Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenlivet, distilled 1937.

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Glenlivet, distilled 1937.

Postby Aidan » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:41 am

Anyone know anything about this?

Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:54 am

Hi Aidan,
looks like one of Gordon & MacPhail’s ‘Rare Vintage Range’ bottles. If it’s for real, it’s a beauty! :D
What strikes me a little bit curious though is the label. It shows ‘1937’ as the year of distillation (in a variation to their standard label, though – but that might happen). And it’s supposed to be a Cask Strength at 57,8%.
Now, a quick research on Gordon & MacPhails homepage shows that most of their Rare Vintage Range expressions are diluted to 40% or 43% (as their CC's are as well). There are of course Cask Strength versions – but they’re labeled completely different (you'll find examples under 'Our Range' and 'Whisky Tasting Notes').
It might be nothing more than a storm in a dram – but why not check with Gordon & MacPhails?
http://www.gordonandmacphail.com/index.html
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:50 pm

Thanks Bernstein

I e-mailed them just now on your advice. I'll see what they say. Anyway, obviously I hope it's for real as I've bought it...
Aidan

Postby richard » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:47 pm

hi aidan i had the same ideas as bernstein i looked at the whisky exchange as he has photos of most of what he sells i havent seen a glenlivet that looks that old at that proof but that doesnt meen to say anythings wrong
where did you buy it from and can i ask what you paid for as well and how old do you think the whisky is as i thought it might have a neck label it might be worth talking to sukinder at twe or martin green at mctears
hope this helps and everything is okay

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:00 pm

I sent you a pm, richard.

Anyway, it will be nice if it's for real.
Aidan

Postby Lawrence » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:03 pm

I tried several whiskies with that label in the George in Inverary two years ago from Glenlivet, they were very good.

Also Loch Fyne Whiskies has some of these bottles on their website at very reasonable prices. This label is the genuine product and is not a fake.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Aidan » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:23 pm

Thanks

I've also seen them at the whisky exchange, but for much higher prices.

Anyway, I think I got mine for a very good price.

My concern is that I've never seen these at cask strength before. Anyway, mine is still in the post, so I might never even get it. ..
Aidan

Postby richard » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:32 pm

hi lawrence did you ever get the christies auction books this applies to any one else i await anybodys reply

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:38 pm

Nope, never saw the Christies book but I have an older (2003) "Collecting Malt Whisky" .

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby richard » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:11 pm

without you seeing the book i cant explain i will see if i can do something about it at my end

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Iain » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:33 pm

Is it true that whisky loses strength the longer it remains in the cask? The label on this one (distilled 1937?) claims a pretty high abv of 57.8 - I wonder when it was bottled?

I note that it is a 75 cls bottle, so if it was intended for an EC market then it must have been bottled pre-1992. More likely it was bottled for US market? The tax strip on the neck/cap will confirm or deny that notion, once it arrives in the post. The back label too. If it was bottled for US, this might explain some label anomalies?

I'm sure G&M have records of all their recent-ish 75 cls bottlings and will supply the info you need. Hope it's ok!
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:16 pm

Thanks Ian

I e-mailed G&M and I'm sure they'll get back soon. I have seen very old whiskeys with high abvs, so this is possible. I think it just varies from cask to cask.
Aidan

Postby Lawrence » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:07 am

I think it just varies from cask to cask.

That is 100% accurate.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby richard » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:53 pm

hi aidan any joy from gordon and mcphails

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:04 pm

Hi Richard - no, nor from the whisky exchange. I would say it might take them a while to reply etc.

I have got the bottle, though, and it looks fine. The name of the importer is on it too - Sestante Import SRL - Parma.
Aidan

Postby richard » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:48 pm

thanks aidan let us know the results and i hope its good news

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby bernstein » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:45 pm

Aidan wrote:I have got the bottle, though, and it looks fine. The name of the importer is on it too - Sestante Import SRL - Parma.

Hi Aidan - looks fairly good to me - Sestante Import SRL - Parma is listed as importer with quite a few bottlings at mctears. Looks like you've got a real gem!
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Iain » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:30 pm

Strangely, there are a lot of old Sestante-imported Macallan-Glenlivets, distilled 1937, listed in old Mctears auction pages. Haven't found any TGs from 1937 yet.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:39 am

I wonder why there's no age statement on the bottle. There are a few different vintages reviewed in The Whisky Bible too.
Aidan

Postby Iain » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:16 am

The G&M Glenlivet 1937 on the Whisky Exchange site appears with the claim "Bottled About 1985". The contents are given in fluid ounces, so presumably it was bottled for the UK market.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:44 am

Ian, yeah, I saw they were bottled about then. I'd say they were all bottled pretty much the same time. That would make this about 50 yrs old. It's interesting that it also has a screw cap.
Aidan

Postby Aidan » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:51 am

I contacted Gordon & Macphail and they were very helpful. They deserve top marks. So far, they believe it is perfectly fine.
Aidan

Postby bernstein » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:45 pm

Splendid! :D
Good to hear that, Aidan.
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:18 pm

Thanks Bernstein

I've now bought a similar bottle as well, although it's a 15 yr old bottled in the 1980s - same kind of label. There are modern vintages available too.
Aidan

screw cap malt!

Postby chunky » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:45 am

Aidan wrote:Ian, yeah, I saw they were bottled about then. I'd say they were all bottled pretty much the same time. That would make this about 50 yrs old. It's interesting that it also has a screw cap.

hi!! Im a virgin here, I strayed onto this site and obviosly onto this issue, and this matter re. the cap it made me laugh, would you if spent most of your life producing a malt and carefuly nurturing the amber liquid, rotating the barrels, so the angels didnt take too much until ready for bottling, would you put it in a coke bottle? or would you provide a more dignified means of protecting the contents (vapour or liquid)? Dont want to dampen the "spirits" but please show me the ropes if any other established distiler bottles the same way :?:

Ps did they have the means to press screw caps this way in 1985?
chunky

Postby Aidan » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:57 am

Hi Chunky

According to Gordon and Macphail, they did use screwcaps. Also, similar bottles in this range all used screwcaps. It's just a presentation thing really, as corks do nothing for the whisky. I actually prefer a screwcap.
Aidan

Postby chunky » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:57 pm

Hi Aiden

following my notes re the "screwcap" I did alittle research into aged whiskeys and to my astonishment noticed several more bottles with the afore mentioned closure. I would have thought that cork, being neutral in flavourings would be the prefered choise over metalic materials (although plastic coated). If you collect Malts for an investment (ltd bottels), would you trust a metal cap to prevent contamination of the liquid gold :?:
chunky

Postby Aidan » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:50 am

Hi Chunky

For preserving the whisky, a screwcap would probably be better than a cork, as corks can become contaminated, although this is rare. I think more and more wines are moving towards screwcaps for this reason. Most of these would be young wines that are meant to be consumed young.

That said, most whiskies from this era do have corks, so this is a bit unusual.
Aidan

Postby Aidan » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:32 pm

I bought this Glenlivet a good while ago that I later thought might be suspect, because I had never seen this bottle before. So I posted its details here, e-mailed malt maniacs, e-mailed Gordon and MacPhail with comprehensive details (photos and bottle details), and then sent it to a whisky auctioneer/valuer expressing my concerns. Gordon & MacPhail said that they believed it to be genuine, as did the valuer. Nobody else could really tell me if it was real or not, so I assumed it was genuine. I sold it with the auctioneer. I don't know what the story with it is now. What if it turns out that it is not genuine, as Malt Maniacs now have doubts about it?
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:47 pm

I don't know the law in Ireland, but the law here (I think) is that you would be obliged to refund money of someone to whom you had sold it if they proved it to be a fake. You would then seek a refund from whomever sold you the bottle, and so on back down the line. If anyone could be proven to have sold it as genuine whilst knowing it to be fake, then they could be convicted of fraud. Selling an itemn in good faith that later proved to be fake would probably not result in conviction for an offence.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:55 pm

Well if it is a fake, the buyer diserves his or her money back, that's for sure.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:23 pm

chunky wrote:Hi Aiden

following my notes re the "screwcap" I did alittle research into aged whiskeys and to my astonishment noticed several more bottles with the afore mentioned closure. I would have thought that cork, being neutral in flavourings would be the prefered choise over metalic materials (although plastic coated). If you collect Malts for an investment (ltd bottels), would you trust a metal cap to prevent contamination of the liquid gold :?:

Believe it or not the screw cap is supposed to prevent ulage better than the cork tops. But it does depend on how secure the cap is in the first place. I seen some fairly recent screw tops (10yrs in a bottle) with severe ulage. But the cork is asthetically much nicer. By the way welcome to the Forum Chunky...
irishwhiskeychaser

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder