Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

WELLER'S ORIGINAL 7 years old

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

WELLER'S ORIGINAL 7 years old

Postby normd » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:20 am

I have a very old bottle of Weller's Original Bourbon 7 years old. Still has Maryland Exise Tax stamps on and US Internal Revenue red seal on top. Label also says ORIGINAL PROOF. Have searched but can not find a reference to 7 year Aged Wellers?
Would this be of interest to a collector?
Thank you ......... Norm
normd

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:38 pm

There still are today two 7yo Weller brands -- W.L. Weller Special Reserve (90 proof) and Old Weller Antique 107 (proof). Both have histories that extend back quite a ways, so I suspect you have a past bottling of one of those. The Antique 107 has also been known as Old Weller 107 Brand and Old Weller Original 107.
The bourbons are the same except for the proof, according to Ken Weber of Buffalo Trace, which now owns the brand. However, your older tax-stamped bottling would have come from the Stitzel-Weller distillery, which has been mothballed since 1992 because of asbestos-related issues. It produced, quite simply, the finest wheat-flavored bourbon since Prohibition. So, if you enjoy fine bourbon, open it.
As to collector value, there is a limited, small market for old bourbons, which were produced in industrial-sized production runs, so are seldom rare, even in older editions, unless an unusual or special bottling. The most accurate statement would be that it is worth what someone is willing to pay you. And that will vary, depending on who happens to be aware of your sale. Try Ebay, if you wish to sell.
Deactivated Member

Postby normd » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:28 pm

Many thanks Tim,
Yes, the label does state Distilled and Bottled by:Stitzel-Weller Distillery. I am really more of a Scotch drinker but I am tempted to open it to savor a good Bourbon which would be a new experience for me.
By the way, the label states it is 107 Proof. The top is completly sealed with the Internal Revenue red strip. There must have been some evaporation as the bourbon is is about an inch below the bottom of the neck of the bottle.
It sure looks tempting !!!
I realy appreciate your comment and wish you well. Regards Norm.
normd

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder