Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ebay - what is going on ?

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Re: Ebay - what is going on ?

Postby richard » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:29 pm

just cotacted ebay again i have been told they will contact me in 24-48 hours
with a response to what i said about not selling whisky anymore ???

richard :lol:
richard
Silver Member

Postby richard » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:04 pm

sorry no reply as yet from ebay so much for 24-48 hours nearly double that and no reply

richard :headbang:
richard
Silver Member

Postby richard » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:43 pm

ebay still havent contacted me about the twenty year old rule its only been a fortnight
they said they would contact within 24-48 hours says alot about them

i recently had two bottles taken off ebay as a bottle of whisky bottled in 2007 and 2005 both over twenty years old is not collectable after my conversation with ebay my findings are they ignorant and hard work do as i say not what i do

i have to agree with other people on here ebay is a waste of time at this moment

richard
Silver Member

Postby Scottie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:24 am

The whisky needs to have been BOTTLED pre 1992 i.e. 20 years ago.
Anybody found an alternative to eBay yet?
Scottie

Postby richard » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:51 pm

sorry scottie that is not always the way mine were pre 1992 didnt make any difference
to the representative he told me they wernt colletable they had been previously taken off for offering europeing postage my mistake
so i sorted it out six days later they were taken off again first preson said i couldnt tell anyone any imformation about the bottle second it wasnt collectable whos taken the mickey

richard
Silver Member

Postby whiteshirt » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:14 pm

I noticed that one or two whiskys on Ebay are appearing as "Whisky Presentation Box"

The small print in the description reads :-
HIGHLY COLLECTABLE PRESENTATION BOX AS A COLLECTABLE ONLY. INSIDE THE BOX IS A CONTAINER WHICH IS FULL AND SEALED

Is this a way round it??
whiteshirt
Bronze Member

Postby kellyplanet » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:41 pm

I just had an EMPTY bottle of Lord of the isles Ardbeg removed due to this "policy" I am so annoyed as it had been active over a week and was due to end today. It was at £300 and I had 103 watchers. I phoned the call centre and got nowhere.

It said in the description the bottle was empty. I have relisted and copy and pasted disclaimer into the listing of which most doesn't apply to an empty bottle !!! :evil: Will see what happens this time x :roll:
kellyplanet

Postby mikeymad » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:14 am

sure hope the 'winner' does not use it to make a fake...
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kellyplanet » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:40 pm

We contacted Ardbeg to see if they had some sort of bottle registration scheme as that's the last thing we want also. I have just bought 2 bottles of Ardbeg Galilio and was going to use the cash to offset. :P
kellyplanet

Postby Scottie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:55 am

Richard

I don't understand.
You say that your whisky was bottled in 2007 and 2005. That makes them (the bottles) 6 and 8 years old respectively. In eBay's eyes that does not comply with their rule that the bottle should be over 20 years old. It doesn't matter how old the contents are, the bottle has to have been last for sale over 20 years ago.
That's my understanding anyway.
Scottie

Postby richard » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:21 pm

one bottle was distilled in 1980 bottled 2005 the other was distilled 1982 and bottled 2007
i hope this helps scottie it wasnt as clear as i wanted it to be

so both over 20 years old unlike many on ebay and both hadnt been seen for a few years
so to ebay there not collectable ???

richard
Silver Member

Postby Scottie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:22 pm

Exactly. Your bottles are 8 and 6 years old respectively so do not qualify.
Indeed the CONTENTS are over 20 years old but that doesn't count.
Frustrating, but that's their new rules.
Still loads of readily available non-20 years old stuff on though.
Scottie

Postby richard » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:58 pm

i see were you are coming from scottie i dont agree with you but i could be wrong

as the bottles werent taken off for not being twenty years old on ebay one for offering postage outside of the uk the second for mentioning a discription of the bottle
can you believe it must admit both reps from ebay were not sure this was correct says it all :headbang:

i think ebay need to clarify the situation as a lot of people agree with me and a lot agree with you

they seem to change the rules about once a week

and not apply them to some sellers

richard :insane:
richard
Silver Member

Postby whiteshirt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:32 pm

Just had this reply from Ebay

Please be informed that due to increasing circumvention of international laws governing sale of alcohol and related items, eBay Policy and Legal teams have decided to put blanket ban on sale of containers containing alcohol, regardless of its purpose of consumption or collectible items. Furthermore, this ban will be effective from February 14, 2013. Therefore, we request all eBay members to abide by the laws and not list alcohol and related items on the site from February 14, 2013. I hope our policy is clear to you and in addition to that, empty bottles of alcohol are permitted on the site; however, list images and description must make it evident.
whiteshirt
Bronze Member

Postby Scottie » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:18 pm

Oh well, that's the end of that then.
I'll ask again - any alternatives to eBay where you don't have to send you bottles to an auction house 200 miles away?
Scottie

Postby richard » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:40 am

i must admit i wasnt sure about ebay stopping selling whisky but i have heard this from a few more ebay sellers and buyers
as when i asked the same question i never recieved a answer shame on you eaby :headbang:
i was told i would recieve a reply says it all
scottie you have to contact mctears bonhams or christies as well as there are many new people setting up selling whisky
take your pick and see what happens

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby teuchter2012 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:59 pm

I too have had 2 listings removed recently which complied with their rules. Its easy for someone to report a listing using their report button and it seems this is being used far too often probably by sellers getting rid of the competition. Ebay obviously turns a blind eye to some listings though just check some of the latest. I have now given up on them and have started using http://www.deluxauctions.co.uk with some success and no hastle.
teuchter2012

Postby richard » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:51 pm

i know what your on about i had bottles removed the same bottles were being sold no problem by other sellers it does make you wonder

ebay just seem to flex there muscles on the smaller sellers and trying to talk to some ebay reps they seem to be not interested

i know i used to buy all my tools and bits and pieces on ebay something i wont be doing in the future

i was allways told to treat people the way you would expect to be treated yourself not as ebay treat you

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby richard » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:27 pm

just to add confusion to the table watch out for the new potal changes any alcahol over 23% cant be sent by royal mail
the first time you will recieve a warning
the second you can or will be fined a thousand pounds
so you have been warned
just happened to a friend of mine just got the warning
you can find this info at royal mail

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby John Barleycorn » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:45 am

Is this within the UK? There is a problem with sending alcohol via Royal mail on international flights.
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Postby richard » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:19 am

i believe so for the likes of us companies arnt affected but i am not fully sure this was just to let people be warned of what seems to be happening

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby teuchter2012 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:21 pm

The ban on sending spirits by royal mail only applies to international shipping although there is word that they will eventually ban UK shipping in the future.
teuchter2012

Postby richard » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:05 pm

my friend who told me is not sure wether which botles have been stopped international or uk we will have to wait and see

but as teucther said at the moment it only affects inter national at this moment

becareful as some bottles have been emptied of there contents by custom abroad
we shall have to wait and see what happens

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Scottie » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:35 pm

So much for eBay banning whisky sales from 14th Feb.
Loads of new listings on today.
Scottie

Postby teuchter2012 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:13 am

So much for their 20 year old rule too. A bottle sold last week that was bottled less than a year ago. I still think the removed listings are the result of unscrupulous sellers reporting the competition and e bay blindly going along with them. Its time they wisened up.
teuchter2012

Postby richard » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:45 pm

most of the ardbegs do not comply with ebays rules
but they dont seem to doing anything about it a bit of a joke do as i say not as i do
we will have to wait and see what happens

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby richard » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:39 pm

there isnt a lot of whisky on ebay the few that are on there because the way they have been worded forgot to mention they are whisky??

when trying to relist a item as soon as you enter whisky it wont let you

i posted some bottles the other day i mentioned to the lady behind the counter
about overseas postage for alcahol not being allowed
she told me they are going to do the same in the uk about july time

richard
Silver Member

Postby John Barleycorn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:09 pm

richard wrote:she told me they are going to do the same in the uk about july time

Ya that was the information I was also given at my local post office a few weeks ago. I don’t know if this will apply to business users or just to Jo public but whichever way you look at it the post office are shooting themselves in the foot.

A great opportunity for the other courier services, think I may set something up myself. :thumbsup:

Cheers John
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Postby Scottie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:11 am

Why should business users get preference over Joe Public? Surely the rules should be the same for all?
Looks like auction rooms will soon be the only place to buy and sell whisky.
Good news for McTears, Bonhams etc.
Scottie

Postby richard » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:52 am

the latest way to get around ebay whisky rules is not to mention whisky in the title :P

i know what you mean scottie why should buisness be different from us sellers or buyers as it affects both :headbang:

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby DaysAtPreamble » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:09 am

Richard, you had previously mentioned something about what I will quote below:

"- The value of the listed item is in the collectible container, not its contents.

- The container has not been opened, and any incidental contents are not intended for consumption.

- The item is not available at any retail outlet, and the container has a value that substantially exceeds the current retail price of the alcohol in the container.

- As the seller, you will take steps to ensure that the buyer of the collectible container is of lawful age in the buyer and seller's jurisdiction and you are in compliance with any and all applicable laws and shipping regulations in carrying out the transaction."

This page is acting goofy for me all of a sudden and I'm unable to go back and read the rest of this all, but I did get that part copied. I'm new here, and don't mean to rehash what has already been said, but is this a workaround? While it isn't whiskey, I am currently looking at a listing for a limited edition Romero Britto bottle of Absolut (a least favorite of mine) vodka (which I don't *believe* is available in stores) with that exact same quoted material in the listing.

What are your thoughts? Again, I'm sorry this isn't currently loading for me, as I'm sure you've all answered this by now...

Regards!
DaysAtPreamble

Postby richard » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:20 pm

i believe ebay have banned alcahol as a whole but some bottles are getting through
ebay cant seem to sort any thing out a poor show by them

that is ebay uk and ebay usa have stopped seling alcahol

saying that its very patchy a lot of people say they are complying with all ebay rules and dont realise they are not as ebay cant organise a pissup in a brewery to say the least

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby DaysAtPreamble » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:38 pm

Ha. Thanks for the reply. What's the worst they can do? Pull your item and suspend your account? Ban you?

I might try this anyway, because I really have no desire for these bottles of crappy vodka with neat bottles.
DaysAtPreamble

Postby teuchter2012 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:58 pm

Check out ebays German site. No restrictions on whisky sales there. Do they have different alcohol laws to us? I don't think so. Making mugs of the Brits as usual methinks.
teuchter2012

Postby Scottie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:23 am

Following advice from a previous poster (not even sure if it was on this forum) I tried to list a bottle on eBay Germany - and it was removed.
Maybe I was doing something wrong as my German is non-existant.
Scottie

PreviousNext

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder