Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

2 Depression Era Mystery Scotches

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

2 Depression Era Mystery Scotches

Postby emagination » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:28 am

My room mate recently received a couple bottles of scotch that were supposedly from the depression era, found in the basement of a Chicago home that his sister and her fiance is living in. One of them is completely unmarked aside from the Berry Bros. and Rudd Ltd. London label around the neck.

According to Wikipedia they are the oldest wine and spirit merchant in Britain and the creators of Cutty Sark. Perhaps this is an old bottle of Cutty? Or maybe they labeled all spirits they distributed.

Not much else to go on with this bottle except that it appears to be corked.

The other bottle has clear branding but a quick Google search turned up nothing.

As you can kind of make out from the photo, it's a screw top and the whisky has fallen below the shoulder of the bottle. Though the foil shows it's sealed, I'm guessing it's not airtight and over the decades some of it evaporated.

Anyways, just curious if anyone has any insight on these bottles. Thought it would be fun to toss them up here and see if any of you seasoned veterans could find more clues based on the bottles themselves, though I know there's not much to go on and the pics aren't great. I'm sure back then they all used very similar bottles and labels and the initiative for having distinguished packaging wasn't nearly as competitive then as it is today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emagination

Re: 2 Depression Era Mystery Scotches

Postby adogranonthepitch » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:15 pm

nice bottles .. if you are going to sell them ... take them to Bonhams in New York
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder