Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Help date this old bottle of Johnnie Walker

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

Help date this old bottle of Johnnie Walker

Postby Robert_Haines » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:49 pm

I have an unopened bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label which is at least 50 years old. I *think* it dates somewhere between 1947 and 1956, but I'd love to know its age more precisely and certainly.

• The top is corked and wired-on, and covered with a gold-colored lead foil capsule that reads "Extra Special" in raised lettering on the top. This resembles the closures from at least 1930 until screw caps came in in the '60s. From my research, it seems that from 1943-47, many (if not all) Black Label bottles lacked the lead foil covering over the cap, and used a Kork-n-Seal cap instead of a proper cork. So, either pre-1943, post 1947, or undatable by the cork.
  • The lower label says nothing about the Royal Warrant that George V granted in 1934. I know that the Royal Warrant appeared on the bottle from 1934-43, and then reappeared in 1957, under the Queen's Warrant. This bottle lacks a Warrant. So, it's either from 1944-1956, or it's possible that it predates 1934.
  • The base of the bottle has "JW13" cast into it. I don't know if this correlates to the year of bottling, but it must indicate something.
  • The main label lacks any mention of Canada Dry who, AFAIK, had exclusive US distribution from the end of Prohibition (1930) onward. So, it's either pre-Prohibition, or it wasn't intended for the US Market.
  • There are no excise or revenue stamps, bands or labels anywhere on the bottle. This also suggests it was not intended for the US market.

The fill is good, and the bottle is in excellent condition, with small losses to the upper corners of the shoulder label being the only problems I can see.

Any help in dating the bottle would be greatly appreciated! -and, of course, if anyone wanted to venture a guess as to its value, that would be nice too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert_Haines

Re: Help date this old bottle of Johnnie Walker

Postby Robert_Haines » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:51 pm

more images
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert_Haines

Postby Ganga » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:49 am

Does it indicate the quantity? US was 4/5 quarts pre-1972.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Robert_Haines » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:22 pm

Ganga wrote:Does it indicate the quantity? US was 4/5 quarts pre-1972.

Nope. All of the labels are pictured above, and there's no mention of the quantity contained. But the bottle is much earlier than 1972, so that's kind of an academic point.
Robert_Haines

Postby corbuso » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:41 pm

From the look, I would guess end of the 1950s-1960s.
corbuso
Gold Member

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder