Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What is a fair price when selling to an online retailer?

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

What is a fair price when selling to an online retailer?

Postby Iteuchter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi,

I have contacted a number of the major online whisky retailers who buy rare and limited edition bottles and some have expressed an interest in come of my collection.

I'd be grateful for any advice on what mark up they seek to achieve and thus what a fair asking price is. For example, I have 5 bottles of a limited edition that is listed as out of stock on many sites at £200. What would be a fair price for me to ask for/for them to offer? I have seen it at auction for c£130 (but obviously I'd get 10-20% less).

Also how does the mark up vary with price? Do retailers seek to achieve a similar mark up on a £50 bottle as a £500 bottle.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks
Iteuchter

Re: What is a fair price when selling to an online retailer?

Postby richard » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:33 pm

you have to remember whisky shops have to pay vat and staff so thats included in there offer
your best bet is see what they offer and make your own mind up
theres no right or wrong
the choice is yours

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby bredman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:56 am

Iteuchter wrote: Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks

I don't think you'll get many numbers and %. For those who collect and occasionally sell, and also speculators after quick cash, none will consider selling to a retailer as they'd be the worst buyers out there. The best option now is to sell through an auction house.

If you're determined then just note down the quote and compare offers for each bottle. If you're happy then accept.

Then you can let us know. :D
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Scottie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:04 am

Retailers will generally offer you 50% of their retail price, citing overheads such as wages, vat, rent/rates etc and of course profit.
Possibly get more at auction but then you're taking a chance.
Scottie

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder