Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Collecting whiskies I dare not open

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Re: Collecting whiskies I dare not open

Postby plainly jane » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:02 pm

For my part, I never buy for collecting what I am not expecting to enjoy if opened. So far, very few disappointments.

If you are not going to sell them (or give them away to the very welcoming and thankful hands of forum members) and you get tired of looking at them for their aesthetic value, then opening them is your only other choice. When opening them, pick the bottle according to a special occasion whether that be an event or with a special friend. I find that how the bottle was shared creates a great memory that persists long after the whisky is gone.

Now, after saying that, however, I do have some reluctance in finishing a bottle that I will probably never taste again. Reluctance always, in the end, gives way to enjoyment.

Truly, just do what you want with the bottles, whatever that is.

pj
plainly jane
Bronze Member

Postby Leorin » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:15 pm

I think PJ is right.
If you look at it from a logical point of view, you have the following options:

--> you drink the bottles eventually (rather sooner that later, you never know what happens...)

--> sell or swap the bottles or give them away as presents (don't forget the one who gives you this good advise if you should decide for the last option :P )

--> die before you opened the bottles or gave them away. I'm sure you heirs 'll raise their glases on you.
Leorin
Bronze Member

Postby whsmc » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:26 pm

Let me put it this way. If a bus load of super models turn up at my house looking for a shag I won't stick them in a cupboard.
whsmc

Postby John Barleycorn » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:10 pm

whsmc wrote:Let me put it this way. If a bus load of super models turn up at my house looking for a shag I won't stick them in a cupboard.

It depends if you're in the cupboard with them. :D

Cheers John
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Previous

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder