Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glen Mhor 1969 and 25 year old

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Glen Mhor 1969 and 25 year old

Postby Whiskytaster » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:41 pm

I am trying to find out about this bottle (and its sister bottling, 25 YO).

Glen Mhor 1969 Limited Release, in wooden box.

It states on the bottle, "Distilled and Bottled in scotland under HM Customs & Excise supervision by CAMPBELL & CLARK LIMITED"

Who are Campbell & Clark, and why does it say they distilled it when I cannot find any records about them owning the distillery.

Any light that could be thrown on this, would be appreciated.

example here...
http://www.parkerswhisky.co.uk/glen-mho ... 309a0ae614
Whiskytaster
Bronze Member

Re: Glen Mhor 1969 and 25 year old

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:40 am

I'm guessing that Campbell & Clark were only the bottler. It's not unusual to see that kind of claim from a bottling company.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby richard » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:14 pm

the two bottles you are talking about were bottled for a chain off
off licenses

these being the unwins chain

the 1969 oak bottle wasnt very good as far as i am concerned the 25 sherry oak was the better of the two they retailed for about £35.00 when they first come out thats all i can remeber

richard :)
richard
Silver Member

Postby Whiskytaster » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:24 pm

Who are Clark & Campbell ?

Any ideas...
Whiskytaster
Bronze Member

Postby John Barleycorn » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:35 am

Whiskytaster wrote:Who are Clark & Campbell ?

Campbell and Clark were/are blenders and exporters based in Glasgow. Started in 1934, they were a subsidiary of Train and McIntyre Ltd; who were associated with Joseph Hobbs; he had a very colourful history during the years of American prohibition, running whisky for Teacher's aboard his ship 'Littlehorn'. He was also an agent for Distillers Company Limited (DCL) in Canada. Hobbs returned to Scotland in 1931. He acquired and ran a number of distilleries in association with National Distillers of America though Train and McIntyre. Included in these distilleries was Glenlochy in Fort William, which was bought by Train and McIntyre in 1937 and transferred in 1938 to another subsidiary, Associated Scottish Distilleries. In 1953 DCL bought Train and McIntyre and their assets including Campbell and Clark and the company became defunct

However, in 1970 Campbell and Clark were reconstructed with American interests in the form of Sazerac Co. Inc. of New Orleans. The operation was fairly modest, purchasing new make whisky from a variety of Scottish distilleries and maturing it in their own warehouses before blending, bottling and/or exporting mainly to the US.

As far as I know the company is no longer trading and never had any connections with Glen Mhor.

Cheers John
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Postby FirewallXL5 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:06 pm

According to "Whisky Treasury" Campbell and Clark were a subsidiary of Speyside Distillery Coy at the time of this bottling, which would tie in with the Rutherglen address.

They are listed as a broker/ exporter with unknown (to me) brands like Murdoch's Perfection and Old Monarch.

I would *guess* that this bottling pre-dated their use of the "Scott's Selection" brand for featured bottlings from other distilleries because I can't recall seeing the name used since. The retro presentation was nice though.
FirewallXL5

Postby John Barleycorn » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:28 pm

FirewallXL5 wrote:According to "Whisky Treasury" Campbell and Clark were a subsidiary of Speyside Distillery Coy at the time of this bottling, which would tie in with the Rutherglen address.

Many thanks for the information. A few of my whisky reference books would seem to be a wee bitty out dated, good at the time but I suppose things have moved on! I will have to order a copy of 'Whisky Treasury', see if Amazon has a copy. :thumbsup:

Cheers John
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder