Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Unknown Glenlivet

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Unknown Glenlivet

Postby mikeyfelley » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:05 pm

hi could anyone give me any information regarding this bottle of glenlivet it has been in my family for 20-30 years. this is the first time i have seen the bottle as i have just broken the seal on the box. I have emailed glenlivet themselves but to date thay have no information. i would be very grateful for any info regarding history, price or anything really. thanks for looking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mikeyfelley

Re: Unknown Glenlivet

Postby richard » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:15 pm

why dont you contact the glenlivet distillery
it may be your best bet if somebody on this forum knows they will tell

you as you have provided photos which makes it easier

i cant say i have ever seen one myself
soi cant help you

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Iain » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:02 pm

mikeyfelley wrote:hi could anyone give me any information regarding this bottle of glenlivet it has been in my family for 20-30 years. this is the first time i have seen the bottle as i have just broken the seal on the box. I have emailed glenlivet themselves but to date thay have no information. i would be very grateful for any info regarding history, price or anything really. thanks for looking.

This is odd. It says on the label "Distilled in Scotland by Glenlivet". There is no distiller or company in Scotland called "Glenlivet".
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:09 pm

Iain,
I see that you are from Scotland but, are you sure because I found information on website saying there is a Glenlivet Distillery that is owned by Pernod Ricard. Is that website incorrect? I will PM you the info if you wold like. i just don't like to post links from other sites.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Iain » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:23 pm

scotchdrinker wrote:Iain,
I see that you are from Scotland but, are you sure because I found information on website saying there is a Glenlivet Distillery that is owned by Pernod Ricard. Is that website incorrect? I will PM you the info if you wold like. i just don't like to post links from other sites.

The Glenlivet Distillery was owned by G&JG Smith. That's now a subsidiary of Pernod Ricard. There is not (and never has been) a company called "Glenlivet" so far as I know - if anyone knows better, they're sure to correct me!
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby wolpertinger » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:49 pm

another thing that's odd is the size of the bottle. AFAIK 20 years ago 0.7l bottlings never happened. It was always 0.75. I think it was in 91 or 92 when that changed to 0.7 in Europe
wolpertinger

Postby John Barleycorn » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:37 am

'The Glenlivet' was not used until after 1859 (the malt whisky Yearbook 2009 - P136) or 1880 (The Whisky Treasury - P136), take your pick, when the Smith's claimed the right to use the definite article in its product name. This situation came about as a result of other distilleries cashing in on Glenlivet's fame and using the name 'Glenlivet' as a suffix in their own product names i.e. Aberlour-Glenlivet, Glenrothes-Glenlivet, Macallan-Glenlivet, to name a few. This use of the suffix continued right up to the 1970's and to this day, the official name for the Aberlour distillery is still 'Aberlour-Glenlivet'. Prior to this 'The Glenlivet' was just known as 'Glenlivet'. Hope I'm not being too pedantic, but.......

Anyway I don't think this bottle dates back as far as that and I could not find any reference to 'City of Edinburgh Malt' in any of my books. It could be a vatted malt to mark an event! Or it's a fake. Is there any more information on the packaging? Could you post photos of the box showing the seal?

Cheers John
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Postby DukeofSandwich » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:47 am

There are many companies that will custom label a single malt, I suspect that this is the case here. You can't fake something that was never real. I would contact the City of Edinburgh and see if they had bottles labeled for some event.
DukeofSandwich

Postby Iain » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:44 am

The thistle on the label looks a bit like the thistle that appeared on The Glenlivet labels in The Glenlivet Distillers era. But I've never seen it printed in green. And again - of all the different companies that have bottled The Glenlivet over the years, none was called simply "Glenlivet".

This looks to me like it might have been specially bottled for one (or more?) of Edinburgh's tourist shops. If it had been bottled for the City Council, I think there would be some info to that effect on the label.

Again, I don't know the answer and I'll bow to anyone with expert knowledge. Might be worth asking the folks at Royal Mile Whiskies?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby wolpertinger » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:35 am

DukeofSandwich wrote: You can't fake something that was never real.

Interesting - if I follow that.. then Hitler's diary wasn't a fake :D

IMHO this bottle is a private bottling with a custom designed label bottled somewhen after 1992. I would be surprised if the distillery would know anything about it.
wolpertinger

Postby richard » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:06 pm

i think iain and duke of sandwich have some of the best ideas i would still ask glenlivet they can only say there not interested or they might be helpful

it looks like an independants bottle ??

you may also noticed it doesnt say single malt so could be a vatting of casks ?? maybe

seems fairly modern could be somebodys own cask which will be diffacult to trace

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby corbuso » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:02 pm

mikeyfelley wrote:hi could anyone give me any information regarding this bottle of glenlivet it has been in my family for 20-30 years. this is the first time i have seen the bottle as i have just broken the seal on the box. I have emailed glenlivet themselves but to date thay have no information. i would be very grateful for any info regarding history, price or anything really. thanks for looking.

As mentioned by some of them, this is not an official bottling from the Glenivet Distillery, therefore, they will probably not able to give you some information.
Since it is a 70cl bottled at 40%, the bottle younger than 20-30 years. It might be close to 20 years, but not older.

Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder