Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Very Rare nearly 40 years old whisky (Photos)

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Very Rare nearly 40 years old whisky (Photos)

Postby Ivo10 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi,
My family owns this for nearly 40 years and since this kind of whisky is not on the market for like 10-20 years, I can't even find proper info about it.
It's a 4.5 litre bottle and we have two identical ones.
Anyone, if you have idea about it, please let me know how much would that cost becuase I've been all over the net looking for info for more than a month now.

Thanks!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ivo10

Re: Very Rare nearly 40 years old whisky (Photos)

Postby adogranonthepitch » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:29 pm

Wow ..
Not seen one of these before!

Difficult to value but it's a blend and not a well known one at that.

I would guess, and don't be offended by this, but it can't be much more than 50 quid.

It's not collectable ... If anyone disagrees .. Shout up
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby Ivo10 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:48 am

^^
I'm not offended, thanks for stopping by and giving your opinion.
:thumbsup:
The other day Collector57 gave me links of those stores which valluate and if interested buy and I got an answer from one of them and they said they weren't interested because it is most likely not too valluable because it's a blend, but then sent me another e-mail later on about some cusotomer of theirs from Belgium who offered 2000 euros a bottle.
My father rejected him and that was it, they didn't give me more info about the whisky.
It is collectable because it's really rare indeed as it's been out of the market forever, potentially one of the few bottles left.
Ivo10

Postby Sir Dino » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:54 am

Can't believe it... :shock: 2000 EUR? :shock:

At whiskyauction.com 3 bottles Huntly were sold between 11 and 17 EUR in the last 5 years...

Okay, this were "normal" bottles (0,75l) and other labels... But this is only a blend without age statement... :o
Last edited by Sir Dino on Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Dino
Bronze Member

Postby Ivo10 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:00 am

Believe it or not my fahter refused to even consider it because he bought it before I was even born so he didn't care. Like he said we better open it and start drinking it for some special ocassion, or just let it stay. Which is gonna probably happen beucase he'd only sell way away from the so called current vallue of it.

I do believe you that people sold bottles for 17 euros but I wonder what's the point of doing it. It sounds ridicilous. If it had any kind of rare vallue then they better just gave it for free out of a nice gesture because 17 euros is like you're making fun of it. All people should vallue rare stuff more in my opinon, not just some. What do you do with 17 euros when you sell something like this?

I own a bar and I could easily take 2000 euros out of any of my bottles because I'd easily go for 20 euros a shot and the customers are gonna push me doing it once I put it on the counter. I sold like a 5-6 years old bottle of homemade wine for 30 euros the other day because some people do care about genuine and rare stuff.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by and giving me that info. I'll hop on and check that website you put out there.
:thumbsup:
Ivo10

Postby corbuso » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:07 pm

Woav, 2000 euros for that bottle?
Probably a comma missing there?
I would never have estimated for more than £50.

We are sometimes suprised.
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Ivo10 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:20 am

corbuso wrote:Woav, 2000 euros for that bottle?
Probably a comma missing there?
I would never have estimated for more than £50.

We are sometimes suprised.

Considering all that Blend/Malt thingy and the way collectioners look at it you might be right because you're the second one who said it's like just 50 quid.
I look at it differently though, and I guess some people do too. I do think whiskies got really bad in the last decade, no matter malt or blend. What really matters to me is if the whisky or whatever alchohol is made before that comercial period in which everything is the same, just in a different bottle and with different taste.

I didn't do a typo, I meant 2000 (two thousand) euros and the offer was rejected, and with all the respect it would've been rejected even if he doubled the price, which he didn't. It might look a little funny but that's personal choise and the current vallue of the whisky don't really matter to me.

At the end of the day, the first two people who commented out here are people with great knowledge of whisky and are collectioners as well, their opinon counts and they started they comments like:

WOW Never seen one of these...
and
I've never seen one either...

and that's what matters the most to me.
Ivo10

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:26 pm

What interest me is the size of the bottle at 4.5 liters. I have a similar bottle of Ardbeg and that would match perfectly. But for 2000, I will pass.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:59 am

Ivo10 wrote:
At the end of the day, the first two people who commented out here are people with great knowledge of whisky and are collectioners as well, their opinon counts and they started they comments like:

WOW Never seen one of these...
and
I've never seen one either...

and that's what matters the most to me.

Some might have a great knowledge and make different comments :)
But the first two commentator are indeed knowledgeable.
With at least 2000 brands of blends in the 1970-80s, if you except the big names (e.g., Teacher's, JW), I suppose that these are a lot of bottles that most of us have never seen before?

And as you mention, the value is in the eyes of the watcher :-)

Just a question. Why do you wanted to know the value of the bottle if you don't want to sell it? I don't get the point or have I missed the point?
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Ivo10 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:39 pm

Well you either didn't get the point or just didn't understand it from jump, but it's all good.

I did want to sell, and I still want to sell but my family and I didn't know the current vallue of those bottles they have for such a long time would cost what my girldfriend spends in a blink. lol
That's why I started that thread and in the meanwhile was looking for the price elsewhere too. I needed to know more because it's so rare and old that I still can't find proper info about it.
In general initially I thought it'd cost a lot more because some guy on that section right here sold some bottle for 10 000 euros. (I do know the difference between what he sold, and what I have but I still thought it'd cost more than what I was offered)
So like I wrote on that other post my father said if it was for 2000 euros a bottle, he'd just wait for special ocasion and would open it, or just let it stay rather than have it forever and then sell it to some guy he doesn't even know for just that. With all the respect to the guy from Belguim who did the offer to that whisky shop I contacted, it is just a personal choise, and if this is you I'm sorry but we just can't sell it on that price so please understand.
Plus I pointed out I could sell on that price in my bar any other day by opening the bottle and let customers share it with us for at least like 20 euros a shot and that'd be easy.

It still matters to me that the two people who commented on this thread said they have never seen one of these because it's one thing if something is rare, and it's a whole 'nother thing if it something is regional or not popular. The whisky I have is not been on the market for 10-20 years and as Collector57 suggested it might be JW precessor.

About the price the first guy suggested, it was irrelevant because:

1 I'm not looking for a whisky collectioner who's only into malt whisky, but one who's looking for rare stuff, that'd be like a person who collects all kinds of rare old, or kinda sepcial alchoholic beverages like my father does, not just whisky, let alone just malt whisky.

2 It was just a guess and he was friendly enough in the first place.

3 I got an offer I rejected already which is obviously way more than the suggested one in the thread, and along with it the other day some nice guy Andrew Bell from McTears offered me an auction from 120 quid, which is still nothing to me, but yet again nearly 3 times more than the suggested price on the thread, and that'sd be the possible lowest price for the auction.

Bottom line is I do want to sell what I put for sale, but most likely it won't happen because the so called current vallue and the price we want for it are just south and north. And I found out that after I started this thread so there's nothing wrong with it in my opinon.
Ivo10

Postby Ivo10 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:38 pm

LeoDLion wrote:What interest me is the size of the bottle at 4.5 liters. I have a similar bottle of Ardbeg and that would match perfectly. But for 2000, I will pass.

Thanks for stopping by, I'd pass on 2000 myself anyway. I did actually. lol

I know what you mean about those 4.5 litre bottles, they fit great and look really well in the winery. My father has other rare 4.5 ones, and some regular 4.5 ones in there so they really make that place look special.
Last edited by Ivo10 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivo10

Postby Ivo10 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:40 pm

My bad, I quoted one of my posts instead of edit it so I fucked up the whole thread. :(
I can't delete this last post, can I?
Ivo10

Postby DukeofSandwich » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:51 am

I agree with the others, this is pretty much worthless. Its a crappy blend and there's a lot of it!
DukeofSandwich

Postby AVB » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:50 pm

I'd go back and beg that guy to take it off your hands for 2000 euros.
AVB
Bronze Member

Postby MARS » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:08 am

If really someone is stupid enough to offer 2000 euros for this, take the money and go buy something who is really worth that kind of money!

I am really ashamed to be from belgium. (2000€ :insane: )

MARS
MARS

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder