Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Collector's Corner?

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Collector's Corner?

Postby Ganga » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:47 pm

It seems that since the removal of the forum for buying and selling that the function of the Collector's Corner has been usurped for selling off whisky.

I personally have nothing against the buying, trading of whisky and paraphernalia but the function of this forum seems to have been lost. Does anyone else sense this loss?
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: Collector's Corner?

Postby mikeymad » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:29 pm

I have never really been a fan of the whisky selling on this site... just never sat well with me. Probably because most of the selling is for profit. Buying something for £60 one day and listing it for sale at £120 the next...

This is not like selling a book or a radio. This is a highly regulated industry with lot of laws about buying, selling, and shipping of any product. Pretty much if there is one underage buyer out there, there could be a lot of trouble for someone.

Leave this type of selling to whisky auction or eBay. Or if you really want to play this game. Then get your licences to sell, setup shop and sell it for real.

This is a community (that happens to be run by a business, not just a group)... and as a community it's charter should be the frank exchange of ideas and information. Not really a place to come and buy and sell whisky for profit.

My thoughts,

Cheers,
Mikey - (member whisky magazine community)
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm

I can see where you're coming from Rich . Now my definition of Collecting is to buy something to admire (if you're into that...) , people seem to be using this forum to flog large amounts of bottles at once , probably under the guise of trying to sell to collectors......
The trouble is unless you stop selling completely it's always going to appear somewhere else .

Edit - you just beat me posting Mikey but i agree with your thoughts , BTW i won't allow selling on the SOI Forum , mainly because i don't like the bit about buying for £xx and then selling on a few days later for £xxx especially when it involves my favourite Distilleries and means some fans of X distillery misses out on a bottling and has to pay some bottlechaser through the nose!
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:45 pm

mikeymad wrote:I have never really been a fan of the whisky selling on this site... just never sat well with me. Probably because most of the selling is for profit. Buying something for £60 one day and listing it for sale at £120 the next...

This is not like selling a book or a radio. This is a highly regulated industry with lot of laws about buying, selling, and shipping of any product. Pretty much if there is one underage buyer out there, there could be a lot of trouble for someone.

Leave this type of selling to whisky auction or eBay. Or if you really want to play this game. Then get your licences to sell, setup shop and sell it for real.

This is a community (that happens to be run by a business, not just a group)... and as a community it's charter should be the frank exchange of ideas and information. Not really a place to come and buy and sell whisky for profit.

My thoughts,

Cheers,
Mikey - (member whisky magazine community)

I absolutely agree with you Mikey. I couldn't have said it better. :thumbsup:
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:19 pm

I was not trying to be an opponent or proponent of buying, selling, trading whisky (although ya'll make some interesting and valid points). I was merely lamenting the loss of people discussing their collections. I enjoyed admiring the Benriach collection (Sweden?) and Balvenie (Germany?) but there seems to be no discussion of this anymore.

If Whisky Mag wants to allow it, I'm not going to tilt at windmills. But shouldn't this be given its own forum?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby johan brugge » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:32 pm

I can remember two members who collected Balvenie's. One from Germany and another from The Netherlands. At least one of them (The Netherlands) wanted to promote his own site through which he could sell and buy Balvenie whiskies. I'm all for a forum on which we can discuss our collections but some people make an easy switch to trying to sell their bottles. Pitty. There are other, more suitable, websites for that.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:35 pm

I understand your point now ganga... I don't read sections of the forum (just use active topics)... But looking at it now, you are right, just about every thread in collectors is selling or looking for a box.

And yep I miss the collectors talking about collecting, not selling.

cheers,
mikeymad

Postby johan brugge » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:58 pm

That's an interesting point there Nick. I wouldn't mind if selling bottles would be banned though.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby GR8GUY » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:15 am

Ooops Sorry folks I am most certainly guilty of offering items for sale recently. :oops:
It wasn't my intention to abuse the site,it just seemed like a good idea at the time. I can see now that it could encourage others to jump on the bandwagon and before long it could end up like paddys market on here.
Going forward I'll behave myself and resist the temptation to flog my wares. :thumbsup:
P.S Obviously the buchanan's is still available :)
GR8GUY

Postby Aidan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:02 am

Don't forget that some members have sold whisky for no profit at all. I have also been able to get some whiskies that were otherwise unavailable to me by buying from members of this website.
Aidan

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:52 am

I don't buy whisky, or anything for that matter on the internet. For two simple reasons:
1) Revenue Canada/ Customs and Excise don't allow it into Canada.
2) I don't do business with someone I can't personally reach out and thwack if they irritate or cross me.
:D
Seriously, I prefer to search out products on my own. Most of the thrill of collecting whisky, for me, really is the hunt.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:29 am

you know what would happen if selling were stopped on collectors corner - it would just move to another section, then another etc..

i have always felt that buying and selling has a place here, it just needs to be better moderated, but thats an old gripe :D

maybe its time for a buying section again

ash .
Deactivated Member

Postby jazz lover » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:02 pm

I found selling or trading on
Collector's Corner useless...
Glad to see it go.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby jazz lover » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:42 pm

Yes Nick the Mountain is growing..
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby jazz lover » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:06 pm

Nick your collection looks very nice
I see you have a beautiful Ardbeg
1967 30 yr. Signatory Vintage.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby jazz lover » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:15 pm

Nick mine is a hobby gone out of control
I just need more drinking friends.Everyone
lives too far from me.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:08 pm

Hm, how's camping on the mountain? may need to schedule a "camping" trip to Texas.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby adogranonthepitch » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:47 pm

Is it Ok to sell my spare set of whisky mags then? (I have posted it in the whisky mag section)
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:19 am

Adrotp:
If I wasn't in the middle of renovating my Whisky Lair so I can display my collection, I'd be very tempted to send you a PM about this. Regretfully at present my extra funds are spoken for until I finish this little project.

Good luck flogging them.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:13 am

Dog, it is about clearing this section to be about talking about your collection. I miss people discussing their collection. I am not objection to sales of whisky or appurtenant supplies. Go aheah. Sell your Mags.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby richard » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:13 pm

any thoughts on this its on ebay bladnoch item no 200404461197

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby r900p » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:40 pm

Richard,

Is it the Flora and Fauna one, several places still have it TWE at £50 same as ebay cost, get it from TWE and save a couple of quid on postage, for same postage costs but another bottle too :iwbrnt:

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby richard » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:08 pm

i was just curious about the colour of the whisky in the bottle you would have to have a look to see im afraid i dont know hwo to work a link out

yes it is the flora and fauna one i wasnt looking to buy

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby jmrl » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:29 pm

Was the buying and selling section removed due to individuals being accused of questionable activities? As a buyer and seller of whisky I found it quite interesting. I was a bit surprised to see the facility on the site as I'm sure alcohol can only be sold by licenced merchants. Then there is the issue of profit being income hence taxable. Perhaps Whisky Mag got worried about providing a platform for buying and selling without the appropriate paperwork

While I'm at it how can second hand book shops and record shops re-sell such things? Don't books have a note inside saying not for re-sale, hire etc.

Confused. Scotchand
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:09 am

I understand that some people may take exception to the way somebody behaves during the process of offering various bottles for sale. I even understand, some what, that people take exception to the prices being asked.

But I would be really pissed off if I was in the middle of a deal and somebody here stuck their big nose into my business and runied the deal. I also take exception to people treating others like idiots and thinking that the vast majority of people on this forum cannot take care of themselves or make decisions for themselves. One persons expensive is another person cheap. If somebody wants to pay $1,500 for Macallan Moon Phase then that's there business, even if it's only worth $1,000.

Perhaps they simply REALLY must have it and are glad to pay the premium.

I think in some ways there has been much too much nanny state going on here. I must also conclude that I'm in the minority on this.......
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Iain » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:39 am

Lawrence wrote:But I would be really pissed off if I was in the middle of a deal and somebody here stuck their big nose into my business and runied the deal.

If you discuss deals in public places, you have to accept that there's a risk that some big nose might chip in with some unwelcome observations. And if that pisses you off - then don't do your dealings on an open forum!
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby ClubSmed » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:32 pm

Ganga wrote:It seems that since the removal of the forum for buying and selling that the function of the Collector's Corner has been usurped for selling off whisky.

There is still the "For Sale" option on "My Whisky" though, are people not aware of this or is there some other reason this is not utilised?
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:37 pm

Maybe it's too much trouble to go surching all the whisky collections of all the members. Besides, not all the bottles are mentioned here on this site as well.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:12 pm

Iain wrote:
Lawrence wrote:But I would be really pissed off if I was in the middle of a deal and somebody here stuck their big nose into my business and runied the deal.

If you discuss deals in public places, you have to accept that there's a risk that some big nose might chip in with some unwelcome observations. And if that pisses you off - then don't do your dealings on an open forum!

Well we'll never know because the busy bodies were kicked off this forum a year ago and the section was closed, never to reappear, it seems!

:D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby les taylor » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:22 pm

Unfortunately Lawrence this type of situation seems to have become an annual event.
les taylor

Postby Ganga » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:51 pm

Well, I'm not advocating the removal of trading/selling/purchasing of the product nor endorsing the like. Rather, I am advocating the removal of the practice from inappropriate areas of the forum.

Unlike some, I look through forums rather than by recent posts. Therefor, it affects me more when the topic is in the wrong forum.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Matt2 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:34 pm

Opened 3 sub forums here, For Sale, Wanted and Valuations.

Moved some of the posts about, but got bored, so if you find any in the wrong forum just report them and write what forum they should be in.

ps... any bickering, fighting, bitching etc and, well you know what happens....
Matt2

Postby Ganga » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:47 pm

Matt, that was a great solution. :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby lincoln imp » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:29 pm

Good thread Ganga :thumbsup:
One of the reasons i have not used this forum for some time was this very reason.
There were some questionable antics going on and then the moderaters stopped the selling thread. What really got my back up was that they made such a fuss about it etc but then over the months let the collectors corner descend into another for sale forum, thats alright then is it?
There appears to be no consistency with the site management here. You either have a blanket ban on selling or you openly allow it and accept any risks that go with it.
As others have stated here the thread was to allow the discussion of collections or special bottles etc of interest to a collectors. In my view the thread has been sabotaged. Shame :?
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby Matt2 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:59 pm

lincoln imp wrote:they made such a fuss about it etc but then over the months let the collectors corner descend into another for sale forum, thats alright then is it?

The fuss didn't come from this side, and you are a bit confussed about the sequence of what happened. Anyway, not really important and I hope you can enjoy the Collectors Corner again now that we are back where we started many moons ago...

As I mentioned before if you see a topic that should be in Valuations, For Sale or Wanted please click the report button so we can get it moved.

This whole for sale thing really gets people going doesn't it, whatever next, telling tales to men in black :mrgreen: :insane:
Matt2

Next

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder