Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Where to go to sell a single malt (non-scotch) whisky?

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Where to go to sell a single malt (non-scotch) whisky?

Postby Iwan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:44 pm

Hello,

Is there anyone that kows of the existance of a specialized website or forum where you can sell a bottle of whisky? I googled around a bit but what I found was not realy satisfying and I don't want to put it on e-bay because I don't agree with their policy of 8%!!! of comission they ask.

KR,
Iwan (Belgium)
Iwan

Re: Where to go to sell a single malt (non-scotch) whisky?

Postby r900p » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:34 pm

What bottle are you planning on selling? There are only really two auction houses in my opinion to sell at. Whisky Auction.com in Germany. If you email them they'll send you the postage labels so you save the cost. Then there is Scotch Whisky Auctions in Glasgow this you'd have to swallow the postage costs yourself but they are getting great prices for sellers.

R
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby John Barleycorn » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:47 pm

I think 8% is a very competitive rate, all auction houses and web sites are going to charge something. At Whisky Auction.com the commission is on a sliding scale from 50% to 13% depending on the hammer price, Scotch Whisky Auctions charge a seller's premium of 10% plus £3 per lot to cover handling, photography and upload onto their website and then a further £4 if you wish to put reserve on the item. There is also McTears in Glasgow they charge 18% plus VAT of 20% on the commission.

A lot will depend on your location and what you wish to sell. Sometimes it is not worth the trouble as its value may be low, in which case just have a party and drink it. Post a few photos of your bottle on the forum, there is bound to be someone who will give you a valuation.

Cheers John
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Postby Iwan » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:18 pm

R,

Thanks for the links, I'll ceck them out. It's not a bottle but a tasting kit that I would like to sell. Belgian "Gouden Carolus": Glencairn Glass + (5cl New make - 25 cl 1 year old - 35 cl whisky).

John,

I guess I'm polonised with the scotisch compulsive nature of not wanting to spend a single buck where not needed. I'dd rather sell this to some interested collector or amateur without having to pass via an intermediary auctioner. I've posted a link below so you can check the pictutres and a description of the malt, unfortunatly only in Dutch...

http://whisky.hetanker.be/nl/whisky
Iwan

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder