Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Caperdonich 1967

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Caperdonich 1967

Postby WestVanDave » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:41 pm

I had an enquiry from someone trying to place a value on the Caperdonich 1967:

"I have a personal stock of 700ml. Caperdonich 1967, single malt, cask bottled. On occasion, I have donated a bottle to charity auctions. While grateful for the donation and always a successful item at auction, charities usually wish to establish a dollar value for the gift and have had difficulty in arriving at a substantiated valuation."

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

bottle

Postby richard » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:31 pm

hi dave whats the strength how old i will try to give you an idea

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:09 am

I have more info on the Caperdonich(s):

1- It is aged 36 years
2- It is an award winner from Jim Murray's 2005 Whisky Bible
3- The strength is 57.6

There are bottles from a series: Members Legacy, (either cask #4945 or 4947) - part of a four hogshead Caperdonich selection bottling from casks # 4945-48 inclusive.

The Platinum Old and Rare Caperdonich Aged 36 years was bottled by Douglas Laing (cask 4946)and their stock has since been sold out. This product was awarded by Jim Murray's Whiskey Bible 2005, the placing of Scotch Single Malt of the Year and the Best New Scotch Single Malt of the Year (single cask).

Douglas Laing will be bottling their other cask (4948) in the spring of this year.

Again - any insight would be helpful.

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby islayjunkie » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:25 am

Is a bidding war appropriate here?

I was born in 1967. This bottle would mean a lot to me ;)

Just kidding... about the bidding war I mean. I couldn't afford it.
islayjunkie
Silver Member

Postby richard » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:14 pm

havent had much success ass yet dave will carry on and post a reply as soon as i can

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:54 pm

Seems to me that when DL releases the next bottling, you'll have a pretty good baseline estimate to give to the auctioners. If you claimed the donation as a tax deduction, would you give the price you paid, or some sort of estimate for increased value? I guess the auction would set that. At the least, they could tell prospective bidders "This bottle retailed for £x and is now no longer available." I don't see any way to set an auction value without actually having the auction. I'm not helping, am I? I guess the question is whether and how you could find out if similar bottles had been recently auctioned.
Deactivated Member

Postby rthomson » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:03 am

I'm curious to know as I was born in 1967 as well. Been thinking about purchasing a single malt from that year for use at the appropriate time (2007?). As far as a price I can't really be of help to you as of yet. I'll keep looking into it as my curiosity is now getting the better of me-
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby FG » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:38 pm

Hi,

I found the Caperdonich Douglas Laing Platinum 1967 36y. 57,9 for 106,- GBP at Soho Whisky, London.

http://www.sohowhisky.com/whisky.select.asp?catid=24

Must be great stuff - great tasting notes.

Enjoy your dram,
Frank
FG

Postby WestVanDave » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:22 am

Thanks Frank: I don't own the Caperdonich though. :( I had an enquiry from someone who has some - and offered to donate a bottle to auction at our West Coast Whisky Society Burns Dinner, thus the desire to determine a value.

One of his bottles was at a fundraiser I attended last night for a local hospital with a reserve bid of $500 Cdn - and it sold for $900 Cdn - a bit of a premium over the Douglas Laing bottling in the link you provided: £106.00. :shock:

However, there seems to be some confusion - in that this was not a Douglas Laing bottling. Instead it was labelled as a Members Legacy. I don't know if they are one and the same - or if this person is inaccurately referencing the Douglas Laing bottling while describing his Members Legacy bottling? :?

Does anyone know the difference - if any?

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:03 pm

It loks to me as though the award went specifically to the Douglas Laing cask - the award could not be claimed by the two adjacent casks but you could make quite clear that they are adjacent to the award winner.
Deactivated Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder