Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How to value a unique bottle? (Springbank)

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

How to value a unique bottle? (Springbank)

Postby photojonny » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:12 pm

A few years ago I won a unique personal bottling by winning a Springbank competition. I posted the details on this forum here:

http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11036

At the time, as I noted in that thread, I was planning on opening it on a special occasion. However times change, some financial pressures have hit, and I'm trying to work out if this is worth anything in monetary terms. One one hand it has my name, and no age statement, so may be of little value to anyone else. On the other, it is completely unique.

Any idea how to value such a thing, other than eBaying it and seeing what happens?
photojonny
Bronze Member

Re: How to value a unique bottle? (Springbank)

Postby bredman » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:24 pm

Ebay no longer allows the sale of any alcohol product. You could send it to one of the auction houses. I'd be wary on a valuation from anyone who wants to sell it for you, it's worth what ever someone will pay.

These seem to be well organised.

http://www.scotchwhiskyauctions.com/
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Wee Robbie » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:41 am

The financial pressures will go away. You'll never get another dram like this and will kick your butt if you sell it. IMHO this bottle will not buy a car or save you from losing your house, but is a very nice keepsake.
Wee Robbie
Wee Robbie

Postby Ganga » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:15 pm

I agree with Robbie.

Very hard to determine something that is unique like this. Those that would drink are wary of quality. Those that do not, have no idea of the interest. It has to be more than the standard 10 which is around $60 US. 15 is around $100 US. 18 is pushing $150 US. The person most likely to pay a large premium is someone that actually collects Springbank specifically.
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder