Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

new collector seeks rare whiskies

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Re: new collector seeks rare whiskies

Postby r900p » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:51 am

Adrian,

Buying bottles on the secondary market, could mean your buying bottles at the peak of their value and may not necessarily continue to rise. It may be just worth watching out for new releases, returns could be higher that way. Plus there is less risk, buying a bottle at release price of £50 means you only have that to loose. If you buy the bottles that IWC has described you have far more to loose.

As others are saying get out there and rummage in old corner shops.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby adrianlit » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:55 pm

thank you irishwhiskytaster for your honest advice,i can see your point on buying lots of £100 limited edition bottles when they are still for sale from the distillieries etc,the reason i got into this was my bank (ing direct)who gave the best rate of interest 9 months ago 5.6% now give just over 2% i was making £15 a month !!so thought put it in whisky surely i would get better returns over the long run,i have taken note of your advice many thanks
adrianlit

Postby Dan1 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:45 pm

Hi All,

Some interesting comments here. I'd like to be a collector but the temptation to sample.....

I have kept a bottle that was give as a gift though. It is a bottle of Special Old Liquer "Old Bushmills" 70% Proof.

i Spoke to Bushills and without seeing it they suggested it was circa 1938 or before. Their records were destroyed in Belfast Blitz in 1943. I was surprised their records were kept in Belfast rather than in Bushmills.

Anyway, has anyone any ide if there is some value in this bottle?

Any responses greatly appreciated.

Daniel
Dan1

Postby adogranonthepitch » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:21 am

Using a photo hosting website take 3 or 4 photos. One shot of the whole thing then some close up shots. Without pics it's hard to value.
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:05 am

Dan1 wrote:Hi All,

Some interesting comments here. I'd like to be a collector but the temptation to sample.....

I have kept a bottle that was give as a gift though. It is a bottle of Special Old Liquer "Old Bushmills" 70% Proof.

i Spoke to Bushills and without seeing it they suggested it was circa 1938 or before. Their records were destroyed in Belfast Blitz in 1943. I was surprised their records were kept in Belfast rather than in Bushmills.

Anyway, has anyone any ide if there is some value in this bottle?

Any responses greatly appreciated.

Daniel

Hi Dan, Yes we'd need a photo to be sure but I doubt it will be worth that much.

Does it look like any of these, the first one being a black bush but gives you an idea of the label with special old liqueur on it. The others are 2 versions of the old Bushmills blend.

Realistic values wold be €50-75 for first 2 labels €75-100 for the older cream label. If cream label has a cork €100-125 and if it has an impressed bottle with Old Bushmills and 1784 €125-150

BlackbushOldLiqueur.jpg
BushmillOldReg.jpg
Bush9yoGold.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby russellgray » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:42 pm

Hi I have a bottle of Macallan 30yo, matured in sherry cask. In original box. Are you interested?
russellgray

Postby maltsofscotlanduk » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:47 pm

21 Year old Springbank. With engraved wooden box and certificate. Very rare. www.maltsofscotlanduk.com/premium
maltsofscotlanduk

Postby EstateBuyers » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:27 pm

I have about 2000-3000 whiskers and cognacs that I have been buying in Estates in New York..... If youre interested call me or email me .... Antiquebuyers@yahoo.com 1-(516)-974-6528
EstateBuyers

Previous

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder