there are only less than USD210 left and this bottle originally sell in store in Taiwan about USD230 already! This does not make sense! :shock:

Jason
onefive15

Postby laph66 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:30 pm

for me is better not buy the reason is the bottles not have a box adn the the bottles is issue not many years ago so is easy to find with box .

and the seller have in auction similar bottles of the sellers (bad sellers) that you can find list on whiskyfun or facebook in whisky lovers united

laph66
laph66

Postby lohssanami » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:43 pm

If something is cheap, there is usually a reason. There was recently an empty bottle of Mac 18 Gran Reserva sold on ebay so you never know.

My rule of thumb is if nobody else is bidding, and it is way below market value, and it comes from a "market" with multiple questionable sellers, then buyer beware.

Just a thought, and remember, I'm not saying all Italian ebayers are questionable, but if the price is too good to believe, then do your research as laph66 points out. Check who they have bought and sold to and from, and who leaves feedback.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby desouza » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:56 am

[quote="onefive15"]Hi everyone I come across eBay USA and saw a bottle of Macalan gran reserva 18 yrs 1979. and it only sale for USD275 + free shipping from a seller from Italy! how come is so cheap? do you think is it fake! :roll:
[url]

My observation, looking at the bottle,is that it is much smaller than the standard 750 ml we get here in the US.
I don't know that this particular bottle is a fake, but a few years ago there was a major scandal from the purchase of a vertical collection of Macallan from Italy where there were several fakes.
Obviously,gather as much information as you can before making a decision.
desouza

Postby wolpertinger » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:38 am

desouza wrote:My observation, looking at the bottle,is that it is much smaller than the standard 750 ml we get here in the US.

We in Europe usually only get 700ml bottles - good for you in the US with 2 drams more per bottle :thumbsup:

This bottle does not have a back label - I have never before seen a Mac Gran Reserva 79 without a back label.
wolpertinger

Postby laph66 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:23 pm

HI i check around and i think this is not a good seller i think is the same of others bad nick name :

in italy there are 3 fakers are the same for about 50 different nick name .

but i want also say that in italy there re 90% of old bottles in the world so not think that all italina seller are bad

thanks
laph
laph66

Postby onefive15 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:22 pm

Thank you all. you are the best. I wouldn't buy it either! but I checked ebay today some one else really bought it! :o don't know if the one who bought it know what he or she is doing?
onefive15

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:14 pm

wolpertinger wrote:
desouza wrote:My observation, looking at the bottle,is that it is much smaller than the standard 750 ml we get here in the US.

We in Europe usually only get 700ml bottles - good for you in the US with 2 drams more per bottle :thumbsup:

This bottle does not have a back label - I have never before seen a Mac Gran Reserva 79 without a back label.

mythoughts exactly - im pretty sure my 1979 has a back label

ash .
Deactivated Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder