Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cadenhead Springbank

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Cadenhead Springbank

Postby Aidan » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:02 am

I have a Cadenhead Authentic Collection 10 yrs old - 60.5%. It was distilled in November 1985 and bottled in November 1995. Anyone know if this has any value?

I know I am going to be told to drink it, but I am not a huge Springbank fan, although I do like it.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:11 pm

Aidan - My guess is that it doesn't have any great value. Cadenheads shift a lot of Springbank and I imagine that few of their bottlings (of any whisky) get terribly well known. Their labels are dull, which means that most of their stuff has little appeal beyond the contents of the bottle. Some of the closed distilleries or oddballs might be collectable, but most would probably be worth around about what you'd pay for a new bottle. Incidentally, Cadenheads still have some 1995 bottlings on their shelves. Earlier this year, I got a Braes of Glenlivet that had spent 8 years in cask and 10 years on Mr Cadenhead's shelf.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:41 pm

Nick - I was hoping someone would say I could retire and live off the income of the bottle. Oh well.

Anyway, i think it's quite a nice item, and I didn't pay much for it at all (EUR 30).

Thanks
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:49 pm

For all I know, it might be the most valuable bottle of whisky in the world and would fetch millions at auction. Personally, I wouldn't bid more for it than Mr Cadenhead is charging for a new bottle, but others might know something that I don't.

I would find it very helpful if there were more proper, independent tasting notes for Cadenhead's whiskies. Without them, it can be a real lottery buying their bottlings.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:54 pm

Actually, maybe I should start this on a new thread, but I got 6 bottles together in the post. Unfortunately, one of them was broken in transit, so my house smells like An Cnoc, which is not too bad a smell, I suppose.

I also got a Cragganmore 12, a Scapa 1986, a Dallas Dhu 21 yr old, a Royal Lochnagar and the Springbank.
Aidan

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:03 pm

I really like the An Cnoc 12 however I'm glad that my house is not so polluted.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Aidan » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:39 pm

The smell is gone with the packaging. I have to go into our shed to sample the smell of An Cnoc now...
Aidan

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder