Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

general advice needed

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

general advice needed

Postby johnnyfree » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:36 am

hi jst wantd 2 know wat wld b a gd choice to make towards a nu collection?
johnnyfree

Re: general advice needed

Postby AdamMY » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:23 am

I'd spend money on Schooling before buying whisky. One should know how to spell (within reason for influence of alcohol), and not sound like a high school student sending a text message when asking a question.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby johnnyfree » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:04 am

Thx 4 wasting my time Adam great 2 know tat there r still useless ppls like u around
johnnyfree

Postby John Barleycorn » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:59 pm

Hi Johnny

The first question you have to ask yourself is: are you collecting as an investment or to consume? Of course you can do both. There's an old rule of thumb in the world of whisky collecting and that is to buy three bottles of the same expression, one to drink, one to keep and one to sell. If you're looking at whisky as an investment only then go out and buy the most expensive whiskies you can afford, lock them away for ten or so years and then sell them. You may be lucky!

If, however, you wish to collect whisky for appreciation and knowledge on the subject, then there are a number of factors which have to be taken into consideration i.e. which region: scotch; bourbon etc. If its scotch, what type of whisky do you like? Peated or non-peated? How much do you wish to spend? Have you got room for your collection?

There are no rights or wrongs to collecting. Start off by finding out what you like, read as much as you can on the subject and take advice from others.

Talking of advice, AdamMY does have a point. It is best not to use text speak, there are a lot of contributors to this forum for whom English is not their mother tongue and who may have difficulty in appreciating what you are trying to convey and thereby be unable to contribute . The lingua franca on this forum is, as far as possible, Standard English with spelling variations.

Just a small point, you could have used 2wards or even 2wrds for towards and gr8 for great.

Cheers John
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Postby AdamMY » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:00 pm

johnnyfree wrote:Thx 4 wasting my time Adam great 2 know tat there r still useless ppls like u around

I am just saying you are a lot more likely to get a decent response to your question, if you actually look like you put time into writing your question. But what I said still stands, try to come across as someone who is mature enough to actually be drinking.

What John said is important, you first have to decide if you are planning on drinking these bottles or if you are viewing these as an investment. While most of us on the forum buy to drink, rather than buy to invest, the price points you should consider for each are vastly different. I doubt there are many whisky's that are truly "investment quality" under 100 dollars (possibly even under 200). Then when buying investment whisky you should do research on the bottles, and stick to buying what you know.

If you are buying for taste, I highly encourage you to find out what your tastes are first. I personally love a good bit of Sherry influence from aging the whisky in Sherry casks, others are a lot less fond of sherry influence. Do you like the salty influences that can come from a distillery on an island or close to the ocean? How much do you like peat? How much do you like smoke? If you can not answer those questions right away, start by buying some of the younger Original Bottlings from distilleries across Scotland to see what you like. I would also try to put a little bit of effort into trying them from different areas. While the areas do not define the style of the whisky, they tend to offer a decent guideline of what you can expect from the tastes.
AdamMY

Postby whiteshirt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:41 am

johnnyfree wrote:hi jst wantd 2 know wat wld b a gd choice to make towards a nu collection?

This is mobile phone texting message shorthand.
The future of writing?
whiteshirt
Bronze Member

Postby jazz lover » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:45 pm

Sadly yes..
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:55 pm

whiteshirt wrote:
johnnyfree wrote:hi jst wantd 2 know wat wld b a gd choice to make towards a nu collection?

The future of writing?

jazz lover wrote:Sadly yes..

I certainly hope not.
les taylor

Postby r900p » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:58 pm

I read read and read what's hot and not in the Whisky world.

As some have said three appears to the magic number, 1 to drink, 1 to keep, 1 to sell. If you buy a good few and like me can't drink quick enough the collection will grow quicker.

If going for investment try googling, Cult Whisky, investment articles, one of the latest Whiskeria magazines from the Whisky Shop has a good article on investment grade malt. It you 'text' regularly and do everything on your phone you can do worse than following distilleries on Facebook and Twitter.

R
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:17 am

whiteshirt wrote:

The future of writing?

Doubtful. Too many folks are educated enough to ridicule this kind of "speech". He's lucky some folks were kind enough to reply graciously. If he had run into NYDAVY, there would have been a lot more blood on the pages.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:42 am

johnnyfree wrote:general advice needed

...and dutifully provided, it would appear. :wink:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby MacDeffe » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:56 pm

I wut strt by gttng a boddle from every dstllery

Dff
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby bredman » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:55 am

Ganga wrote:
whiteshirt wrote:
The future of writing?

Doubtful. Too many folks are educated enough to ridicule this kind of "speech".

The future of writing in general? Probably yes. The world will pass by these sleepy whisky forums.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby nash60975 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:24 am

If you end up collecting with the goal of consumption, I know many people find doing some blind tasting to be particularly useful and informative. If you do a blind tasting and discover that you enjoy a $30 bottle more than, or as much as, a $150 bottle, then you've learned something that will save you a lot of money in the long run. This is of course assuming that the prestige of owning/pouring certain rare and expensive expressions is not important to you.

If you wish to invest, keep in mind the fluctuation of trends and that we are currently in the midst of a whisky craze. There is always the possibility that some bottles will not gain enough in value over the next ten years to make storing them worthwhile. I agree with others who have recommended doing a ton of research, as well as to make sure you have a budget laid out before the buying begins (This can become incredibly addictive and get expensive very quick).
nash60975

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder