Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Help!!

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Help!!

Postby portch » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Hi Folks,

Hopefully someone out there can help. I have inherited a few bottles of what I believe to be quite rare and valuable whisky however as you may have guessed by now, I have absolutely idea whatsoever about whisky! I had spent a bit of time on the net trying to gain information but this didn't prove too fruitful until a friend suggested I post a message on an enthusiast forum/website so here goes.....I am looking for someone to give me an honest opinion as to the value of these bottles and also if I should keep them and watch them increase in value or sell now. If indeed I should sell then how is it done? Any information would be gratefully received. I have attached pics to assist and provided as much info as I possibly can. Please excuse any incorrect wording, etc due to the lack of my knowledge:

1 x bottle 40 yr old Glenfiddich single malt rare collection in wooden lockable box with certificate of authenticity.

1 x 32 yr old Old & Rare single malt in box and certificate.

1 x 32 yr old Old & Rare single malt in box and certificate.

1 x 21 yr old Isle of Skye blended in ceramic holder.

1 x Johnnie Walker Premier.

There are others and even though I have limited knowledge my information tells me the best of these is a 21yr old Isle of Jura which sells for around £80-£90?

Once again any assistance would be gratefully received. Many thanks in advance for your help.

Neil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
portch

Re: Help!!

Postby adogranonthepitch » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:56 pm

Old and rare is a tradename .. It's the distillery which is important.

The GlenDullan is GBP100 tops

The Brora ... That is GBP400 possibly a bit more

Isle of Skye ... GBP50

Glenfiddich .... GBP500 again possible more. In shops they retail at GBP1000. However, that includes VAT and profit.

The others .. Not much

Just post the photos.

Are you selling?

If so ... Send them to Bonhams the auctioneers in Edinburgh .. Speak to Martin Green ... Top man

any further questions you can email me using the PM icon under my name

Christopher
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Re: Help!!

Postby AVB » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:15 pm

The Brora can still be found in a few shops in the £320-350 range so I would expect less in a private sale while I think the estimate on the Glenfiddich is low. I'd say £600-700 is well within range and maybe a bit more depending on how motivated your buyer is.
AVB
Bronze Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder