Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Speyside? But which

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Speyside? But which

Postby matteo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi all,
we have found in a dark forgotten place of our closet this bottle of Pure Malt Speyside 12yo, produced by Speyside Distillery & Bonding Co. Ltd Glasgow and Invernesshire. We suppose that the bottle was bought about 20 years ago.

Does any one know which distillery is? Which is the value of this bottles, if it's got a value?
P1020428.JPG
P1020429.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matteo

Re: Speyside? But which

Postby jmrl » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:55 pm

I've seen one before and it flumoxed me then too. They are a very interesting company but it could be anything, best to get in touch with them then share your findings. Curiouser and curiouser
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:01 pm

My understanding of the term "pure malt" is that it is a mixture of different single malts. So there would be many different distilleries in it. Not sure if this helps you or not.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:37 pm

pkt77242 wrote:My understanding of the term "pure malt" is that it is a mixture of different single malts. So there would be many different distilleries in it. Not sure if this helps you or not.

Sean

I don't think there would have been that clarity of definition 20 years ago Sean. It might be a single. Who knows?
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby matteo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:36 am

Looking for info about this whisky/distillery I've found this:
http://www.speysidedistillery.co.uk/tasting.php?cat=speyside&bottleID=71

It seems the same product with new styling and the name changed to respect new laws.

And this link http://www.scotchwhisky.net/profile/speyside.htm is the change log of the name of the distillery.

I suppose that the bottle was purchased in US because of the 75 cl instead of 70cl
matteo

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:31 am

Collector57 wrote:
matteo wrote:Looking for info about this whisky/distillery I've found this:
http://www.speysidedistillery.co.uk/tasting.php?cat=speyside&bottleID=71

It seems the same product with new styling and the name changed to respect new laws.

And this link http://www.scotchwhisky.net/profile/speyside.htm is the change log of the name of the distillery.

I suppose that the bottle was purchased in US because of the 75 cl instead of 70cl

I'm not sure that the fact it says Speyside Malt means it comes from the Speyside Distillery. Speyside is, after all, a generic term.

Speyside distillery only opened (on an old site) in the very end of 1990, so your 20 years would be cutting it fine - and if it were any longer than 20 years, it would be impossible that it came from the new Speyside distillery and very unlikely it came from the old one (which closed in 1911).

I'm not sure your search is over, but some research into the company name may be in order (Companies House? When did the Speyside Distillery and Bonding Company come into existence?). THe second link certainly indicates that this is the same company so this could be one of the very first bottles from the new distillery.

I'm not sure I've understood your post Nick but this couldn't have come from the new Speyside distillery as the bottle states 12yo and they didn't have such a product until about 2006 as I recall. Also not in that bottle. It must be some other speyside malt (which is perhaps a good thing) bottled by the company to raise awareness.
Willie JJ

Postby matteo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:23 pm

Speyside Distillery & Bonding Co. Ltd Glasgow and Invernesshire, as I found in some Internet site, is the name used from 1955 to 1985

Pure malt whisky, as fine malt whisky and so on are all "terms" used to identify single malt whisky in late 60's to 80's if I'm not wrong, am I?

These are some details that I crawled in Internet:

SPEYSIDE DISTILLERY COMPANY LIMITED:
Registered no: SC031095
Registered office: Duchess Road
Rutherglen
Glasgow
G73 1AU
Incorporated: 18 Oct 1955
Previous names:
11/02/2002 THE SPEYSIDE DISTILLERS LIMITED/SPEYSIDE DISTILLERY COMPANY LIMITED
08/03/2001 SPEYSIDE DISTILLERY COMPANY LIMITED/THE SPEYSIDE DISTILLERS LIMITED
04/09/1985 SPEYSIDE DISTILLERY AND BONDING COMPANY LIMITED/SPEYSIDE DISTILLERY COMPANY LIMITED
matteo

Postby John Barleycorn » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:44 pm

I think this bottle either comes from the Speyside Distillery or has associations with its founder George Christie

The Speyside Distillery & Bonding Company Limited was founded in 1955 by the Christie family who were involved in other whisky ventures. In 1956 George Christie obtained a plot of land at Drumguish near Kingussie. In 1962 he commissioned the building of the distillery and in December 1990 the distillery become operational. Three years later George brought out a limited edition single malt as a ‘thank you’ to those involved in the building of Speyside.

However, and here comes an important piece in the jigsaw, during the period prior to the distillery becoming operational, George sold blends and vatted malts, some going under the name Speyside. I believe they didn’t bring out a single malt under the distillery’s name until 1999 and that was an 8yo, prior to that I thank it went under the title ‘Drumguish’

Another clue with your bottle’s link with the Speyside Distillery is the crest, which can be seen on their casks http://www.scotchwhisky.net/images/dist/drum_cask.jpg and found on the distillery gates.

I would say this is a vatted malt, bottled during the period prior to the distillery opening. The term ‘Pure Malt’ was used for both single and vatted malts at one time but as a rule if the words appear on a bottle of scotch then it is usually a vatted malt.

Cheers John
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Postby matteo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:53 pm

Thanks John great search :thumbsup:

I sent an email to the actual Speyside Distillery asking them some info...now I'm waiting.
matteo

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:58 pm

John Barleycorn wrote:I think this bottle either comes from the Speyside Distillery or has associations with its founder George Christie

I don't think that we are now in any doubt that its the same company that own's the Speyside Distillery (i.e. George Christie's company) , but that the malt is not from the Speyside Distillery. It could be anything in the bottle: vatted, or single malt. Probably only the company records or someone from the company with a good memory can narrow it down further.

Edit: You beat me to it Matteo :)
Willie JJ

Postby matteo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Great job maltmate :D
I'm looking all around the Internet but nothing...I will post any news if I find
matteo

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder