Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laguvuilin 1979 Distiller's select edition

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Laguvuilin 1979 Distiller's select edition

Postby amwestlake » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:45 pm

Recently my grandmother has found a bottle of Laguvulin 1979 Distiller's Select Edition boxed and unopened with box belonging to my late grandfather - I cannot find it for sale online anywhere, and have indeed been in to some of London's best whisky shops to try and find it but can't. Is this because it is rare, or was it not a great vintage. I have found vintages for neighbouring years, but not the '79. Any info would be appreciated.

Regards

Andy
amwestlake

Re: Laguvuilin 1979 Distiller's select edition

Postby pkt77242 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:27 pm

The Laga Distillers Editions are bottled at around 16yo (so the 1979 would have been bottled mid 1990's) and so would not be generally available now.

If you are looking to sale it you could contact The Whisky Exchange. For tasting notes whiskyfun.com should have some. I will look and see if I can find any more info.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby adogranonthepitch » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:58 am

If the box and labels are in good order and the level of the Whisky is in the neck of the bottle (not the shoulders of the bottle) then you have a GBP150 bottle .... possibly more

She drinks well as well!

Christopher
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby amwestlake » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:40 am

Thanks all for your posts. I'm obviously aware that you cannot offer anything for sale on this site but, other than the whisky exchange, does anyone know of anywhere else I could go to try and sell this bottle, it is in perfect condition.
amwestlake

Postby The Dazzler » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:23 am

Hi Amwestlake,

the 1979 Lagavulin was the very first Lagavulin Distillers Edition and is a much sought after bottle due to it being a first edition. In the correct auction it should reach £200ish however I doubt you would be offered that price by a retailer.

There will be an auction and antiques road-show type facility at this years Whisky Live in London at the end of February, or whisky auctions at Bonhams, (Edinburgh) or McTears, (Glasgow) might be your best options.

Cheers
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:53 am

I would send the bottle to Germany ... Whiskyauction.

Instructions are in English and I feel they offer a great service
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder