Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

I have this old jug of Michter's Pot Still Whiskey

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

I have this old jug of Michter's Pot Still Whiskey

Postby dwayne33 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:25 am

My grandfather picked it up before he went of to war. I have had it for sometime but can not even find a picture of the jug on line. It is full and has half of the paper seal on it. It also has a # 153 on the bottom what ever that is. Is there any links that anyone knows that has information on the Michters products?
Last edited by dwayne33 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwayne33

Re: I have this old jug of Mitcher's Pot Still Whiskey

Postby oldrip57 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:49 am

dwayne33 wrote:My grandfather picked it up before he went of to war. I have had it for sometime but can not even find a picture of the jug on line. It is full and has half of the paper seal on it. It also has a # 153 on the bottom what ever that is. Is there any links that anyone knows that has information on the Mitchers products?

First of all, the spelling is 'Michter's'. What war? The ceramic decanters date from the late-'60s-'80s, so I assume Vietnam.
Ceramic was about the worst container ever used. Some remain excellent, some are throw-way. You just don't know till you crack the seal and taste. I've had some of each.
The decanters are more collectible than the whiskey, which is very fine if not tainted. Expect $30 or so for a 750ml decanter of a rarer variety.
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby dwayne33 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:46 pm

The war would be WW2.
dwayne33

Postby oldrip57 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:29 am

dwayne33 wrote:The war would be WW2.

Sorry, but while the distillery once know as Bomberger's dates back to the 1750s, Michter's as a brand didn't appear till the '50s, when Charles "Everett" Beam became the master distiller. And ceramic decanters, as I noted previously, didn't become popular till the late-'60s, when a sales decline in American whiskey caused distilleries to seek other avenues -- e.g., the containers -- for promoting their whiskey.
The distillery closed in 1980 and is now a ruin.
Try looking here:
http://www.kovels.com/cgi-bin/texis/scripts/kovels-search/search.html
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder