Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

new collector seeks rare whiskies

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

new collector seeks rare whiskies

Postby adrianlit » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:23 pm

just started to collect rare whiskies,im seeking rare bowmores,macallans and ardbegs,anyone got anything of interest please send me mail,im not a dealer or a collector who has a endless pocket not looking for the low end bottles eg £50 ones,im after the ones what will be worth a lot in the future so limited editions etc thank you
adrianlit

Re: new collector seeks rare whiskies

Postby jammydoger » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:59 pm

I have some good whisky, so let me know if your in the market.

First and second edition macallan lalique. Both are mint condition and in the origional boxes.

I have some other whisky, but cant quite remember what they are, but not in the same league as those two.

Cheers, J D
jammydoger

Postby adrianlit » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:04 am

i see the prices they are way outside my league i did say i have a very limited funds good luck in selling them at this moment in time
adrianlit

Postby barry167 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:47 pm

adrianlit wrote:just started to collect rare whiskies,im seeking rare bowmores,macallans and ardbegs,anyone got anything of interest please send me mail,im not a dealer or a collector who has a endless pocket not looking for the low end bottles eg £50 ones,im after the ones what will be worth a lot in the future so limited editions etc thank you

i have a glen morangie 1963 oloroso finish
barrytait1@yahoo.co.uk
barry167

Postby kywhiskey » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:25 am

Is the first poster nuts? I also want something that will be worth a lot of money in the future but want to buy it cheaply. Who doesn't??
kywhiskey

Postby whiteshirt » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:19 am

kywhiskey wrote:Is the first poster nuts? I also want something that will be worth a lot of money in the future but want to buy it cheaply. Who doesn't??

My advice, is do what we all do, read the forums, the whisky magazine, surf the net. We all have to do that to buy cheaply to either drink or collect! THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS
whiteshirt
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:52 am

whiteshirt wrote:
kywhiskey wrote:Is the first poster nuts? I also want something that will be worth a lot of money in the future but want to buy it cheaply. Who doesn't??

My advice, is do what we all do, read the forums, the whisky magazine, surf the net. We all have to do that to buy cheaply to either drink or collect! THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS

I thought it was quite funny Jammy Dodger offering Macallan Lalique for sale when Kywhiskey said he has a budget of £50 a bottle. :lol:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby hearts151 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:00 am

les taylor wrote:
whiteshirt wrote:

I thought it was quite funny Jammy Dodger offering Macallan Lalique for sale when Kywhiskey said he has a budget of £50 a bottle. :lol:

I couldn't work that out, as his message said he didn't have endless pockets but then said NOT looking for low end, eg £50. Did confuse me a bit to what range he was actually looking for lol
hearts151

Postby peat-chaser » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:07 am

How ever, the whisky-world was waiting for him.
But now everything will turn positiv, he has arrived!!

:P :P :P
peat-chaser
Bronze Member

Postby Whiskytaster » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:29 am

I think adrianlit (the first poster) believes that £50 is not low end in the collecting whisky world.

hmmm

Just a note for him,

Of course, there are some bottles which can be picked up for £50, and will appreciate significantly.

However..... it is very difficult to know which ones they are in advance, as it is often a particular combination of special interest, rarity in a particular market, quality of whisky as a drink and random luck.....

Suggest you look at closed distilleries as your safest bet. anyone else agree?
Whiskytaster
Bronze Member

Postby sinclair » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:53 pm

Definately.Look in small wine merchants and corner shops on your travels as they often have old stocks on there shelves at original prices.I recently picked up 2 bottles of G+M Inverleven 1984 bottled in 1996 for £23 each tucked away on a shelf in a wine shop. Now i wont be able to retire on the proceeds but they are worth more than that and Inverleven has been demolished.I have a little piece of history.I've also picked up some Rosebanks,Glen Mhors and Littlemills at good prices.The fun is in the searching and who knows that bottle of Black Bowmore may just be around the corner.
sinclair
Bronze Member

Postby barry167 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:25 pm

1963 morangie oloroso finish 1,000 euros
barrytait1@yahoo.co.uk
barry167

Postby barry167 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:27 pm

aberlour 1964 400 euros
highland park 1967 400 euros
barytait1@yahoo.co.uk
barry167

Postby adrianlit » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:25 pm

most people have miss understood me im not looking for £50 bottles of whisky nor am i looking at £8000+ bottles im looking at the mid to high end where they will be more collectable and profitale in say 10 years time,i bought a macallan 1955 40y.o the other week for £4565 ,got a few macallan seasonals and the woodland,ive got some highland parks,a few bowmores,im looking at bottles around £250-£1000/£1500 ish ive got £10k left as the macallan took a lot of my budget as i said i not a dealer or have a bottomless pocket not really into the distilleries what have closed as a few people have IM ed me to say go for the high end bowmores,macallans,ardbegs anyone have those IM me you know my budgets and limits per bottle
adrianlit

Postby Whiskytaster » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:45 am

Adrianlit

You may find more people understand your postings if you use proper English sentences. Try using a full stop occasionally, you may get better results.
Whiskytaster
Bronze Member

Postby Bloody Marvellous » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:27 am

I take it you're buying whiskies as an investment.

In that case I wouldn't go for the really expensive stuff. That Macallan 40 isn't likely to increase in price much anymore. That one's pretty much hit it's ceiling.

If you want to make a buck off of rare whiskies, I'd suggest looking for limited releases by major distilleries when they are just on the market. They usually sell for around $70-$120 and you'd probably see a return of +300% in 3 years after they have sold out.

Try looking also for Lagavulin, Talisker, and Brora.
Bloody Marvellous

Postby peat-chaser » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:18 pm

Why don´t you let im play his game to his likings?
There are alrady more than enough vultures grabbing all limited bottlings and reselling them shortly after the´ve sold out.

We don´t need more .....

:roll:
peat-chaser
Bronze Member

Postby adrianlit » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:32 pm

whiskytaster there is NO NEED to be insulting !!!! this is meant to be a friendly forum,and peat chaser,im not a vulture im not buying them to sell in hmm 3 years time im looking 10 years plus on some but ive had paintings for 20 odd years as im sure a lot will say on here you get attached to ur item ,im like that infact ive bought a cask of arran whisky which i shall be holding for another 8 years until its 21 years old then i shall keep some in the cask until its 25 years so im not in this for a quick fast buck,if i wanted make quick money i would buy stuff from china and sell it on ebay im in this for the long term
adrianlit

Postby richard » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:08 pm

hi adrianlift the whisky taster has not been rude to you infact the opposite you have been rude to him he is only pointing out the facts

i was told the same myself better grammar and i wasnt rude about it so dont get upset relax and go with the flow dont get personnel people will try and help you on this forum it is friendly forum as you said

peat chaser was only saying what many others were thinking do some homework your self dont expect others to do the work for you

there are also many hoovers and leeches on manys sites ebay and some whisky shops that are taking the mickey as well as individuals so dont get offended if we think you are one off them

sit back and think before you shhoot off :)

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Bloody Marvellous » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:25 pm

Dear Richard,

It would be nice if you used the occasional interpunction yourself :D :iwbrnt:
Bloody Marvellous

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:52 pm

bloody marvellous idea bloody marvellous but its saturday night and whats wrong witha bittof freestyling how long can i make this sentence without putting a bug up somebodys loch doo when we just haffing a bitofun and what does it matter anyway just pour a next dram of abundah batch 15 and all shall be revealed...

By the way, Adrianlit, with all due respect, I have, unopened, a Macallan ESC5 50cl, 59.2%, from Oloroso cask number 552, in a tube with an unbroken blue seal.

How does that grab you? :smoke:
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Whiskytaster » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:49 am

adrianlit

My comment was not insulting, merely pointing out a fact. According to you, many people had misunderstood your posting. I was simply giving you feedback, so that you could be better understod in the future.

If you choose to continue writing in a way that few people have the patience to try and decypher, that is up to you. At least this way, you know you have an option.

It's only feedback. What you do with it is up to you !!
Whiskytaster
Bronze Member

Postby richard » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:37 am

hi bloody marvelous as i dont know what a interpunction is itwould be helpful if you explained it to me

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby wolpertinger » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:13 am

richard wrote:hi bloody marvelous as i dont know what a interpunction is itwould be helpful if you explained it to me

richard

he means punctuation
wolpertinger

Postby richard » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:35 am

thank you very much wolpertinger

i must admit my grammar and punctuation isnt that that good but i will try harder next time

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby peat-chaser » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:20 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:P
peat-chaser
Bronze Member

Postby whiteshirt » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:34 pm

Eye came top off my speling test at sckool. :o :smoke:
whiteshirt
Bronze Member

Postby Iain » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:49 pm

I got an interpunction repair kit with my bicycle, if that's of any use to anyone.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:58 am

I fear Adrian may have gone off in search of one.

Please excuse this interpunction but I hope he didn't feel put upon or unwelcome by our feedback/insults!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby adrianlit » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:01 pm

i AM doing my research online all the time usually spending several hours a day,im going on all the forums and checking e bay,the online whisky shops for prices etc,as im sure everyone else on here does the same,by checking prices to get the best deal as some of you have said you dont want to get ripped off by the dealers,im on here to get advice and help off other collectors who have the expertise in buying and trading whiskies,thats why im here to get help off you all.we all have to learn from knowing nothing from the start ! i am relaxed and hey i may only have a poor working class back ground we all didnt get degree`s so give me a break thanks,im here to learn and buy whiskies from fellow collectors thats all,if any of you have any whiskies for sale PM me please
adrianlit

Postby peat-chaser » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:56 pm

Why don´t you get it?

Nobody needs new investors without any addiction to our passion.
I´m sure as a friendly new member, preferably after a nice self-introduction and showing real interest to the theme, you´d be perfectly welcome to everybody in the forums.
But in the manner of a rotten child "imnewsotellmewhattobuytomakemoney" I fear the opposit will be the case.

So, come on, think first and post then.

:wink:
peat-chaser
Bronze Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:18 pm

Ge
adrianlit wrote:i AM doing my research online all the time usually spending several hours a day,im going on all the forums and checking e bay,the online whisky shops for prices etc,as im sure everyone else on here does the same,by checking prices to get the best deal as some of you have said you dont want to get ripped off by the dealers,im on here to get advice and help off other collectors who have the expertise in buying and trading whiskies,thats why im here to get help off you all.we all have to learn from knowing nothing from the start ! i am relaxed and hey i may only have a poor working class back ground we all didnt get degree`s so give me a break thanks,im here to learn and buy whiskies from fellow collectors thats all,if any of you have any whiskies for sale PM me please

The fun is in the chase for the bottle.
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:22 pm

Hi Adrianlit

Welcome to the forum. I think buying for investment is a bit of guesswork, really. If anything is a certainty, it is snapped up very fast.

I think it's been said before, but the ones that really go up can be relatively inexpensive initially and good quality. People drink them, so there's not too many left a few years down the line.

Also, there are so many special editions around now that I'd wonder if they're going to go up that much in the future. Most of the single malt whisky on the market at the moment seems to be special editions!

Closed distilleries might be the best bet. Or discontinued bottlings. Port Ellens, Rosebanks... And distillery bottlings are best.

There's someone on the forum in America selling a Laphroaig 30 for a good price. Ardbeg 1977s can still be picked up for okay prices - same goes for Highland Park 1977.

I'm no expert, of course, but I hope this helps.

John
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:30 am

I have to agree with some who have questioned your purchases and methods.

Don't get fooled by high status bottles being high return investments no matter how long you hold on to them. They are basically rich mens trinkets rather than investments. Any investment should be measured against current econimic percentages.

A bit of basic sums on investing should tell you what you should be aiming for.

Take a bog standard 5% gain every year, after 10years that would amass to a 62% gross ontop of initial investment. Therefore your £4565 Macallan needs to sell for minimum £7395 to keep up with these poor and standard returns. However currently you can get 7.5% for your cash in a bank so you need to be selling your macallan for £9400 in 10 years. However if your looking for fund type returns your talking about an average of 10% return every year. SO your Macallan needs to return at about £11800.

Then take a look at some of the recent past super bottles.

Take the Ardbeg 1965 bottled in 2005. This originally retailed at between £2000-2400 but as far as I know has never attained that price at auction or by private sale.

The Macallan Lalique retailed at $6-7000 in 2006 in the US and I've seen a few sell or even not sell at the $5000 mark.

These have actually lost serious money in real terms and have turned out to be foolish investments.

Spending large amount on a single bottle in relativity is increasing your chances of greater losses and these super bottles if they do appreciate will do so very slowly. Anybody saying other wise is trying to sell you a bottle.

However if you buy 24 x £100 limited edition and sought after bottles these could easily tripple in value in 5 years.

However like everything in life not guarenteed. We're still in a world recession and Whisky is not immune no matter what the optimists say.

We were told last year we'd get our first £100,000 bottle in Auction this year ... luckily I did not hold my breath.

If you ask me your money is better off in the bank rather than buying madly expensive bottles in the thousands.
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby sku » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:59 am

Aidan wrote:Also, there are so many special editions around now that I'd wonder if they're going to go up that much in the future. Most of the single malt whisky on the market at the moment seems to be special editions!

So true, reminds me of an old Simpsons episode in which the comic store guy was showing Bart a particular comic and said that each issue was labeled #1 so that they would be more valuable.
sku
Bronze Member

Next

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder