Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Royal Scot Whisky

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Royal Scot Whisky

Postby Nigeljuggler » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:42 pm

I have been given a bottle of Whisky to sell to raise money for the youth circus I run.
The bottle says on it in a shield Royal Scot Whisky underneath which in a motto ribbon are the letters L.M.S. Above is a smaller motto which reads Heich obuna? the Heich. I've been told by the person who gave me the bottle that it came from the train of the same name and is at least 60 years old. I can't verify this. Can anybody give me any information? Is this bottle rare? worth anything?

Nigel
Nigeljuggler

Re: Royal Scot Whisky

Postby Jonny McCormick » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:04 pm

Royal Scot Whisky is a blended Scotch whisky rather than a single malt. From the description you've given, this will have been a bottling for the London, Midland And Scottish Railways who ran a chain of hotels prior to the formation of British Rail. The motto "Heich abune the heich" means "High above the high" and has an association with The Gleneagles Hotel. This was one of the prestigious hotels run by LMS in its heyday. However, Royal Scot Whisky was bottled later as well - see this example bottled for British Transport Hotels on The Whisky Exchange website http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-14384.aspx

Most old blends will sell at auction for smaller sums than single malts. Without a photo, it is difficult to verify the age of the bottle. It's value will depend on the condition of the closure, the label and any packaging, but it looks like a blend done for a hotel group and does not appear to be one of the major blended whiskies that attract larger sums from collectors.
Depending on where you are based, I can put you in touch with an auction house if that would be helpful.
Jonny McCormick

Postby Nigeljuggler » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:43 am

Thanks for replying. I'd already seen the image you linked and that bottle is a lot more modern than the bottle I own. Hopefully I can post a picture of the bottle.
As you should be able to see the bottle has a cork which is slightly shrunken at the bottom and the label is much more basic.
I live in Milton Keynes and would be interested in knowing a good place to sell it.
The link to the picture on facebook is below
http://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=notifications#!/photo.php?fbid=10151064487902122&set=a.10150816824207122.434773.767137121&type=1&theater
Nigeljuggler

Postby Nigeljuggler » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:41 pm

I will be selling the whisky at the GWRA auction on 10th November. As LMS ceased to exist in 1948 that makes the bottle at least 64 years old. All monies raised will go to Concrete Circus youth circus.
Nigeljuggler

Postby John Barleycorn » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:27 pm

Nigeljuggler wrote:As LMS ceased to exist in 1948 that makes the bottle at least 64 years old.

The bottle yes but not the contents, which remain the same age as they were when bottled.
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Postby Nigeljuggler » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:01 am

Just to let you know that the bottle sold for £210. Or in other words Concrete Circus (youth circus) benefitted by £172.

www.localgiving.com/concretecircus
Nigeljuggler

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder