Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What have you bought to collect?

Do you have a 50 year old vintage waiting to be discovered by a worthy collector? Post your details here and find out!
Forum rules
Please note items can not be offered for sale on this forum.

What have you bought to collect?

Postby Onefortheditch » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:03 pm

What bottle or bottles have you recently bought to collect as opposed to drink?

My most recent one was a 20YO, Old Malt Cask, Cask Strength, Macallan distilled in 1993. I bought it without doing any research as I thought it must be in safe investment territory. Now that I’ve looked at auction examples of similar bottles, I’m thinking that may have been a mistake and I may just drink it.

But, as I tasted it in the Whisky Shop, it will be a pleasant mistake.
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Re: What have you bought to collect?

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:20 pm

I've always said that I was buying for drinking rather than collecting, but given the number of bottles in the house these days that position begins to look disingenuous. My only defense is that with whisky prices rising at the rate they are, it's good to have stocks. I do occasionally buy something, because I'm trying to fill in a hole in a lineup, like the odd Laga 12yo for instance, but I do intend to have a mega tasting with these things one day.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:52 am

Mega-tasting eh? You have my number.

RE: collecting whisky - I have begun to liquidate my liquid assets. BC (Before Children) I could afford bottles so thankfully I acquired some nice ones - I slowly stopped this admirable habit much to my current financial frustration but a Rare Malts Brora 1972, a The Whisky Shop Brora 1972 222 bottles (one of the best whiskies I've tried) and half a dozen lovely Port Ellens are comforting. Douglas Laing prices are impressive but they were in at the beginning of the IB trend for sale/demand price tags, all the others will eventually follow I guess. Boo.

So I haven't bought anything to collect for a while but iif I did it would start with a 'B' and end in a 'rora'.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:01 pm

It is a fair point that if you are looking for investment bottles the game is getting harder as IBs and OBs are increasingly priced at the top of the market.
Willie JJ

Postby Ganga » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:28 am

Willie JJ wrote:I've always said that I was buying for drinking rather than collecting, but given the number of bottles in the house these days that position begins to look disingenuous. My only defense is that with whisky prices rising at the rate they are, it's good to have stocks. I do occasionally buy something, because I'm trying to fill in a hole in a lineup, like the odd Laga 12yo for instance, but I do intend to have a mega tasting with these things one day.

2015? :iwbrnt:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:16 pm

:D

I can only do that one if I manage to pick up the 5th and 6th releases though.

Plenty things to try if I don't have them.
Willie JJ

Postby Ganga » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:31 am

I was alluding to my plans to invade Scotland. Me and my Viking heritage. :thumbsup:

If only they had realized that some things are more precious than gold. :smoke:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:19 pm

Yes I understood, but don't want to do the Laga tasting until they are all present and correct. I need the 2005 & 2006 releases
Willie JJ

Postby Ganga » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:01 am

Well now you have a time frame.... :thumbsup:

Maybe have to bring over some US releases not available there. :iwbrnt:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Onefortheditch » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:27 pm

jmrl wrote: So I haven't bought anything to collect for a while but iif I did it would start with a 'B' and end in a 'rora'.

I have been thinking of buying a Brora to collect for years, but haven't got round to it. But I do have a distillery only cask strength 14 YO Clynelish which I bought a few years back and hurriedly tried at the distillery. It never shows up in any auction though so I don't know how its doing investment wise.
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:07 pm

Willie JJ wrote:...with whisky prices rising at the rate they are, it's good to have stocks.

Would that I'd known that back in the 1970s and early 1980s. Alas, the 'golden era' of veritable bargains appears to now be nothing more than an historical footnote. And official distillery releases from presently closed sites that could be had for a song now fetch ridiculous prices through specialty retailers and/or auction houses.

Not that I would ever have purchased anything merely to collect and not to drink, mind you. :wink:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:20 am

Agreed TTD...on all counts. Though I have purchased a number of the older Tamdhu 10s since they are about 1/3 the cost of the 10s from the new owner. Who knows, if I forget about them they may become collectible. But alas, I'm know good at saving whisky. :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:46 pm

I think the really disturbing thing is the disappearance of low cost bottles even from obscure distilleries. Everyone seems to want the prices charged by the big brands and as they lift their prices the big brands push on up to differentiate themselves. The price of 18yo Macallan is now insane.
Willie JJ

Postby Ganga » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:40 am

I hear you Willie. I don't think they see the future. It is going to be difficult to replace the enthusiasts because they will never get started because there is no budget whisky to start with. Even Fiddich and Livet are nearing $30 now (they were around 17 when I started).
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:33 pm

Those bottles are about £30 here now and those companies are the ones that have longest resisted the price increases in the standard bottlings. Diageo typically look for around £40 for their entry level whiskies now and others are worse.

The view from the industry is that the potential for expansion into new markets is so great that there is no medium term prospect of a downturn. I share your view that this is shortsighted, but I think we can expect it to get worse for the forseeable future.
Willie JJ

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:51 pm

Willie JJ wrote:The price of 18yo Macallan is now insane.

Haven't bought a bottle in eons, though I do periodically sample newer releases.

I suppose this speaks well for my 'sanity'. :wink:

As to the issue of newer expanding markets allied to increased consumer demand for premium and ultra-premium whiskies driving prices for most products higher and higher, I can't help but suspect that the executive and managerial levels of many spirits companies are underestimating the volatility of the marketplace and the potential for a rather sudden and severe downturn in sales.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:30 pm

The argument is that they are now operating in so many markets that downturns in some will be compensated for by gains in others. Personally I think that it is still an optimistic outlook and a strategy that is in any case open to only the largest of players.
Willie JJ

Postby Ganga » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:23 pm

Maybe they're trying to drive us to low-end blends... :lol:

I think you have their reasoning correct. However, if you are not bringing in new folks you could end up in the same situation as the 1980s. I would expect the young folks to end up with things like vodka and rum instead because they don't want to throw down for the money for the entry level stuff.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:52 pm

I agree. I foresee a lot of cheap whisky during our declining years :D
Willie JJ

Postby Gogo73 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:07 am

I actually did not bought anything for a collection, I have two bottles as gifts. May be I should buy something cheap and let it age.
Gogo73

Postby Onefortheditch » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:40 pm

I’ve just bought 2 bottles of Glenmorangie Ealanta to collect at the distillery. The lady in the shop said they started out at £90, but were now £140 and there was less than 400 bottles left. They were supposed to last 4 years, but have gone in months!

Then took the dog a walk on Dornoch beach. What a pleasant day!

And bought a Quinta Ruben to have a dram tonight. :)
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:18 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Those bottles are about £30 here now and those companies are the ones that have longest resisted the price increases in the standard bottlings. Diageo typically look for around £40 for their entry level whiskies now and others are worse.

The view from the industry is that the potential for expansion into new markets is so great that there is no medium term prospect of a downturn. I share your view that this is shortsighted, but I think we can expect it to get worse for the forseeable future.

It wasn't that long ago I bought a Tomatin Legacy from the distillery for £25. There is still some low cost quality around. And Tesco's Islay malt for £21 is nice too.
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:29 pm

Onefortheditch wrote:There is still some low cost quality around.

I don't disagree with that, but it's draining out of the market fairly rapidly.
Willie JJ

Return to Collector's Corner

Whisky gift and present finder