Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Singleton of Auchroisk

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

The Singleton of Auchroisk

Postby Alex S » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:23 am

Today I stumbled upon a stock of dusty of The Singleton of Auchroisk 10 on the bottom shelf of the local liquor store for $51. Only two out of 6 bottles were in somewhat damaged boxes. Most bottles were distilled in 1987 and one in 1985. The 1985 one had somewhat damaged label.

I have a couple of questions. First, the "sub-label" that lists vintage states that it was distilled in 1987 and bottled 1999, but the scotch is 10 years old. The bottle that was distilled in 1885 was bottled in 1999. The label also states that the bottle was imported by Better Beverage Importers New Castle Delaware. Is this simply a typo?

After researching this scotch on the internet, it appears that several dealers are asking for some high $ for this one. Does it only apply to certain vintages, or should I buy up the rest of the stock on hand?

Thanks,

Alex
Alex S

Re: The Singleton of Auchroisk

Postby corbuso » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:41 pm

Alex S wrote:Today I stumbled upon a stock of dusty of The Singleton of Auchroisk 10 on the bottom shelf of the local liquor store for $51. Only two out of 6 bottles were in somewhat damaged boxes. Most bottles were distilled in 1987 and one in 1985. The 1985 one had somewhat damaged label.

I have a couple of questions. First, the "sub-label" that lists vintage states that it was distilled in 1987 and bottled 1999, but the scotch is 10 years old. The bottle that was distilled in 1885 was bottled in 1999. The label also states that the bottle was imported by Better Beverage Importers New Castle Delaware. Is this simply a typo?

After researching this scotch on the internet, it appears that several dealers are asking for some high $ for this one. Does it only apply to certain vintages, or should I buy up the rest of the stock on hand?

Thanks,

Alex

$51 is indeed very cheap for the Singleton. Vintages worth more than the non-vintage, but the Singleton of Auchroisk were the first whiskies bottled by the distillers. I would say that Singleton is not so sought after but worth at least $100 a bottle.

http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:02 pm

I may have to go purchase the Auchroisk 1985 if it is selling for $100. This one used to sell at Trader Joe's for $25 or less. I know where some are located for less than $51.

Does anyone have opinions on the quality? My recollection was very mediocre.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Alex S » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:25 pm

Consensus from different reviews I read is that it is mediocre: 72-75/100 on the average.
Alex S

Postby Iain » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:27 pm

Alex S wrote:Consensus from different reviews I read is that it is mediocre: 72-75/100 on the average.

I remember it as a very decent "malt of the month" in many Scottish bars for a year or two.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:24 pm

and according to locals, it used to be considerably better than the Fauna and Flora version. I haven't opened yet my bottle.
corbuso
Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder