Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Pre1918 Full,All labels Unopened Mortlach,George Cowie & Son

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Pre1918 Full,All labels Unopened Mortlach,George Cowie & Son

Postby klockedout » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:44 am

Hello,
Can anyone value the unopened bottle of "Mortlach Scoth Whiskey"I have owned for many years.Pictures available :In addition to the original Mortlach label,George Cowie & Son ,Dufftown,Scotland, the bottle has a "War Revenue Act of 1918" smaller label on opposite side from makers label and it seems to be pasted over older labels, bearing the restaurant name Melsmeimer Restaurant Co. This inventory label,#9XX has penciled in on dotted printed lines that it is 90 Proof,1/5 and Scotch 627_,last pencilled digit is almost unreadable on printed dotted line.The labels are fairly simple with black lettering and in great condition. The makers name is "George Cowie & Son,Dufftown,Scotland".Label also states "Gauranteed A Pure Highland Malt "Pot Still" Straight Whiskey".(Was this how single Malt was mentioned) The bottle has a green foil label over the cork and top neck of the bottle,looks untampered. The foil has a fancy stamp and empossed on the foil in tiny letters at the very edge is "Made in Spain". The bottle is brown with many tiny air bubbles in the glass and is full to within above the base of the neck. I can email pictures . Klockedout@aol.com Many Thanks David
klockedout

Re: Pre1918 Full,All labels Unopened Mortlach,George Cowie &

Postby Klondike » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:35 am

I have no idea what the value of this bottle is, but maybe it is an idea to contact The Whisky Exchange? They have some very old bottlings of various spirits and thus some experience in assigning a value.
Klondike

Re: Pre1918 Full,All labels Unopened Mortlach,George Cowie &

Postby whiskyhibby » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:53 pm

Klondike wrote:I have no idea what the value of this bottle is, but maybe it is an idea to contact The Whisky Exchange? They have some very old bottlings of various spirits and thus some experience in assigning a value.

You would be better asking Martin Green at Christies Glasgow, The Whisky Exchange values are based on what they would pay and feedback from this forum and others is that the value they provide is very much on the low side
whiskyhibby

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder