Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Antiquery (sp?) anyone have any info?

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Antiquery (sp?) anyone have any info?

Postby hearts151 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:54 pm

A Regular in the pub I work in was telling me he has 4 bottles of it that he got 25 years ago and they are 20-30 years old making the oldest distilled in the 1950s!
A quick google seemed to suggest it is a liquer? Does anyone else have any information about this whisky and what it's worth might be (said i'd find out for him)

Thanks
Ryan
hearts151

Re: Antiquery (sp?) anyone have any info?

Postby Ganga » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:17 am

Here is some information on a particular bottling of Antiquary. http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/a ... ky327.html You could try to do a google search on the specific ones that you are asking about.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Onefortheditch » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:58 am

The Antiquary is made by the Tomatin Distillery and can be bought in 8YO, 12YO, 21YO and 1977 expressions. It is a blend I like very much and I have a bottle open just now. :thumbsup:
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby FirewallXL5 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:21 pm

hearts151 wrote:A Regular in the pub I work in was telling me he has 4 bottles of it that he got 25 years ago and they are 20-30 years old making the oldest distilled in the 1950s!
A quick google seemed to suggest it is a liquer?

Not a liqueur but a respectable de-luxe blend in a nice diamond shaped bottle.

If your pub regular friend got them 25 years ago then they predate the Tomatin/Japanese connection as the brand was only sold off by Utd Distilllers in 1995. Prior to that it was a DCL (Distillers Coy.) brand which goes way back. (I had an empty bottle at one time which I meant to convert into a table lamp but never did!)

J&W Hardie (named on the label) were licensees of BenRomach distillery and a subsidiary of Wm sanderson (VAT69). The DCL structure was complicated. In those days I don't think the whisky ever carried an age statement so it's unlikely to be much more than 8 years old. In the 1980's it was revamped & acquired a 12yo age statement.

Unlikely to have great collector value I'd have thought....
FirewallXL5

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder