Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Another old Bottle - any Clue from when it is?

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Another old Bottle - any Clue from when it is?

Postby MichaelMdot » Tue May 29, 2012 9:24 pm

Gentlemen

Some years ago I herited a bottle of Haig's Gold Label. Examining the bottle gave me no clue how old it might be, but the condition of the labels and the kind of closure look ancient somehow.
HaigsGold.jpg
I examined the coat of arms on th e front label. Though it is printed rather coarse you can still distinguish the Lion and the Chained Unicorn.
It is the Royal Coat of Arms, that thas been in use since 1837.
So it won't help us to decide whether Her Majesty in this case is Elizabeth II or Victoria.
CoatofArms.jpg

On the rear side we find a diamond shaped label. Though it is free from any hint, the first sentence cannot be published too often:
LabelRear.jpg

Very special I found the closure. It is a kind of flip wire cap I never encounterd before. Originally it had been sealed with a capsule made of distinctively embossed tin foil.
WireCap.jpg

So, anyone who has got an idea of the bottles issuing date, or the (roughly) estimated value? (Imagined, the bottle was originally sealed?)

Thanks again in advance

Michael

(***Rem.: Theft is useless! The bottle is EMPTY!***) :dead:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MichaelMdot

Re: Another old Bottle - any Clue from when it is?

Postby corbuso » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:30 am

This is a bottle from the late 1950s-1960s and the closure is a tin cap.
You can still find full bottles.
Empty bottles are almost worthless.
The value of your bottle is about 1 euro.
www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby MichaelMdot » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:17 pm

Thank you, corbuso,
I think I'll keep that bottle, though it is empty, it's very decorative.
And it is a kind of memorial to our late neighbour.

Regards
MichaelMdot

Postby famork7 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:03 pm

The first sign of HAIG'S Gold Label was in 1952 (previously John Haig & Co.Ltd. separate from GOLD LABEL) Therefore your bottle is from the 1950's and the Royal Appointment is to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth.
famork7

Postby John Barleycorn » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:27 pm

famork7 wrote:The first sign of HAIG'S Gold Label was in 1952 (previously John Haig & Co.Ltd. separate from GOLD LABEL) Therefore your bottle is from the 1950's and the Royal Appointment is to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth.

That's what corbuso stated, the clue is the closure plus the royal warrant. This type of closer was replaced in the early 60's with the ROPP cap, the type most commonly seen today. The warrant places it from 1953 at the very earliest and it may have been 1955 or 56 before a new warrant was granted and new labelling produced, So its time line is 1953ish to the early 60's.
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder