Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg signatory 1967 30 YO

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Ardbeg signatory 1967 30 YO

Postby agoldf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:03 pm

Just came across a bottle (not sure of the ABV) for $850.
Worth it?
It appears to be very good judging by the reviews n stuff but 850 is alot of money, especially for an independent bottling, even if it is a single cask ardbeg.
I've seen that at whiskyauction that is about what I should expect to pay at best but that does not make it worth it...
agoldf

Re: Ardbeg signatory 1967 30 YO

Postby Ganga » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:54 am

There are several single casks of Ardbeg 30, 1967 bottled by Signatory. The four I know are all excellent whiskies. Then again, I had them when it was under $200. :thumbsup: Nope, I wouldn't pay that for the bottle but understand that is excellent whisky so it might be worth it if you have the funds are not an issue.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby corbuso » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:09 pm

It is difficult to answer that question for you.
There is no offical release of Ardbeg of that vintage, but several whisky enthusiasts have very high considerations for that bottle. I have tasted one of it and it is indeed an excellent whisky.

If you can afford the $850 and you like the old Ardbeg, then go for it, if you think you can appreciate it for what it is: an old sherried version of Ardbeg from the old malting floors and drink a piece of history.

Alternatively, you can buy a lot of very good bottles for that price, and eventually enjoy them at least as good as the 1967
www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby agoldf » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks, I appreciate the comments. My question was that regardless of the financial position of the purchaser, an $850 whisky should be (on a purely comparative basis for what can be had in the $600-1000 range) absolutely amazing (laga 21/Talisker 20/ardbeg provenance) , or something really unique/special (e.g. Ben Wyvis 37, Ladyburn 73) if not both. Clearly based on auction pricing (although I have not seen this particular cask 1142 come up at auction) people are willing to pay that much for it but that doesn't mean that there is any consensus on the quality or uniqueness.
Thanks for any comments.
agoldf

Postby corbuso » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:01 pm

personally, I would not put that money for a bottle just for its rarity (e.g., Be Wyvis), but also for the good repuation of the content's quality :-)

Corbuso
www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder