Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How much do whiskies increase by when production stops?

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

How much do whiskies increase by when production stops?

Postby whiskyshisky » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi to everyone, this is my first post.

Last week I had ordered one bottle of Balvenie 10 year old from Capital Drinks and it was only £32.99. Now I wanted to buy a second bottle but the price has gone up-to £49.99. So I was just wondering what a whiskies price might go up by when it goes out of production? Do you see the price of say the Balvenie going up even higher than £49.99 and also I take it that this is now a collectors item?

They also have the old Glenlivet 21 year old archive in a blue bottle presentation which has also been stopped in production, is this also worth looking at as a collectors item and will it be worth more in the future?

Hope this was posted in the right section.

Many Thanks

WS
whiskyshisky

Re: How much do whiskies increase by when production stops?

Postby AspiringGent » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:33 am

If your goal is to buy them as collector's items (in terms of increasing value), then I would stick to distilleries that have been closed, rather than individual bottlings. While an old bottling of Glenfiddich might be discontinued 10 years ago, because there continue to be many different bottlings of Glenfiddich in the future, it won't appreciate half as much as a distillery which closed 10 years ago. Unfortunately (or fortunately, I suppose) we're not currently in an era of closing distilleries.
AspiringGent

Postby Caledonia » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:50 am

AspiringGent wrote:If your goal is to buy them as collector's items (in terms of increasing value), then I would stick to distilleries that have been closed, rather than individual bottlings. While an old bottling of Glenfiddich might be discontinued 10 years ago, because there continue to be many different bottlings of Glenfiddich in the future, it won't appreciate half as much as a distillery which closed 10 years ago. Unfortunately (or fortunately, I suppose) we're not currently in an era of closing distilleries.

I dont know about that , Edrington Group reducing production, Diageo reducing production...Springbank closure for 4-5months last year..... what might come next????
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby whiskyshisky » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:03 am

So are you guys saying that the Balvenie 10 Year Old is not a collectors item and will not increase in price since it is no longer made?
whiskyshisky

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:42 am

Hmm.Not sure a distillery has to close to make bottles increase in value.

I bought a bottle of the (now discontinued) Ardbeg 17 about 3 years ago. Can't have been more than £40. I drank it.I thought it wan't as good as the 10.

Dammit I shoulda kept it! Such a bottle is now worth about £150 I believe...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:31 pm

It usually takes a while for the individual bottles to go up in price. Go out to TWE and look for the old bottling of Balvenie 12. As I recall this is a bottling from the 1980s or early 1990s. I could still purchase this in the late 1990s in the $30-35 range.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Caledonia » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:36 pm

bearing in mind these shops all put a minimum of 20-30% mark up onto their products for there own profit.

Auctions are a more likely estimate!
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder